Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 3)

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014

If I hadn't been corrected I would've realized I was wrong with this - another 2024 draftee signed.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Incorrect, think logically, defected player isn’t signed to a card, how does he count if he’s defected and not signed?
I meant if he is signed. Two seasons ago Sam Dickinson who London traded for and signed. He counted against their four underage. When Sudbury traded for Michael Hage he didn’t because he did not sign with them.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I meant if he is signed. Two seasons ago Sam Dickinson who London traded for and signed. He counted against their four overages. When Sudbury traded for Michael Hage he didn’t because he did not sign with them.
we are arguing the same thing, but dickinson was not an overage, hes a 16 year old.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

If I hadn't been corrected I would've realized I was wrong with this - another 2024 draftee signed.
I think they’re signing these guys so they go play in the OJHL or GOJHL for a year and develop and they don’t miss on those type of guys anymore like they did with Bruno Luciano and Matthew Manza who just needed a year to develop first

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I think they’re signing these guys so they go play in the OJHL or GOJHL for a year and develop and they don’t miss on those type of guys anymore like they did with Bruno Luciano and Matthew Manza who just needed a year to develop first
Agreed - also probably because they know they're going to have quite a few roster spots available in 25-26 after most of the '05s move on.

As far as Manza goes I'd have to assume he was heavily leaning NCAA all year - draft year stats-wise its the only thing that makes sense why he dropped so far.

With Bruno - he was a 13th rounder that was drafted at 5'4" 125lbs - we get on Thibodeau about his size, imagine how small Bruno would've looked (he's still only listed at 5'9" 161lbs) . I don't think anyone is signing a player at that size.

My guess is that he's realized he's a late bloomer especially in terms of size and late bloomers tend to have a better shot at a pro career through the NCAA route where he can polish his game, fill out physcially and potentially be signed at 22-23.

I don't know if it was part of their plan with the '07 draft but it seems like quite a few guys ended up going NCAA - maybe they took flyers on high-impact guys knowing there may not be a ton of roster spots with all the '05s.

Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OKAY we all like to cheer for our alumni when they are going for the cup.

Fronts fans have 2 choices that are both producing for their teams.

Who are you cheering for

Sam Bennet

or Jason Robertson.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
OKAY we all like to cheer for our alumni when they are going for the cup.

Fronts fans have 2 choices that are both producing for their teams.

Who are you cheering for

Sam Bennet

or Jason Robertson.
Robertson but love Bennett. Hoping for a Florida vs Dallas cup final

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Puck preps had this to say about Weir for next season.

“Ethan Weir | Forward | Kingston Frontenacs
Weir, who was selected 42nd overall in the 2023 priority selection, only found his way into the Fronts lineup on five occasions this year but had a stellar season with St. Mary’s in the GOJHL, where he put up 18 goals, and 38 points in just 34 contests. He also tallied 11 goals and 20 points in 24 playoff games for St. Mary’s while showing tremendously at the GOJHL Top Prospects event earlier this season. Ethan is a super-talented playmaker who sees the ice extraordinarily well. Not only can he create space for himself, but he also protects the puck so well. This buys him more time in the offensive zone to make a play toward a teammate and display elite playmaking. With some shakeup coming to the forward group in Kingston next season, expect Weir to be a contributing member to that top 9, possibly even the top 6.”

I fully expect Weir and Hopkins to both have breakout seasons. Hoping for the same with Velliaris but still may be another year before he’s an impact player. But I do think he will be on our roster this year.

Then when some of the 05s graduate the year after I’m sure these guys when they get more ice time will take another jump
(along with frasca, Battaglia and williamson.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad