Around the NHL 2023-24 - playoff thread

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Don Waddell has now become the most random 3 different team GM I can ever remember.

Most guys don't get to be GM or even president/head of of hockey ops for 3 different teams. Lou has been, Rutherford has been (though only 2 times as the actual GM) and Brian Burke has been either a GM or president of hockey ops for I think 6 different teams? With 4 as the GM.

I think Bryan Murray was GM for 4 different teams over a 25-30 year span. There's probably a few more from before my time.

Most guys don't get a third chance. Ray Shero hasn't.

Don Waddell is a much more random name than Lou, Jim Rutherford, Burke or Murray. I think all of those guys other than Murray have won the cup with at least one of those teams. Rutherford has with 2.

Did Waddell ever win the cup as a member of some other team's front office? I'm not sure about that.

Just checked - He has. He was the assistant general manager of the Red Wings when they won the cup in 97-98. I guess he got hired by Atlanta after that. For some reason I thought I remembered him working for Chicago in between Atlanta and Carolina, but all I see is Pittsburgh for like 2 years as a scout.
I think you're thinking of Rick Dudley, who left Chicago as the AGM to be the GM of Atlanta for their last couple of years when Waddell got promoted(!), then went to Ottawa after they left.

I think Waddell's best characteristic has been being willing to work for shitty bosses. He must have some legitimate skills in the business-ops portions of these president/GM roles as well, and Carolina made him look competent enough at hockey ops.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Disco Dan now looks way too much like a 1970s era (or late 1960s) politician or a politician's lawyer.

He looks like one of those guys that sat in on the Watergate trial or Nixon's PR guy or something.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Mitch Korn back to Nashville.

Devils could have used him.

Meanwhile, Terreri gets a bump up on Long Island, and the Islanders bring in Sorokin's old goaltending coach from the KHL.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Meanwhile, Terreri gets a bump up on Long Island, and the Islanders bring in Sorokin's old goaltending coach from the KHL.

I’m sure Rogalski is doing fine. Just look at those goaltending results. No reason to look at them or what he’s doing.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Mitch Korn, 66, worked with Barry Trotz at
NSH 1998-14
WSH 2014-18
NYI 2018-22

So Korn didn’t make the open market.

Nashville isn’t firing or adding anyone else now. They didn’t have a Director of Goaltending for Korn to replace and he has pre-existing ties with the current staff.

Preds’ Goalie Coach Ben Vanderklok (2013-24), 42, is one of his many disciples and he coached Development Coach/Scout Pekka Rinne, 41 (2023-24).

BUT… I kind of find it hard to believe that Sorokin’s ex-coach came over to be a development coach in the AHL.

Piero Greco, 56, has been the Isles goalie coach since 2018-19.

Before that Greco had coached in the OHL and then coached with the Marlies in 2015-18. So he has a connection to Keefe.

IMG_7157.jpeg

terreri lmao
Been with Lou since 1987, it’s kind of incredible.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad