GWT: Europa/Conference League - Knockouts

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Ball control 67-33 for Leverkusen, completed passes 84 % vs. 71 % etc. Atalanta won because they wanted it more and greedily exploited the unforced individual mistakes their opponent made.
That's a silly take, mostly said by lazy pundits who are pretty casual in how they analyze or follow the game.

These guys train every day. Everyone to the level of where it isn't actually healthy for your body, some to the level where they puke after each more intense session (I have actually played with some of these guys, quite literally every intense training session they ended up in puking afterwards, but they wouldn't stop).
They spend hours with the coaches, studying videos and analyzing their own play and the opponents.
They go to bed early and spend ages away from their family (compared to your average human).
They most don't eat junk food but planned out healthy meals to optimize their ability and stamina.

Etc etc.

And then, when they reach an international final, they apparently cannot be arsed and lose because the other team "wanted it more"?

No, that's not how it goes.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Have you seen the match? Some Bayer players were so far below their usual level that partying a bit too hard after winning the title might be the obvious explanation. I'm sure they wanted it, not sure how much they had left in the tank..

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
That's a silly take, mostly said by lazy pundits who are pretty casual in how they analyze or follow the game.

These guys train every day. Everyone to the level of where it isn't actually healthy for your body, some to the level where they puke after each more intense session (I have actually played with some of these guys, quite literally every intense training session they ended up in puking afterwards, but they wouldn't stop).
They spend hours with the coaches, studying videos and analyzing their own play and the opponents.
They go to bed early and spend ages away from their family (compared to your average human).
They most don't eat junk food but planned out healthy meals to optimize their ability and stamina.

Etc etc.

And then, when they reach an international final, they apparently cannot be arsed and lose because the other team "wanted it more"?

No, that's not how it goes.
You have abundant faith in the collective discipline of 20-something young men, let's keep it at that.

Reactions: cgf and luiginb

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Yeah, not to take anything from Atalanta, Leverkusen made so many unforced mistakes, especially in the first half of the game. A guy like Xhaka who's usually clinical couldn't connect simple passes. I haven't seen anything of that sort from them at any point this season. It screamed being hungover to me.

Reactions: luiginb

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You have abundant faith in the collective discipline of 20-something young men, let's keep it at that.

Yeah, people forget these aren’t robots & those old tired cliches exist because they hold a kernel of truth. Professional pride is a thing, but not everyone is equally obsessed with not losing & these are still young men.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Oh, so that’s Arthur Melo
Yeah and every time I saw him it looked like Fiorentina was above his level too.

Ref was slightly pro Fiorentina all game, and now denies Olympiakos an obvious pen. I hope the Greeks win just for this.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
El Kaabi (who has scored all of Olympiacos goals in the semis and in the final) only turned pro in Morocco when he was 21 years and worked as a carpenter. Ten years later he's scoring winning goals in European finals. Hell of a come-up.

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
El Kaabi (who has scored all of Olympiacos goals in the semis and in the final) only turned pro in Morocco when he was 21 years and worked as a carpenter. Ten years later he's scoring winning goals in European finals. Hell of a come-up.

16 goals in Europe this season, 5 in the Europa league group stage and 11 in the Conf league knockouts. Not many better seasons than that statswise in history.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
16 goals in Europe this season, 5 in the Europa league group stage and 11 in the Conf league knockouts. Not many better seasons than that statswise in history.
Old school poacher. He was still a carpenter until 21, I think he started playing first league football in Morocco at 23, he was still playing there 3 years ago. The kind of stories that make football beautiful.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad