OT: The OT Thread | The Thread of Destiny

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
It’s the 80th anniversary of D-Day tomorrow. Only a handful of veterans are still alive from that momentous event which continues to echo through today's troubled times. Let us take a moment to reflect on their sacrifices. Let us renounce the intolerance, demagoguery, and violence that threaten to undermine the freedoms they fought to preserve.

Edit: I'm having trouble with dates and math.

Last edited:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
It’s the 60th anniversary of D-Day tomorrow. Only a handful of veterans are still alive from that momentous event which continues to echo through today's troubled times. Let us take a moment to reflect on their sacrifices. Let us renounce the intolerance, demagoguery, and violence that threaten to undermine the freedoms they fought to preserve.
100 percent agree.

I was a latecomer to my family. Let's be honest. I was a mistake. I have two older sisters and the youngest is 15 years older than I am.

My Uncle Phil, my mother's brother, was killed over the skies of England 25 years before I was even born. I only know him from the below photo and from my mother who spoke very little about her brother. I think it was just too painful for her. I wish I had known the man I was so closely related to but never had the chance to meet. World War II got in the way. The term hero has been diluted and has lost all meaning. A hero is not a guy who can score 60 goals or bat at .375 percent. A hero is someone who died defending their country and who died defending people he or she never even met.

His grave marker: "Into thine hand I commit my spirit. Thou hast redeemed me, O Lord."

315304569_1613706475711746_3630915019471373175_n.png

Last edited:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Evil shit.

That stuff you need to drink before a colonoscopy. Pure f***ing evil.

A while back I had a little lump removed from my left cheekbone that looked like Merkel cell carcinoma — a rare form of skin cancer. I spent a lot of years on the ocean out in the Sun so I'm probably a prime candidate for skin cancer.

The dermatologist said the cells were abnormal and I was actually taken aback by how forthright he was. He said it looked like cancer. He removed the lesion and sent it for a biopsy which came back negative. Cool. Happy about that of course. He told my doctor that it might be worthwhile if I took a home colon cancer screening test simply because the lesion on my face did contain abnormal-looking cells. He actually seemed a little confused about what he saw when he used that little thing that looked like a jeweller's loupe.

So I took the advice and goddam if the home colon cancer test didn't come back positive. Another abnormal result. So now tomorrow I go for the definitive test and we'll see what's going on. Right now I'm about one hour into drinking this evil shit called Peglite and I've never drunk anything so disgusting in my life, and I have to drink two litres in 90 minutes. Then another two litres at 2:30 tomorrow morning. Honestly, it feels like two gallons, not two litres.

Anyways, I'm just sitting around drinking this evil shit and waiting for the inevitable, unavoidable aftermath.

Cheers!

• Wow
Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Nopefully

Nov 11, 2023
Evil shit.

A while back I had a little lump removed from my left cheekbone that looked like Merkel cell carcinoma — a rare form of skin cancer. I spent a lot of years on the ocean out in the Sun so I'm probably a prime candidate for skin cancer.

The dermatologist said the cells were abnormal and I was actually taken aback by how forthright he was. He said it looked like cancer. He removed the lesion and sent it for a biopsy which came back negative. Cool. Happy about that of course. He told my doctor that it might be worthwhile if I took a home colon cancer screening test simply because the lesion on my face did contain abnormal-looking cells. He actually seemed a little confused about what he saw when he used that little thing that looked like a jeweller's loupe.

So I took the advice and goddam if the home colon cancer test didn't come back positive. Another abnormal result. So now tomorrow I go for the definitive test and we'll see what's going on. Right now I'm about one hour into drinking this evil shit called Peglite and I've never drunk anything so disgusting in my life, and I have to drink two litres in 90 minutes. Then another two litres at 2:30 tomorrow morning. Honestly, it feels like two gallons, not two litres.

Anyways, I'm just sitting around drinking this evil shit and waiting for the inevitable, unavoidable aftermath.

Cheers!
The Peglyte is better if you have a chaser. I drank a mouthful of apple juice for every 250mL of the crap. Be close to the crapper for the next five hours.

That sucks that you wound up with the morning appointment. Last of the day at 2:30p lets you swig the crap starting at 8:15. Had a colonoscopy two weeks ago.

They gave me fentanyl as the anaesthesia for the scope and it f***ed me up. I was still off the next day. I was bringing in the groceries and I smoked my head on the trunk of the car, concussing myself. Got over a seven year concussion just last year, pretty disappointed in getting another one. Seems like it's a minor one though. Mostly just headaches that linger at this point, and my usually excellent memory is shite. That's the way she blows I guess.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
The Peglyte is better if you have a chaser. I drank a mouthful of apple juice for every 250mL of the crap. Be close to the crapper for the next five hours.

That sucks that you wound up with the morning appointment. Last of the day at 2:30p lets you swig the crap starting at 8:15. Had a colonoscopy two weeks ago.

They gave me fentanyl as the anaesthesia for the scope and it f***ed me up. I was still off the next day. I was bringing in the groceries and I smoked my head on the trunk of the car, concussing myself. Got over a seven year concussion just last year, pretty disappointed in getting another one. Seems like it's a minor one though. Mostly just headaches that linger at this point, and my usually excellent memory is shite. That's the way she blows I guess.
I don't always get notifications here anymore when I'm quoted. I didn't get one for you and that sucks. If someone quotes me I want to know about it so I can at least give them the courtesy of reading their post and replying if I think I should.

I have a bottle of clear Gatorade and a bottle of lime Gatorade beside me. So you think I should be drinking the Gatorade at the same time?

Yeah, that definitely makes sense about the appointment time. My appointment is at 8:30 tomorrow morning - meaning I'm up at 2:30 tomorrow morning drinking that vile shit for an hour and a half and then riding the toilet for another two hours after that.

Ouch! Dude!

I hope for the best for you and that it's minor as you said. I've been pretty lucky and that 2x4 I was hit across the face with told me I have a pretty hard head. It turned my face numb, but not my brain. I guess that's a little arguable with some people around here though. :laugh:

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I don't always get notifications here anymore when I'm quoted. I didn't get one for you and that sucks. If someone quotes me I want to know about it so I can at least give them the courtesy of reading their post and replying if I think I should.

I have a bottle of clear Gatorade and a bottle of lime Gatorade beside me. So you think I should be drinking the Gatorade at the same time?

Yeah, that definitely makes sense about the appointment time. My appointment is at 8:30 tomorrow morning - meaning I'm up at 2:30 tomorrow morning drinking that vile shit for an hour and a half and then riding the toilet for another two hours after that.

Ouch! Dude!

I hope for the best for you and that it's minor as you said. I've been pretty lucky and that 2x4 I was hit across the face with told me I have a pretty hard head. It turned my face numb, but not my brain. I guess that's a little arguable with some people around here though. :laugh:

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Evil shit.

Cheers!
Had one 2 years ago. 3 polyps removed - thankfully, benign. The Peglite I drank was pineapple flavoured which helped.
The prep is the worst part, the procedure is a breeze. Wishing you well.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
100 percent agree.

I was a latecomer to my family. Let's be honest. I was a mistake. I have two older sisters and the youngest is 15 years older than I am.

My Uncle Phil, my mother's brother, was killed over the skies of England 25 years before I was even born. I only know him from the below photo and from my mother who spoke very little about her brother. I think it was just too painful for her. I wish I had known the man I was so closely related to but never had the chance to meet. World War II got in the way. The term hero has been diluted and has lost all meaning. A hero is not a guy who can score 60 goals or bat at .375 percent. A hero is someone who died defending their country and who died defending people he or she never even met.

His grave marker: "Into thine hand I commit my spirit. Thou hast redeemed me, O Lord."

View attachment 879840

So Neuls isn't your last name then, huh? Interesting read, thanks for sharing Chairman. I wonder if that was shortened for a different longer more foreign last name. Seems Germanic.

Luckily, both my grandparents were not drafted overseas. I think they both worked as mechanics for the Air Force, though. My mum's dad passed in 1985 so I never met him. My dad's dad died when I was 8 (my grandparents were fairly old when my dad was born, probably a mistake too, he figures at least). So I grew up mostly with no grandfather. My wife's parents were really young so her grandfather is still kicking and in great shape! I hadn't realized the amount of unresolved sadness of growing mostly without one. I thought that was the normal time for grandparents to die, when you're like under 10.

I agree wholeheartedly. We are so lucky to live where we do, to not ever have bad actors abroad bring war to our country and land. I think we have become desensitized and thus not unappreciative, but, blasé perhaps, to the sense of true heroism and the sacrifice that comes with it. Dying for your country is one, but I think of my parents who always had food on the table, a roof over our heads, and to boot instilling me with the ethics that drive who I am today.

Heroism comes in many forms, and I don't think we as a society celebrate that as much as we should. Mostly just lip service. And for the record, I supported Don Cherry's sentiments when he was fired. But, I don't think the issue is race I think it's just the passage of time dulling the understanding of what happened for those 6 years.

Reactions: tradervik

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
The calamity of WWII makes me think... most of the neighborhood I live in came about post-war, as vets settled back down to new suburbs and later, their kids streamed into Baby Boom adulthood to fill the cul-the-sacs. CMHC behind their backs for home ownership, new sweeping social programs and broad prosperity from being an intact country after much of the world suffered horribly. There were countless lives lost preceding all that.

Then I look out my window and notice that more half the original homes in my cul-de-sac are gone. They were Vancouver Special or postwar bungalow style, most were very well taken care of. In their place are enormous but blocky mansions, trying to squeeze every last drop of finished square footage from the lot. They look like apartment buildings from afar but no, it's all just for one family and I don't know of one that has more than 5 people. There was a bungalow on the corner lot that sold for $1.5 million and made way to one of these mansions. Another one was demolished, and in its place is another mansion on sale for $3 million dollars. We're living in a housing crisis, opioid crisis, cost of living crisis, climate crisis... but I suppose some people are coming out on top and they're making sure they can't be touched.

I don't imagine this is the kind of future that was envisioned after the war. Sorry for being ranty.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Evil shit.

Cheers!
Wishing you luck buddy.

Hearing the C word under any context is jarring. My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2017 and I believe had to do the same process you're talking about.

I feel incredibly blessed and fortunate to say that he has been given a positive prognosis several times and has been told that prostate cancer is something he will die with not from.

But in his case, he calls it 'the gift of cancer' as he had somewhat checked out of life and it felt like he was running out the clock.

Cancer was a wakeup call for him and in his recovery he met a woman whom he is marrying a couple of weekends from now as a man in his 70's.

So maintain the hope, sometimes wonderful things come from that which at first appears to be terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad