What would an all-time best on best tournament look like?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
sr edler's Team Sweden would look something like this

Lindbergh
Lundqvist

Lidström–Öhlund
Salming–Svedberg
Hedman–K. Jönsson

Renberg–Sundin–Alfredsson
Mats Näslund–Forsberg–Loob
Kent Nilsson–Tumba Johansson–Zetterberg
Holmström–J. Jönsson–Landeskog

No way you can have guys like Pettersson, Bäckström and Markus Näslund on this team, way too timid fluff scorers. I wish we had a real goon though who could injure the other team's best players.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
sr edler's Team Sweden would look something like this

Lindbergh
Lundqvist

Lidström–Öhlund
Salming–Svedberg
Hedman–K. Jönsson

Renberg–Sundin–Alfredsson
Mats Näslund–Forsberg–Loob
Kent Nilsson–Tumba Johansson–Zetterberg
Holmström–J. Jönsson–Landeskog

No way you can have guys like Pettersson, Bäckström and Markus Näslund on this team, way too timid fluff scorers. I wish we had a real goon though who could injure the other team's best players.
You are building a TEAM. I get that. But there is no way J.Jönsson, Renberg, Landeskog, Holmström is better than Markus Näslund, Sedins, Bäckström when it comes to skills.

Here is a name; Tomas Sandström. Produced points and was gritty. There is also Thomas Steen.

And i know Svedberg and Tumba are classic names but i doubt they where that good. When they ruled, Sweden was not as good in hockey as we been in modern times. Erik Karlsson is one of the best offensive D-man in NHL history, i doubt Svedberg could reach that level.

Regarding goon, there is Douglas Murray, he can be 8th d

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sweden

Markus Naslund Forsberg Sandstrom
Nilsson Sundin Alfredsson
Landeskog Zetterberg Loob
Sedin Sedin Lindholm
Backstrom, F. Forsberg

Lidstrom Hedman
Lindholm Karlsson
Ohlund Salming
Kronwall, Jonsson

Lundqvist
Markstrom
Salo

I struggled to maximize Sweden's best talents here. Also was surprised with overall team skating/speed when looking at the very best players. Still a good team. I don't love Naslund but Forsberg should be with a goal scorer and we know he could work with Naslund. Naslund's short prime also isn't a factor here. Sandstrom is there to work the boards and complement the other two, and I just hope that his injury issues don't matter. Nilsson's offensive potential is too much to pass up, and Sundin and Alfredsson make up for his deficiencies and make for a well rounded line. I like Zetterberg and Landeskog as a pain in the ass and matchup pair, plus Loob's game fits with that role and he can be the main playmaker on the line. I almost went with Hedberg as the Sedins' RW but I wanted Lindholm as their defensive conscience and figure he can be the third piece as a winger.

Lidstrom worked best with another defenceman who can also move the puck and with Hedman as a RHD I like just throwing them both out there together. Since Lidstrom is the only player on the team who makes every other national team if available, bringing out his best is important. I really like Lindholm's defensive game and Karlsson was always getting a partner who will allow him to roam. If we're going just on peak I could see Karlsson being a difference maker even at this level. Ohlund and Kronwall are pretty interchangeable to me and I really like Salming's well rounded game. Lundqvist and Markstrom were both steady goaltenders who peaked, in my opinion, as best in the world for a time, so Sweden is good enough in this position.
Mats Näslund instead of Elias Lindholm

Kenny Jönsson was better than Hampus Lindholm is

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Jörgen Jönsson is a great defensive face-off guy, he also turned down to play for Malmö in the 90s which makes him elite character wise.

Also, Murray's not a goon, he's just big and strong.

• Haha
Reactions: Eye of Ra

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Mats Näslund instead of Elias Lindholm

Kenny Jönsson was better than Hampus Lindholm is
I don't really like Mats Naslund for that role. Big fan of Lindholm though, and I just wanted a pure defensive player next to Karlsson. I really like Jonsson as well though.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's not about fighting it's about having a screw loose.
942px-Andreas_J%C3%A4mtin_%28cropped%29.jpg

• Haha

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Jörgen Jönsson is a great defensive face-off guy, he also turned down to play for Malmö in the 90s which makes him elite character wise.

Disagree. I always considered him a sellout who played his mother club out of the SEL and deserted them for the rest of his career. Coaches Växjö now, what kind of character does that speak of?! He’s actively in charge of the absolute worst thing we’re having to deal with in Swedish hockey today.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Can I get more on this please?

Intended hyperbole aside, Växjö has had one of the most successful teams in Swedish hockey in recent times, with a playing style widely derided for being exceptionally boring to watch. They like to passively anticipate the opponents in the neutral zone, shift down the pace, and dump pucks out of their own end rather than play any transition game. They’re very good at it, but it’s not just me saying they’ve repeatedly made the SHL finals virtually unwatchable for neutral viewers because of their boring, emotionless, albeit effective playstyle.

Furthermore, and ever since they were promoted to the SHL, they’ve been derided as a “plastic team”. I don’t know how much sense this makes to North American fans, and it’s perhaps a bit silly being as the SHL is a professional league and has been for decades now, but they’re considered a club which has bought all their success without any homegrown talent at all. It’s not a hockey city, but it’s a larger hub relatively close to a bunch of smaller towns with actual hockey tradition, where businessmen figured they could invest in eventually reaching the SHL. Their fans have been known to leave playoff games in droves early, in order to watch floorball instead.

I don’t like them, I think their success is bad for the SHL and hope they go away.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
A "like" doesn't do that justice. Thanks for that explanation. The tone made it sound like they were a very defensive team, but I see it's even more than that.

Also, maybe we couldn't call that "plastic"...but maybe we'd say they are "hollow".

They'll probably have their highest draft pick since...a German player that they bought 6 or 7 years ago.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Germany

JJ Peterka - Leon Draisaitl - Dominik Kahun
Marco Sturm - Tim Stützle - Jochen Hecht
Tobias Rieder - Erich Kühnhackl - Tom Kühnhackl
Nico Sturm - Marcel Goc - Stefan Ustorf

Dennis Seidenberg - Moritz Seider
Christian Ehrhoff - Uwe Krupp
Christoph Schubert - Ulrich Hiemer

Olaf Kölzig
Philipp Grubauer
Thomas Greiss

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
A "like" doesn't do that justice. Thanks for that explanation. The tone made it sound like they were a very defensive team, but I see it's even more than that.

Also, maybe we couldn't call that "plastic"...but maybe we'd say they are "hollow".

They'll probably have their highest draft pick since...a German player that they bought 6 or 7 years ago.

Yeah, “hollow” is a better description in English, ”plastic” is a more direct translation of what fans of other teams call themd.

They do invest in and develop junior players nowadays yeah, realistically there will be more good players coming out of Växjö in the future.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
So, going with international rules, having 20 skaters and a third goalie that doesn't dress, I made an attempt at a Russian team, since others have tried Team Canada.

Alex Ovechkin - Evgeni Malkin - Sergei Makarov
Valeri Kharlomov - Sergei Fedorov - Boris Mikhailov
Anatoli Firsov - Alexander Maltsev - Pavel Bure
Alexander Yakushev - Pavel Datsyuk - Vladimir Krutov

Slava Fetisov - Valeri Vasiliev
Sergei Gonchar - Alexei Kasatonov
Nikolai Sologubov - Sergei Zubov
Alexander Ragluin - Vladimir Lutchenko

Vladislav Tretiak
Andrei Vasilivski
Sergei Bobrovsky

What did I get wrong, and how would this team fare?
Kucherov would have to be on here.

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
Czech hockey fans answering the question - just one line + defensemen + goalie. Some questionable answers. Won't be translating but it's mostly understandable. Nevertheless interesting. Vokoun picked twice over Hasek. Probably due to him not showing up to international tournaments all that often. Spacek was also picked repeatedly.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Finland;

Patrik Laine - Aleksander Barkov - Mikko Rantanen
Jere Lehtinen - Saku Koivu - Teemu Selänne
Mikael Granlund - Sebastian Aho - Jari Kurri
Esa Tikkanen - Mikko Koivu - Olli Jokinen

Miro Heiskanen - Teppo Numminen