Dylan james

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
I think things are starting to make sense. Certain people seem to view hockey through a lens similarly to where say the game of baseball can be condensed down to a home run derby. Or golf is essentially a driving range. Dingers, drives, and goals. All that matters...

Also norrisnick "..Let's go for a home run and draft Eiserman, because he scores goals and i don't care about the rest" ;)

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Also norrisnick "..Let's go for a home run and draft Eiserman, because he scores goals and i don't care about the rest" ;)
Because similarly golf isn't a putting green nor baseball a game of catch. Good luck bottom 6ing your way into contention.

Top 2 picks and top 2 FA signings the last 2 summers:

Kasper
Copp
Danielson
Compher

How many more assets and premium signing opportunities are we going to spend on the safe and sensible choice?

And dig through dwingleberry's post history for the number of references to Copp's goal scoring for some good times... ;)

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Certain people seem to view hockey through a lens similarly to where say the game of baseball can be condensed down to a home run derby.
Thanks bud, you just gave me bad flashbacks of pitching A-League softball.... which is indeed a homerun derby, especially since they came out with double wall aluminum bats. I bet it's even worse now with composites. You probably need to wear goalie gear to pitch.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Because similarly golf isn't a putting green nor baseball a game of catch. Good luck bottom 6ing your way into contention.

Kasper
Copp
Danielson
Compher

How many more assets and premium signing opportunities are we going to spend on the safe and sensible choice?

And dig through dwingleberry's post history for the number of references to Copp's goal scoring for some good times... ;)
Well, for rather obvious reasons i cannot go through his posting history and i don’t regret it at all

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Kasper
Copp
Danielson
Compher

stOp hAtIng oN cOPP!!!

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Kasper
Copp
Danielson
Compher

It's funny how they first drafted a certain type of prospect and then signed kind of same-styled player as UFA.

The timelines are clear.

Kasper will replace Copp one day.
Danielson will replace Compher one day.

They proably play together on the last contract years of those older guys, who will perform as those kids' mentors.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I doubt it. NIL money was forced by the court system, there's no way the courts will force the NCAA to allow kids to accept money from professional teams, even if it's just for expenses.

I was thinking more along the lines of the kids might be earning enough from NIL to attend more often if they wanted to, but yeah I think you're right about that.
There has to be a way an NIL donor or agent that can support a professional team's prospects business trip expenses to attend these camps. Even now, the NCAA just came out and said colleges can directly pay their student athletes. Maybe the Wing's can set up a one time donation of $X tot he University and the University flys our NCAA prospects to training camp.

Just spit balling here. I'm sure the University and DRW Legal Team haven't thought of any of that before... :)

Reactions: Sparty

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
There has to be a way an NIL donor or agent that can support a professional team's prospects business trip expenses to attend these camps. Even now, the NCAA just came out and said colleges can directly pay their student athletes. Maybe the Wing's can set up a one time donation of $X tot he University and the University flys our NCAA prospects to training camp.

Just spit balling here. I'm sure the University and DRW Legal Team haven't thought of any of that before... :)
Part of the issue is also when classes start for these guys. Going to development camp is one thing but usually by the prosect tourney classes have started.

It seems it would be really simple for a team to sign a player to an NIL deal though to attend their camp. The league might have something to say about it because its not in the CBA or anything though

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Part of the issue is also when classes start for these guys. Going to development camp is one thing but usually by the prosect tourney classes have started.

It seems it would be really simple for a team to sign a player to an NIL deal though to attend their camp. The league might have something to say about it because its not in the CBA or anything though
Seems like back door circumvention of the CBA. Pay without a contract, ELCs are clearly defined.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Unsigned players have attended these camps. I doubt they all pay their own way. If the NIL silliness only covers camp costs it shouldn't be circumvention. Or at least circumvention above and beyond what all the other camp invites get.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Unsigned players have attended these camps. I doubt they all pay their own way. If the NIL silliness only covers camp costs it shouldn't be circumvention. Or at least circumvention above and beyond what all the other camp invites get.
The issue is that college players cannot accept money from the team, because they essential turn pro at that point.

As for the other prospects, CBA states:

15.2 (a) All Players attending Training Camps shall be paid the same per diem meal
allowances provided in Section 19(a) and shall receive lodging provided by the Club during the
period of their attendance at Training Camp.
(b) The Clubs have an option of providing breakfast and/or lunch during Training
Camp. There shall be the following deductions from the Player's per diem, each in the same
currency as the per diem is paid, for each breakfast and/or lunch provided by the Club: $12 for breakfast and $15 for lunch.
(c) All Players signed to an SPC who are not in the Entry Level System shall be
entitled to single room accommodations at Training Camp.
(d) If Training Camp is held in, or in the vicinity of, the Club's home city, a Player
who elects to live at home instead of in accommodations provided by the Club during Training Camp shall not receive any payments for lodging.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Seems like back door circumvention of the CBA. Pay without a contract, ELCs are clearly defined.
I think for both the league and the PA, it would be really simple to add a letter of understanding saying that NIL can be paid to drafted prospects that havent yet signed their pro contract or something like that to fund a trip to camp.

I wouldnt extend it to undrafted guys because teams would be trying to bribe their way into contracts but it seems like something that would be in the players and the leagues best interest to do

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think for both the league and the PA, it would be really simple to add a letter of understanding saying that NIL can be paid to drafted prospects that havent yet signed their pro contract or something like that to fund a trip to camp.

I wouldnt extend it to undrafted guys because teams would be trying to bribe their way into contracts but it seems like something that would be in the players and the leagues best interest to do

Anything that involves payment will need to be included in the CBA so it applies to all players. That is the entire point of a collective bargaining agreement. It could just be an addendum or MOU, but it would need to be formalized.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Anything that involves payment will need to be included in the CBA so it applies to all players. That is the entire point of a collective bargaining agreement. It could just be an addendum or MOU, but it would need to be formalized.
It was never the NHL CBA side that had issues with kids being invited to camps and having teams cover the expenses. It was only ever the NCAA. I'm sure Biakabutuka didn't pay his own way to come to training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad