When does ROD start getting criticized?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
My opinion on RBA would be different if he had shown any ability to adjust over his tenure. But he hasn't.

I thought he did a good job adjusting after game 3. They eased off the low % shot spamming and started to try harder to get quality of their own. They also started getting a LOT more sticks into the passing lanes the Rangers typically like to use. It wasn't until the Rangers 2 top lines started to keep their passes shorter in the 3rd period last night that they really started having success on the forecheck.

In a way, the series came down to the Rangers from the jump being better prepared for the Hurricanes than the Hurricanes were for the Rangers. But that speaks to a coaching issue in and of itself.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
they have great depth. Sebastian Aho is a fantastic player but a tier below a true superstar which they don’t have. Only team recently I can think of that won cup with no true superstar was the 2019 blues but it’s abnormal.

Reactions: wintersej and DaveG

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I thought they did a good job adjusting after the third game. He’s a very good coach. He’s often built up to be the best in the league which is questionable I think. But he’s very good and unless you’re replacing him with one of like 3-4 coaches who are not going to be available, you’re getting a downgrade.

I do think the Canes need more game breakers. Drury as your 2C with Staal as 3C is not enough to legitimately make a run at winning the cup without insane luck. Slavin as great as he is defensively isn’t creating offense the way other contenders 1Ds tend to

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I thought he did a good job adjusting after game 3. They eased off the low % shot spamming and started to try harder to get quality of their own. They also started getting a LOT more sticks into the passing lanes the Rangers typically like to use. It wasn't until the Rangers 2 top lines started to keep their passes shorter in the 3rd period last night that they really started having success on the forecheck.

In a way, the series came down to the Rangers from the jump being better prepared for the Hurricanes than the Hurricanes were for the Rangers. But that speaks to a coaching issue in and of itself.
Yes.

Adjusting when it's too late to make a difference shouldn't get credit, IMO. It's not like how the Rangers play is a mystery and that they've never seen them before.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yes.

Adjusting when it's too late to make a difference shouldn't get credit, IMO. It's not like how the Rangers play is a mystery and that they've never seen them before.

It’s better than not having adjusted at all. That’s a big part of the playoffs. Adjustment and counter adjustment. Last year the Rangers lost partially because the coach had no answers.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I thought they did a good job adjusting after the third game. He’s a very good coach. He’s often built up to be the best in the league which is questionable I think. But he’s very good and unless you’re replacing him with one of like 3-4 coaches who are not going to be available, you’re getting a downgrade.

I do think the Canes need more game breakers. Drury as your 2C with Staal as 3C is not enough to legitimately make a run at winning the cup without insane luck. Slavin as great as he is defensively isn’t creating offense the way other contenders 1Ds tend to
yep. I think they are hoping that Kuznetsov can come into camp next year in better shape and more committed to being what he was even 2-3 years ago. If they can get THAT Kuzy, and he showed flashes of it during the playoffs, that's a bit of a game changer. But there's a lot riding on something that's not super likely to happen.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Like I said before, I fundamentally disagree. I don't think, on talent, there is much of a gap between the Rangers and Carolina. What NYR does is play a system that leverages the talents of their top players, while RBA plays a system that best maximizes guys like Jordan Martinook.

Per Sportlogiq, the Rangers held the edge in expected goals. It wasn't Shesterkin that was "the difference" in the series.

My opinion on RBA would be different if he had shown any ability to adjust over his tenure. But he hasn't.
They adjusted big time in this series. Our 1-3-1 defense was getting destroyed by their breakout in the last few games.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I think the issue is they lack a true star. Great players and great depth, but when it comes down to it, they can't score when it matters. There is nobody on the roster who scares other teams. If they could add a bit of offence, they might actually win something.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Rod has taken this team farther than it deserves to ever go.

Lets be honest here. The Rangers just have the elite gamebreakers. No amount of hard work or coaching can make up for that talent discrepancy over 7 games.

I think most people would have pegged the canes to break through and make a cup final by now. They are what... 6 years into this window?

I think this series was a toss up coming into it, but the frustration lies in the 6 year window, and not so much one year in isolation.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
He is a good coach but that man to man system has to go.

Care to elaborate? Over the past 3 playoffs (NST’s max range), they’re at 1.99 5v5 GA/60, 2nd only to Vegas.

The PK deserves heat to an extent, but that’s separate from their defensive zone. The Rangers have an all-time great PP; they deserve credit for being overwhelming. Carolina’s own PP has no excuse for being as bad as it is, though.

Reactions: DaveG

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
No coaching guarantees finals appearances or championships.

Canes and Rangers were incredibly evenly matched, this series could have easily gone to the Canes.

Nature of the playoffs, good teams don’t make it all the way, not sure there’s much here anyone can point at RB, not that I’m a huge fan or anything.

Reactions: DaveG

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
No coaching guarantees finals appearances or championships.

Canes and Rangers were incredibly evenly matched, this series could have easily gone to the Canes.

Nature of the playoffs, good teams don’t make it all the way, not sure there’s much here anyone can point at RB, not that I’m a huge fan or anything.
Evenly matched if Rod had gone with Kotchetkov. Should have been fired for putting Sieve Andersen in net.
And good coaching is only part of a winning situation but bad coaching will guarantee you never get close to a Cup.

NoelVilla

Feb 25, 2019
I think it is their roster that is overrated. Top guys are not as good as most think they are. Coaching is fine in Carolina.

Reactions: Mach2

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
The coaching discussions are always the same. Go to almost every team board here and they're almost always similar. No coach is perfect. I think he's a great coach and any team would be happy to have him. He's that next generation of great coaches who'll be employed in this league for as long as he wants to work. He won't be unemployed long if CAR decide to go in a different direction.

Reactions: pld459666

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad