Crouse

rams

Feb 2, 2015
Canada
Very aware of how Dahlin is doing. I've been a Sabres fan for the last 50 years. ;)

Dahlin is 10,000x better than Power. There really is no comparison, not now, not when Dahlin broke into the league.

Power is worth a 2nd rounder at best. But it doesn't make your team better adding a terrible defenceman.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Very aware of how Dahlin is doing. I've been a Sabres fan for the last 50 years. ;)

Dahlin is 10,000x better than Power. There really is no comparison, not now, not when Dahlin broke into the league.

Power is worth a 2nd rounder at best. But it doesn't make your team better adding a terrible defenceman.
I don't think anyone said Power is better than Dahlin, but Powers is second in TOI/GP. Please talk your GM into trading Powers to Utah for a second rounder. Please.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Also, please talk your GM into retaining 50% to get him closer to market value.
Remember most were concerned about the contracts of Keller and Schmaltz?;) Power is only 21, big and plays a lot of minutes. I haven't followed Powers and watched him play this last year, but if he became available I would think some team would beat the Utah offer of Crouse.

So, are you telling us you are an "old fart" like me.:laugh:

• Love
Reactions: rams

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Remember most were concerned about the contracts of Keller and Schmaltz?;) Power is only 21, big and plays a lot of minutes. I haven't followed Powers and watched him play this last year, but if he became available I would think some team would beat the Utah offer of Crouse.
I would hope for this. If Utah is to commit 10% of their cap on a dman I would want for it to be on one who can play D.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
So, you really think BA couldn't make room for Powers? Look who we have right now.
Power is signed for 7 years. It's not now that matters, it is locking up all that coin for long term and not being able to sign/resign who you actually want later. Ya'll want to give up significant assets, spend significant money, tie up 10% chunk of cap space, for a near, max, term, for 30 assists a year? What does Owen Power do effectively that would merit this commitment?

Reactions: Puckrobber

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

You can't be serious that Powers is only worth a 2nd. rounder?

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Forgive me for not being as smart as you.:sarcasm:;):laugh:
200.gif

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
What he is worth and what a team asks for is never the same.

When people do the 'redraft' of 2021, he will fall to at least 10th, probably lower. So maybe a mid-first? Depends how much (or if) he improves.
Absolutely true. There are around 12 players in that draft I would rather have before Owen Powerssssss.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
What he is worth and what a team asks for is never the same.

When people do the 'redraft' of 2021, he will fall to at least 10th, probably lower. So maybe a mid-first? Depends how much (or if) he improves.

Absolutely true. There are around 12 players in that draft I would rather have before Owen Powerssssss.
I'm assuming that you guys are exaggerating. I can't even come close to that many guys that deserve to be above Power.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I'm assuming that you guys are exaggerating. I can't even come close to that many guys that deserve to be above Power.
Can't come close but you have a number? What is it that you like about him? He is a good passer and everything else is average or below average. Would you pay $58m for Maccelli?

Here are the players from 2021 I would rather have before Power and his $58 million dollars:
Beniers, McTavish, L Hughes, K Johnson, Eklund, Clarke, Guenther, Coronato, Wallstedt, W Johnson, Sillinger, Cossa

Reactions: rams

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Another list for everyone.

Owen Power has the 15th highest cap hit by defensemen and is within 500k of the following players:
  • Pietrangelo
  • Sergachev
  • Heiskanen
  • Trouba
  • Q Hughes
He is not in this class of defensemen yet is being paid like he is. It is one of the worst team deals in the NHL.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Another list for everyone.

Owen Power has the 15th highest cap hit by defensemen and is within 500k of the following players:
  • Pietrangelo
  • Sergachev
  • Heiskanen
  • Trouba
  • Q Hughes
He is not in this class of defensemen yet is being paid like he is. It is one of the worst team deals in the NHL.
How did those listed did during there 20-21 year old seasons? Also how much longer after did it take for them to be worth this kind of contract?

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Picked him because he is comparable. Good passing, soft, low D paid less than Power even though he is far better.
Other than Trouba ALL those players were pretty soft and rough on D at 21. but Hughes is the only one that pushes your argument forward and thats because he is very underpaid now that he blown up offensively, which is why his team signed him to that long term at a young age, because it would likely turn into a steal contract. Also when Hughes signed his contract his % of team cap (9.63%) was higher than when Power's contract actually started (9.5). So while he is paid more it is actually less against the team from the start of it. Everyone who has actually watched them play knows they don't play even close to the similar style of game and I guarantee you when Buffalo drafted Power they weren't expecting him to play like Hughes. Playing style wise Pietrangelo and to a lesser degree Heiskanen are likely the best player comparisons from that list that you should be comparing him to. As of now there's no reason to believe he won't reach that level.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad