Player Discussion Elias Lindholm

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I don't see how you bring him back unless he's going to be Pettersson's center long-term. But then you're making the decision the Pettersson is going to convert to wing long-term, which may not be wise.

Can't pay your 3C 5-6M.
I think you can if he plays like Lindholm did in the playoffs.

You just have to be efficient elsewhere.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When you break down the list of Canuck UFA's, there's only three guys who make any sense for the Canucks--Lindholm, Zadorov and Joshua in that order.

But they won't come cheap, and could eat up a big chunk of the Canucks available cap space. But these guys can play up and down your lineup, and are proven playoff performers. And they're clearly better than just about anything else out there on the UFA market.

Reactions: Lackhalak

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I liked him during the playoffs, but I still don't want to pay $6M+ long term for a 29 year old who can't drive a line offensively.

Reactions: David71

Mudshark50

Nov 25, 2005
NorthVancouver
I liked him during the playoffs, but I still don't want to pay $6M+ long term for a 29 year old who can't drive a line offensively.
I agree and he'll probably be a solid defensive centre for a big part of the contract's term, but who wants to pay a defensive forward big $$?

The Boston Bruins paid Bergeron close to 7M per season until he was 38 - they'll show Lindholm the $$....

Reactions: David71

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Elliot Friedmann reporting that the Canucks and Lindholm's camp are in the midst of a full-court press, trying to get him re-signed. Apparently even some of the Canucks players are calling him.

Leads me to believe that re-upping Lindholm might be their top UFA priority....ahead of even Zadorov or Joshua.

Makes sense I guess. Two-way centers who can score big goals and move up and down your lineup are virtually impossible to find on the UFA market.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Elliot Friedmann reporting that the Canucks and Lindholm's camp are in the midst of a full-court press, trying to get him re-signed. Apparently even some of the Canucks players are calling him.

Leads me to believe that re-upping Lindholm might be their top UFA priority....ahead of even Zadorov or Joshua.

Makes sense I guess. Two-way centers who can score big goals and move up and down your lineup are virtually impossible to find on the UFA market.
They have close to 27 million counting LTIR.
Joshua will not be much more than 3 mil. and he didn't play much center this year.
Zadorov can be a long term contract, 6 X 8 front loaded with signing bonuses like 12 mil each of the first 3 years.

Impossible to find? Guentzal? 112 forward ufa's this year 6'+ listed on CF.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

If that does ending up being the case, one of either Miller or Pettersson need to move to the wing because we cannot attempt a full season trying to spread out wingers between all three nor would it be worth spending 7M on a third line center.

Reactions: thecupismine

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
They have close to 27 million counting LTIR.
Joshua will not be much more than 3 mil. and he didn't play much center this year.
Zadorov can be a long term contract, 6 X 8 front loaded with signing bonuses like 12 mil each of the first 3 years.

Impossible to find? Guentzal? 112 forward ufa's this year 6'+ listed on CF.

Maybe I'm out of the loop with what fair value is for players, but my first thought on 6x8 for Zadorov is "Yuck". Zadorov, from what I've heard from Avs fans, is a very streaky player who can look like a top pairing guy when he's on his game but can fall off the face of the earth and steal the chaos giraffe title from Myers.

I liked him a lot in his time here and I definitely want to sign him, but giving term and money to him is a little bit frightening.

Reactions: theguardianII

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
If that does ending up being the case, one of either Miller or Pettersson need to move to the wing because we cannot attempt a full season trying to spread out wingers between all three nor would it be worth spending 7M on a third line center.

This is one of my concerns, along with the fact that his underlying numbers in the regular season have been in decline over the last couple years.

If we had a bunch of young, cheap productive wingers it would make a lot more sense to me.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
This is one of my concerns, along with the fact that his underlying numbers in the regular season have been in decline over the last couple years.

If we had a bunch of young, cheap productive wingers it would make a lot more sense to me.

I feel Tocchet will not be able to resist the urge to attempt going three lines "deep" again. And yeah, it is worrisome that Lindholm won't produce since he's struggled quite a bit since the heydays of 2022.

I do have to wonder how much of that was the Darryl Sutter effect and playing on a team he very clearly wanted no part of. Much like Zadorov, they both took time but came alive once everything settled. In Lindholm's case, an injury.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
I feel Tocchet will not be able to resist the urge to attempt going three lines "deep" again. And yeah, it is worrisome that Lindholm won't produce since he's struggled quite a bit since the heydays of 2022.

I do have to wonder how much of that was the Darryl Sutter effect and playing on a team he very clearly wanted no part of. Much like Zadorov, they both took time but came alive once everything settled. In Lindholm's case, an injury.

I'm not averse to going 3 lines deep...so long as each of them has the horses to produce. We tried being 3 deep in the post season, but it resulted in basically two lines instead. You can't have two guys with close to zero hockey IQ playing next to Petey, its a recipe for disaster.

With the cap situation being what it is, I don't know how Petey gets a legitimate top 6 winger if we go into that setup, while also making sure the defense stays strong too.

Zadorov there's a proven model here that our coaching staff is able to turn big, rangy dmen into the best versions of themselves (Myers being the prime example of that, and big Z following in his footsteps). Hard to tell if the playoffs was the best version of Lindholm, or a blip on the radar.

Reactions: Bourne Endeavor

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Maybe I'm out of the loop with what fair value is for players, but my first thought on 6x8 for Zadorov is "Yuck". Zadorov, from what I've heard from Avs fans, is a very streaky player who can look like a top pairing guy when he's on his game but can fall off the face of the earth and steal the chaos giraffe title from Myers.

I liked him a lot in his time here and I definitely want to sign him, but giving term and money to him is a little bit frightening.
That was 6 years ago, between his 2nd and 5th year in the league.

Term is to keep the money down, make the deal sweeter.
AGAIN
The cap will be 25% higher than is now in 4 years, well over 100 million. Think of 6 million with a 100 million dollar cap. His percentage starts at 6.8% of the cap yr one, by year 3 it will be like 5.8% and in year 6 it will be around 5% and he will be 34/35 the same age a Myers is now but still 6'6".
EP will be 13.2% next year. JTM - 9.1% QH - 9%
Myers was 7% of the cap last year.

Boston usually gets who they want, the cap seems to be secondary to them.

I think most people in Vancouver have forgotten what good management is, Benning was horrible for 8 years. Under Gillis FA's took less to be here and his structure had 5 million come off the books every year so they could work during the summer not like Benning who rocketed down to Portland ASAP after the draft to enjoy more time off not doing anything.

IMO Lindholm may be a luxury item they can't afford, they can't end up like TO 2.0 with four guys making double digit cap hits. Those guys are good enough to carry them to a playoff spot but not much further because so much is dedicated to 4 players.

Where would Lindholm play? 3rd line center at 7+ mil? With Mik, 4.7+ on wing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad