Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Let's not underestimate tgr Brockelkhurst signing. He had to jump through hoops to be eligible for the OHL draft. Fantastic signing. This kid born 1 day later would have been a first rounder next year. Youngest player in the draft. Exciting summer. To be fair, Bowler could not have done any better with basically 2 flyers and high end talent all signed.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Agree with what u have written re Bowler et cetera, Spits now have signed 5 picks so far,1st,2-2nds,3rd,and a 7th.
Last years draft with only 11 players drafted Windsor signed 3 of them 1st(Nesbitt),5th(Manzo),6th (Lavigne),their 1st 3 selections in that draft,no picks in the 2nd,3rd and 4th rounds.
Still can see Windsor eventually signing ,Robinson (D),Garden (C) and Spicer (D) by next season from this draft and Newlove(G) from the -18 draft.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
We all know that he needs to chill on the minor penalties but he had four PIM, total, along with 13 points in his final 10 games. Strangely, he also had very few PIM during his ugly pointless streak at the start of the season. It's almost as if he couldn't find his game in any capacity, got aggressive and put up the points, and then learned how to tone it down while still producing. If he can play like he did in the final 10, there's no reason he can't be a very effective OA.
How many of those 10 games did they win? I just don't believe he impacts winning that much. He had a good rookie year and playoff but he wasn't their best player and didn't have to be. Two years was kind of a lost year but the Spits showed they could win without him. 23-24 we don't need a deep dive. Arguably the Spits will be looking at Abraham to be top 2-3 player on this roster. That's not the best place for him but he will probably be sticking around. Just like you got fooled with this past year.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Let's not underestimate tgr Brockelkhurst signing. He had to jump through hoops to be eligible for the OHL draft. Fantastic signing. This kid born 1 day later would have been a first rounder next year. Youngest player in the draft. Exciting summer. To be fair, Bowler could not have done any better with basically 2 flyers and high end talent all signed.
Because of how small he is I think he plays lower level for a year like GOJHL or OJHL.

probably won’t play much in top 6/top 9. No point in keeping him around as a 4th liner/13th forward. Would be better off playing elsewhere to be in every situation before making full time jump in 2025/2026 as a probable impact player

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Abraham being a former 1st round pick has 1 last chance to show that as an OA. I hate his selfish penalties like most trying to prove he is bigger than he is. He had that serious wrist/forearm injury that I am not sure ever healed properly or he learned to play around it last year. I think Bowler will give him a chance to step up as a worthy OA or his leash may be short this year. He was just over 1 ppg which is pretty good if he can repeat that or slightly improve on those numbers. No rookie year as season canceled. Only has played 159 regular season games. Normally OA have played easily 200 plus games going into their oa season.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Because of how small he is I think he plays lower level for a year like GOJHL or OJHL.

probably won’t play much in top 6/top 9. No point in keeping him around as a 4th liner/13th forward. Would be better off playing elsewhere to be in every situation before making full time jump in 2025/2026 as a probable impact player
Agree. Because of his young age, agree. He played tier 1 AAA last year. No idea what he was promised or where he my play. Although Abraham is same weight and height and this kid is 15 until the end of the December.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I was talking about Abraham. He’s our most valuable OA to this team, and elsewhere. But a lot of the guys moved to flint check one of those boxes I mentioned; where Abraham checks all of them.

I think he’ll have a good season here, but if teams are going to follow suit and pay out the wazoo for OA’s, and small forwards that’ll put up a Point a game, I’m at least considering the options.

Could get crafty and move him for some assets that could bring in some higher end 05s as aside from Costanzo, I really don’t even see an OA option on our roster

Reactions: OHL 17 and windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
How many of those 10 games did they win? I just don't believe he impacts winning that much. He had a good rookie year and playoff but he wasn't their best player and didn't have to be. Two years was kind of a lost year but the Spits showed they could win without him. 23-24 we don't need a deep dive. Arguably the Spits will be looking at Abraham to be top 2-3 player on this roster. That's not the best place for him but he will probably be sticking around. Just like you got fooled with this past year.

Did they win in 2022-23 without him? Yes... and they had Maggio, Maillet, Christo, Harrison, Wright, Peer, and the list goes on. He didn't need to be the guy. In 2023-24, he was leaned on far more and he responded with a breakout season. Yes, his PIM need to be down but his production is where you'd want a first-rounder to be.

Trade prices are high right now so, if Bowler gets blown away, you have to consider it. However, if not, this is Abraham's chance to show last season wasn't a fluke. If you trade him for anything less than "we couldn't refuse", and he keeps going, it's a bad look.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Trade prices are high right now so, if Bowler gets blown away, you have to consider it. However, if not, this is Abraham's chance to show last season wasn't a fluke. If you trade him for anything less than "we couldn't refuse", and he keeps going, it's a bad look.
I’ve always been impressed with Abraham’s production. Last year I wanted kingston to make a move on him. The penalties are brutal obviously but with a good coach they might be able to slow that a bit.

Believe Abraham was one of the best producers on that 2022/2023 team up until his injury. Then this past season he had a slower start but picked up after Christmas.

As long as he stays healthy and refrains from taking stupid penalties there should be a good market for him.

He may never play in the nhl due to his size but he can be one hell of an OHL OA this year.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I’ve always been impressed with Abraham’s production. Last year I wanted kingston to make a move on him. The penalties are brutal obviously but with a good coach they might be able to slow that a bit.

Believe Abraham was one of the best producers on that 2022/2023 team up until his injury. Then this past season he had a slower start but picked up after Christmas.

As long as he stays healthy and refrains from taking stupid penalties there should be a good market for him.

He may never play in the nhl due to his size but he can be one hell of an OHL OA this year.
The question for me is..Will he fetch a higher price now or Jan 10th? If someone shells out now and it’s what they really could use this year I’d trade him now.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Okay okay, I retract my Greentree comments lol.

But based on what they’ve received… maybe they want another injury prone guy? Maybe they another undersized forward? Maybe they want to move another player closer to home? Maybe they want another guy that won’t be back next season?

I got one in mind that checks all those boxes, that I wouldn’t hesitate moving for a pair of 2nds and a pair of 3rds…

Just saying.

…Bowler? You there? Pickup the phone LOL
is that one you have in mind a 19-20 yr old RD or RW or the brother of a 6'5" 220lb Flint prospect? Flint had a good day imo.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
If we were to trade Abraham now we need to fill a big hole at center with experience and proven scoring. Bowler would need to then spend big assests to replace him. Especially if the import is a D. Greentree is more of a power forward and needs/deserves a quality center. The team offense dried quickly for most after Peer was moved. Morneau is expected to stick but he is more of a checking forward than an offensive. Smith seems unreliable to show up half the time.

Reactions: Teflon

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I’m not saying move Abraham for peanuts. But if Thibodeau brings pair of 2nds (one conditional), pair of 3rds, pair of 5ths and a 15th as an 05, with 6 less points in 4 more games as Abraham…

You’d have to imagine we could at least get a pair of 2nds, and a couple 3/4/5 round picks for Abraham.

I think he brings value to this team, it seems there’s been a lot of uncertainty amongst fans after his injuries. I wish the kid well, and like having a player like him on our team.

I think if he remains healthy and keeps up production, he will hold more Value at the deadline, but that’s an IF in itself. Because of his production inconsistencies, and injuries, unless he’s a key driving factor in the locker room… which I don’t imagine as such as Greentree got the C, I say entertain offers now.

I think we all know 24-25 isn’t the go for it year. Right?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
The question for me is..Will he fetch a higher price now or Jan 10th? If someone shells out now and it’s what they really could use this year I’d trade him now.
Probably Jan 10th after he proves he’s healthy and producing again. On the deadline teams typically over pay on last second deals

I’m not saying move Abraham for peanuts. But if Thibodeau brings pair of 2nds (one conditional), pair of 3rds, pair of 5ths and a 15th as an 05, with 6 less points in 4 more games as Abraham…

You’d have to imagine we could at least get a pair of 2nds, and a couple 3/4/5 round picks for Abraham.

I think he brings value to this team, it seems there’s been a lot of uncertainty amongst fans after his injuries. I wish the kid well, and like having a player like him on our team.

I think if he remains healthy and keeps up production, he will hold more Value at the deadline, but that’s an IF in itself. Because of his production inconsistencies, and injuries, unless he’s a key driving factor in the locker room… which I don’t imagine as such as Greentree got the C, I say entertain offers now.

I think we all know 24-25 isn’t the go for it year. Right?
Thibodeau went for that much because they get 2 full seasons out of him. An OA that’s similar size but has dealt with injuries and inconsistency won’t go for as much unless he can prove he is going to be a real solid contributor like 80+ pts

Last edited:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
If we were to trade Abraham now we need to fill a big hole at center with experience and proven scoring. Bowler would need to then spend big assests to replace him. Especially if the import is a D. Greentree is more of a power forward and needs/deserves a quality center. The team offense dried quickly for most after Peer was moved. Morneau is expected to stick but he is more of a checking forward than an offensive. Smith seems unreliable to show up half the time.
I think best case for this team is Spellacy taking that jump to be their #1 center or Nesbitt. Biggest issue is Abraham isn't great in the dot Spellacy is worse but is 2 years younger. Their best face off man is Morneau but he isn't capable of being a top 2 C.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think best case for this team is Spellacy taking that jump to be their #1 center or Nesbitt. Biggest issue is Abraham isn't great in the dot Spellacy is worse but is 2 years younger. Their best face off man is Morneau but he isn't capable of being a top 2 C.
strong side guys take the draw and flip back to normal position after the face off anyways

Probably Jan 10th after he proves he’s healthy and producing again. On the deadline teams typically over pay on last second deals

Thibodeau went for that much because they get 2 full seasons out of him. An OA that’s similar size but has dealt with injuries and inconsistency won’t go for as much unless he can prove he is going to be a real solid contributor like 80+ pts
Probably a 2/3/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad