Player Discussion William Nylander

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Nylander is definately a frustrating player.

On one hand he finds a way to score in big moments. On the other, he just seems to not care to come back and play in his own end sometimes.

Like I said, I don't really think it was Marner's fault. He was clearly looking at Lindholm and once Pasta picked up speed he was never going to catch him.

Just a well executed play by Bos thst probably works only half thectime
Of the core 4 it just seems William is the most rebel. He is more likely the one that thinks, “I’ve go to be me, I’ve got to be me.” So I wouldn’t be surprised if he just ignored Keefe and did what he does best. Too bad the others weren’t similar.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I think I've seen the "Nylander at centre" experiment enough times by now to make me believe it would never work as a viable long term solution.

We paid this guy $11.5M to be a 90-100 point winger. There isn't another 2C in the league making $11M. If the Leafs put Nylander and Matthews on the same line, and trade Marner while eventually replacing Tavares, they will rebalance the forward lines with a traditional setup and can use the rest to put towards defense and goaltending.

Whether that happens this year or next year is up to Marner and Tavares but it will happen eventually is my guess.
Leafs have an 11M 2nd line C! Lol

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think his defensive deficiencies are more attitude than actual skills. He's strong on his skates, strips puck well, good passer and we he wants he can use his strength & skating to win puck battles.

And I could see all of them having lower points in the reg season if they are tasked to play a tighter game.
I think his 'defensive deficiencies' are more a factor of playing with JT. When he's played with others his game and his numbers are better.

Reactions: arso40 and Kazparov

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think I've seen the "Nylander at centre" experiment enough times by now to make me believe it would never work as a viable long term solution.

We paid this guy $11.5M to be a 90-100 point winger. There isn't another 2C in the league making $11M. If the Leafs put Nylander and Matthews on the same line, and trade Marner while eventually replacing Tavares, they will rebalance the forward lines with a traditional setup and can use the rest to put towards defense and goaltending.

Whether that happens this year or next year is up to Marner and Tavares but it will happen eventually is my guess.
Ignoring the fact that we are somewhat stuck in a cycle of overpaying (thanks, Dubas), the idea of two top centres isn't unusual - Edmonton and Pittsburgh being the first two that come to mind.

But yes, $11M for a 2C is ridiculous, especially six years ago - can you imagine any GM being that stupid?

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
fellow nylanderites

we had to be patient

we had to fight hard

but today i declare that, in the contentious nylander vs marner battle: willy is victorious

hip hip hooray

hip hip hooray

hip hip hooray
I'd still pay money to see their dads duke it out. Bare-knuckle boxing. No ref.

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
fellow nylanderites

we had to be patient

we had to fight hard

but today i declare that, in the contentious nylander vs marner battle: willy is victorious

hip hip hooray

hip hip hooray

hip hip hooray
I called it the first year they both played. Marner's stuff was sporadic to me and not sustainable. Meanwhile Nylander is effortlessly entering the zone.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

We’ve seen the experiment for 2-4 games at a time with Kerfoot and random trash as his wingers coming in cold midway through a playoff series, we haven’t seen any reps with top-6 players and a training camp under their belt.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
We’ve seen the experiment for 2-4 games at a time with Kerfoot and random trash as his wingers coming in cold midway through a playoff series, we haven’t seen any reps with top-6 players and a training camp under their belt.
He would probably need a full season to reprogram fully. Worth it if it works. Probably worth it anyway for his overall game.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He would probably need a full season to reprogram fully. Worth it if it works. Probably worth it anyway for his overall game.

I just don’t see how it can possibly be worse than Tavares. Assume the worst case lazy soft primadonna narrative possible, he still gets back to the defensive zone faster than Tavares while skating at 30% effort and takes more pucks away blindfolded with two broken hands.

That’s to say nothing of their respective puck protection, zone exit/entry, and playmaking ability.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I just don’t see how it can possibly be worse than Tavares. Assume the worst case lazy soft primadonna narrative possible, he still gets back to the defensive zone faster than Tavares while skating at 30% effort and takes more pucks away blindfolded with two broken hands.

That’s to say nothing of their respective puck protection, zone exit/entry, and playmaking ability.
I belive its a win win situation, if it works or not. But for some reason i belive it will be. Knies Tavares Nylander going forward, i just hope Berube has better ideas.

Reactions: arso40 and ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
For an organization that is supposed to be "experts regarding the cap" ... we sure threw away money.
You do not hand the keys to a 35 year old rookie at a critical time in the rebuild and you do not allow him to hire his best friend, a rookie coach and you do not allow it to fail 5 consecutive years. The idiot was still about to extend Dubas until the stick boy tried to strong arm him. Wow.

Reactions: arso40 and nuck

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Dubas is an idiot.
So is Babcock and Shanahan.

It should have been clear this team didn't need an accelerated rebuild.

ROOOOOKKKIEEESSSSS.
TBH that kind of started with Lou and his own rentals after that first big season. One year too early in the clubs growth cycle for sure. But for that and JT it would have been a different roadmap, even with KD all the way because of those picks exported for Marleau and salary retention..

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Screw nylander at 2C

Find a proper 2C so that he doesn’t have to play with the bum captain. Relegate him to 3C and hope he can just give you 40 points.

We need to find a Dylan strome, Vincent Trocheck, Nazem Kadri. Tavares sucks so bad I can’t stomach the idea of him playing top 6 next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad