Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors and Discussion

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
What moves should we make this offseason? Who should stay and go? Will we be active in the UFA/trade market? Will anyone be bought out?

Discuss all offseason roster matters in here.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't trust Reinhart being a $10m+ caliber player if he's not next to Barkov.
And let's be honest, the guys around him have all taken paycuts to put together the team they have, he doesn't strike me as the type of guy that would throw all that away for an extra 1M/season. I don't think he even makes it to FA. The Panthers have the potential to takeover as the dominant team in Florida if they haven't already taken that title.

From the same article

“I think to a man, at least the last few potential UFA guys or long-term guys that sold UFA years have taken less money to stay,” Zito told The Athletic. “That’s actually what Sasha (Barkov), Chucky (Matthew Tkachuk) and Gus (Forsling) did here and what others have done elsewhere.”

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I wouldn't mind Perron as an off season addition. Max 2 year deal at around $4 mil per.

A gritty foward who still has some scoring ability and who has played on a Cup winner in STL and a Cup Finalist with the VGK. wore the "A" with Vegas and has also for the DRW the past two seasons. All the talk about "culture" would suggest that it's time to get a proven winner with some leadership abilities on the roster.

I also think it would be appropriate for Jenner to offer to give up the "C" if a new coach is appointed. I think the world of him as a competitor but not as a leader.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I wouldn't mind Perron as an off season addition. Max 2 year deal at around $4 mil per.

A gritty foward who still has some scoring ability and who has played on a Cup winner in STL and a Cup Finalist with the VGK. wore the "A" with Vegas and has also for the DRW the past two seasons. All the talk about "culture" would suggest that it's time to get a proven winner with some leadership abilities on the roster.
Regardless if it is Perron or someone else. These are definitely the type of players needed in the locker room.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I know it is u real but I would like to get one of Tuch/Knies. There are type of players we need. Or at least Bertuzzi.

EDIT: Bennett would be great too.

Last edited:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

"That team (CBJ) is so poorly run it's embarrassing, and everybody knows it."
The guy saying it is the one that hosts a podcast with Jiricek's agent. Seems pretty clear where the information is coming from. Hopefully Waddell helps with it, but honestly more changes might me necessary even if it's just to clear the board with these agents who are advising their players

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

The guy saying it is the one that hosts a podcast with Jiricek's agent. Seems pretty clear where the information is coming from. Hopefully Waddell helps with it, but honestly more changes might me necessary even if it's just to clear the board with these agents who are advising their players

If Walsh told something to Wylde I honestly wonder what it might be. It could be "these guys didn't give it to Jiricek straight [didn't tell him how far he had to go]. Or it could be "they have no idea how great and ready my client is, won't give him PP time". There are sometimes players and agents out there who are just on another planet from reality and there's nothing a GM can do.

More broadly anytime a regime loses its legitimacy, everything and the kitchen sink will be thrown at them "It's the teams fault, you've seen how incompetent they are!". That's why you get a new GM who can re-establish credibility. It doesn't look like Wylde heard the news about that.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

No way should Columbus consider or care what player agents are telling players. If a player like Jiricek is dumb enough to believe that it's CBJ mismanagement keeping him out of the NHL and not his clearly deficient skating and decision making, well that's on him.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
No way should Columbus consider or care what player agents are telling players. If a player like Jiricek is dumb enough to believe that it's CBJ mismanagement keeping him out of the NHL and not his clearly deficient skating and decision making, well that's on him.
Mismanagement didnt keep Jiricek out of NHL, but that doesnt mean that there wasn't mismanagement with him. It's not great if sign and trade deals fall to agents telling players the rebuild wont end anytime soon because the management is a mess.

But again, Dunno how much Waddell will help with that. Hopefully the only issue was the Jarmo/JD duo

Last edited:
Reactions: MAHJ71

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Mismanagement didnt keep Jiricek out of NHL, but that doesnt mean that there wasn't mismanagement with him. It's not great if sign and trade deals fall to agents telling players the rebuild wont end anytime soon because the management is a mess.

But again, Dunno how much Waddell will help with that. Hopefully the only issue was the Jarmo/JD duo
You can't control what agents will tell their players. It really is not a good idea to put much effort into trying to appease them. All your effort should go into winning. If you win, players and agents are happy. If you lose, they aren't.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
You can't control what agents will tell their players. It really is not a good idea to put much effort into trying to appease them. All your effort should go into winning. If you win, players and agents are happy. If you lose, they aren't.
Yeah maybe that's true. Building a winner just gets easier if players want to join, in which agents play a role. Circle of hockey, i guess.

But also, shouldnt piss off people by telling a player to get appartment and then sending them to AHL for half of the season. I wonder what kind of role PV played in that mess

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

In the player polling ten years ago, players would often list Florida as a team to avoid going to. I can't remember if it was in the same breath as Arizona but I think it was something like that.

But also, shouldnt piss off people by telling a player to get appartment and then sending them to AHL for half of the season. I wonder what kind of role PV played in that mess

More often than not, coaches are not happy when they're told to put unready players into their lineup. That's probably what PV privately felt about it.

In any case, we don't even know what Jarmo said to Jiricek. Jarmo said he told Jiricek he can still be sent down.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
In the player polling ten years ago, players would often list Florida as a team to avoid going to. I can't remember if it was in the same breath as Arizona but I think it was something like that.

More often than not, coaches are not happy when they're told to put unready players into their lineup. That's probably what PV privately felt about it.

In any case, we don't even know what Jarmo said to Jiricek. Jarmo said he told Jiricek he can still be sent down.
What Jarmo actually said is one thing, what Jiricek heard is another.

Reactions: domi28

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Expectation on chinny contract?
I am hoping for a 2 year deal for him and Marchenko, KJ & Silly, 10mm for all 4 combined with 3 being the individual high. Let them earn a big deal next time around.

If we have to go higher than 3 in order of preference I'd go

Marchenko
Chinny

No way do I go higher on KJ or Silly.

If need be add some bonus conditions so that if they (all 4) produce they earn more.

Maybe 4mm combined for Tex and Nylander.

Greaves is an interesting one especially if Elvis isn't bought out.

Laine situation a wild card.

Lots of tough decisions for Waddell.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

Jiricek was sent to AHL Cleveland at the end of training camp but was recalled to Columbus after the season opener. In November, he was pulled aside by Kekäläinen and told to “get a place” in Columbus, which is always a big moment for a young player.

This is what I was referencing to. The info is obviously from Jiricek's camp, so there could be something more to that discussion. Any case, if they just told him he's an AHLer, there wouldn't have been such a big show about it. Probably just a silent disapproval

Last edited:

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Regarding getting a centre, I was previously very nervous about the Lindholm to Columbus suggestions that were flying around back when it was estimated that his next contract would be around $8M for 7 years. Well, it seems that his value has sunken a bit lately and those AFP Analytics guys are now projecting him at below $7M for 5 years. If Columbus could get him for around that price, I'd like it.

Obviously, he would be a stop gap 1C until Fantilli is ready and then a 2C. But at that price, I would rather have him than, say, a Stephenson or Monahan.

However, I suppose it's more likely that a team like Vancouver, Boston or Carolina will be desperate enough to give him more term, which I guess is what he wants.

Reactions: CannonFire1

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Don't skewer me as it's early and I need to do some work on this but a few names I could think of as possible center help that might be good fits (although admitedly may not be "high enough in the lineup" types):

Scott Laughton (PHI)
Nicholas Roy (VGK)
Nicholas Paul (TBL)
Filip Chytil (NYR) - Injury history a big concern, which is a CBJ killer already
Shane Pinto (OTT) - Likely my favorite on the list even with suspension (gambling) history
Eetu Luostarinen (FLA) - Stuck down in lineup, really like him too
Jared McCann (SEA)
Martin Necas (CAR) - Only RFA on the list and mostly played wing. If he CAN play C... I'm interested
Nick Schmaltz (Utah)

All have good to great size (mix of R/L handed), all have some level of term (3 years or fewer), all would fit the age/experience profile and have shown some measure of success at the NHL level. I don't think any (beyond Necas) would be true top line guys. Some may have slid to wing (as I said, I would need to look more deeply), but I don't think any break the bank and several could be moved for cap reasons or just teams turning over the roster. Pinto and Luostarinen are unlikely to be moves by their team for needs but both are playing lower in the lineup and may be available at the right price.

CBJ has assets to move and enough young players that they can push for someone on this list (?) to allow other young players to develop and improve the team short term. That's my 20,000 foot view at the moment...

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
Don't skewer me as it's early and I need to do some work on this but a few names I could think of as possible center help that might be good fits (although admitedly may not be "high enough in the lineup" types):

Scott Laughton (PHI)
Nicholas Roy (VGK)
Nicholas Paul (TBL)
Filip Chytil (NYR) - Injury history a big concern, which is a CBJ killer already
Shane Pinto (OTT) - Likely my favorite on the list even with suspension (gambling) history
Eetu Luostarinen (FLA) - Stuck down in lineup, really like him too
Jared McCann (SEA)
Martin Necas (CAR) - Only RFA on the list and mostly played wing. If he CAN play C... I'm interested
Nick Schmaltz (Utah)

All have good to great size (mix of R/L handed), all have some level of term (3 years or fewer), all would fit the age/experience profile and have shown some measure of success at the NHL level. I don't think any (beyond Necas) would be true top line guys. Some may have slid to wing (as I said, I would need to look more deeply), but I don't think any break the bank and several could be moved for cap reasons or just teams turning over the roster. Pinto and Luostarinen are unlikely to be moves by their team for needs but both are playing lower in the lineup and may be available at the right price.

CBJ has assets to move and enough young players that they can push for someone on this list (?) to allow other young players to develop and improve the team short term. That's my 20,000 foot view at the moment...
This is a good list. Two others I would add as potential options are Cirelli (TB) and Gourde (Sea). Cirelli has much longer term and would probably only be available if Lightning are looking to make room to re-sign Stamkos.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
More broadly anytime a regime loses its legitimacy, everything and the kitchen sink will be thrown at them "It's the teams fault, you've seen how incompetent they are!". That's why you get a new GM who can re-establish credibility. It doesn't look like Wylde heard the news about that.
yeah I'm surprised at all the pearl-clutching in this thread about someone saying the jackets are poorly-run given that, well, *gestures to the last three years*

i get why the fans would have a bone to pick with walsh but we don't have to go all zapruder film on this, the jackets being poorly run isn't exactly insider information or something wylde would need to be fed. which is the entire reason why they hired waddell.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

This is what I was referencing to. The info is obviously from Jiricek's camp, so there could be something more to that discussion. Any case, if they just told him he's an AHLer, there wouldn't have been such a big show about it. Probably just a silent disapproval
Jarmo was a bad GM.. his people skills sucked …when Friedman / Marek made a big deal when it occurred , I’m sure they were hearing what really happened , because it’s not news to send a young player to the AHL.. Jiricek is thriving now , and Jarmo is canned .. Jiricek belonged in the AHL this year , Jarmo was always trying to fast track talent to plug holes in his team. It is laughable but another example of Vincent being a bad coach .. worst power play in the league , Jiricek certainly could have helped at least in that area why he was here , Werenski was really struggling at this time as well , yet it was the veteran 5 he floated out there for 1:30 of the 2 minutes .. no results , there were quite a few games in those remaining 30 seconds PP2 of Chinakov, Marchenko , Voronkov , Johnson would get on the ice and score … They wasted nearly a month of Jiriceks season this year , at minimum put him in areas he can succeed in , instead he was buried …

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad