Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
We got a public day off after winning the bronze last year :laugh: that was a bit too excessive, but it's quite refreshing seeing the passion past couple of years after the Covid period.

Prague was absolutely nuts last night. Even Slovak games were packed in Czechia throughout the tournament with a great atmosphere.

I was encouraged by the US roster, I think they had a much better lineup than other years but somehow that didn't result in much.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Dostal tried to score on the empty in the finals too. Too bad he didn't score in either of the weekend games but I am sure he's happy regardless. BTW he is going to train in Finland this summer.
Yeah saw that. And it was not the first time in this tourney. He has ice in his veins.

Saw it on mainboards but apparently he got the shutout vs Swiss, Finland, US. Incredible performance throughout and especially in crunch time. Their team was great as well, but Dostal played incredible.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
I was astonished by Dostal’s interviews in the Czech press after each of his games. He was almost unnaturally calm and unexcited, especially for a 23 year old, and mature for his age.

He just wanted to focus on his game and was uninterested in anything going on around him and the enthusiasm the team generated in the country.

And that enthusiasm was incredible: for example, Czech TV reported that 76% of TVs switched on in the country on Saturday (semifinals) were showing ice hockey. The numbers for Sunday (finals) I have not seen yet, but presumably higher. Shops (including huge supermarket chains) closed early at 7pm, so that their employees could go and watch the final starting at 8:20pm. All major city squares in all major Czech towns had giant screens on and were packed to the rafters.

EDIT: The number on Sunday was 82%!! That is in addition to many, many thousands filling the main squares of every Czech city which had huge viewing screens set up. Incredible. Really pretty much the entire country.

Last edited:

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
How was Dostal not the Mvp? Dude was the reason they even made it to the finals. Hope it's a huge confidence booster.

I'd like to see the Toronto media try to say no name again

Reactions: lwvs84

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Pastrnak was on Chiclets yesterday and he said he was incredibly impressed by Dostal. He also said he wanted to kill Dostal when he went for a goalie goal in the gold medal game.
I get it, and not just because I couldn’t dream of scoring a goal from near my net. Had this gone just a little more wrong, Lukas could have turned himself from a national hero into a disgrace - it was an absolutely wild decision to attempt that in this situation. But it didn’t, and it does speak volumes about how he isn’t influenced by the gravity of the moment and just continues to play the way he feels comfortable.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
How was Dostal not the Mvp? Dude was the reason they even made it to the finals. Hope it's a huge confidence booster.

I'd like to see the Toronto media try to say no name again
Well, he did make it into the tournament’s all star team! But Kevin Fiala was tournament MVP, which I get. He was astonishingly good for Switzerland and crucial to their advance to the goal medal game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad