Sudbury Wolves 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Maybe? Depending on the ‘07, that is a lot. I’m not sure the market can support all of the top prized ‘05 forwards discussed as likely available. Musty, Barlow, Rehkopf, Pinelli, plus the unexpected at this time.
I’d expect atleast a good 07 and an alright 08. You may not get many draft picks this way but you get the players atleast

Also probably add romani to that list

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
30 hours post trade: grade the trade?
B+ for both teams imo. The wolves turned needing to move OAs in to a good haul. Flint paid full value for what it wanted.
I thought Flint had a great day getting four 19-20 yr old right shots and the brother of an unsigned prospect. I think getting your additions prior to training camp is a good idea.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Is your owner really that far off from the truth with his comment?

Sudbury will return 9 high-quality player (likely 5 NHL drafted): Delic; DeAngelis; McCoy; Dvorský; Musty; Pharand; Villeneuve; Walton; Jackson and a few other OAs they can deal to improve an already improved draft cupboard following the blockbuster deal 2025: 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5; 2026: 3, 3, 5, 5; 2027: 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 5; 2028: 2, 3, 4, 4, 5

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Also, I don’t see Missy trading a stud tender to an Eastern Conference Rival. I hate to say it but I say London..
I agree London could be a possibility. They do need a goalie.

Would be a huge package for the guy. May be a top 2/3 goalie in the league as early as this coming year. Was arguably top 5 already this season. I assume the top 3 would be in no particular order: oster, George and Leenders.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Is your owner really that far off from the truth with his comment?

Sudbury will return 9 high-quality player (likely 5 NHL drafted): Delic; DeAngelis; McCoy; Dvorský; Musty; Pharand; Villeneuve; Walton; Jackson and a few other OAs they can deal to improve an already improved draft cupboard following the blockbuster deal 2025: 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5; 2026: 3, 3, 5, 5; 2027: 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 5; 2028: 2, 3, 4, 4, 5
0 chance in hell Dvorsky is back. He’s definitely got nothing else to prove here. Adapted well to the North American game. Was drafted before coming to Sudbury he’s AHL bound 100000%

Musty is a toss up. NHL or OHL for him although apparently someone said on here he could be considering Europe since the AHL route isn’t available to him. He’s drafted to the worst team in the NHL and I remember reports of him doing really well with will smith there at the sharks training camp last year.

He will get atleast the 9 game stint. So probably won’t be coming until atleast January because after that he will be on team USA for the WJC

Anyone have an idea of when the OHL is going to let people go to the NCAA?

If it’s this season you’d have to think musty considers that for sure playing back in his own country and the NCAA is a better league than the CHL

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
0 chance in hell Dvorsky is back. He’s definitely got nothing else to prove here. Adapted well to the North American game. Was drafted before coming to Sudbury he’s AHL bound 100000%

Musty is a toss up. NHL or OHL for him although apparently someone said on here he could be considering Europe since the AHL route isn’t available to him. He’s drafted to the worst team in the NHL and I remember reports of him doing really well with will smith there at the sharks training camp last year.

He will get atleast the 9 game stint. So probably won’t be coming until atleast January because after that he will be on team USA for the WJC

If it’s this season you’d have to think musty considers that for sure playing back in his own country and the NCAA is a better league than the CHL
It's not the chl or ohl holding players from the ncaa. The ncaa considers major junior players pros and don't allow them after even preseason

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018

This is not entirely impossible, but what if Dvorsky is replaced with an equally talented import (or two) and Musty returns to the OHL?
Would Sudbury not be in the process and initial stages of, as the owner stated "making important moves to strengthen our team and position ourselves for a deep run this season" with that trade and the subsequent trades to follow?

Last edited:

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
This is not entirely impossible, but what if Dvorsky is replaced with an equally talented import (or two) and Musty returns to the OHL?
Would Sudbury not be in the process and initial stages of, as the owner stated "making important moves to strengthen our team and position ourselves for a deep run this season" with that trade and the subsequent trades to follow?
Dvorsky is the 10th overall pick in the 2023 draft and just had 45G, 88P in 52 games in his first OHL season. He is definitely a 1 and done. You’re not going to find someone better than that. He was a top 10 player in his “Rookie” year. The imports you likely pick are just going to be depth players not an ohl superstar like Dvorsky

Musty may return but it’s a 50/50 chance.
If it was Buffalo or Montreal id say he wouldn’t make them this year but it’s the Sharks. They’re the worst team in the NHL. However celebrini and smith will both be on on the team this year. Not sure if they take 3 rookie forwards on the same year but they’re all talented enough for it. Wait and see what happens

To put into perspective musty had a 1.92PPG average this season. The next closest? The MVP Cowan who had a 1.78. What’s the point of Musty playing another year? Just to make it a 2.2 or 2.3 average? He’s made his mark here it’s time to move on from OHL.

He’s got the size, physicality for the NHL. Something a guy like Jordan Dumais in the Q doesn’t have even though Dumais is more talented.

It's not the chl or ohl holding players from the ncaa. The ncaa considers major junior players pros and don't allow them after even preseason
Are they changing a rule about that though? Or what is being changed besides NCAA athletes now getting paid

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
Elliot Friedman and Jeff Marek have discussed this a few times on 32 thoughts and the jeff marek show. Can't recall the last specific day they did. They have said the ncaa has discussed making a change to allowing it, however; there is no timeline as to when it could happen. There would be a lot that goes into making this change from both sides ncaa and major junior.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Dvorsky is the 10th overall pick in the 2023 draft and just had 45G, 88P in 52 games in his first OHL season. He is definitely a 1 and done. You’re not going to find someone better than that. He was a top 10 player in his “Rookie” year. The imports you likely pick are just going to be depth players not an ohl superstar like Dvorsky

Musty may return but it’s a 50/50 chance.
If it was Buffalo or Montreal id say he wouldn’t make them this year but it’s the Sharks. They’re the worst team in the NHL. However celebrini and smith will both be on on the team this year. Not sure if they take 3 rookie forwards on the same year but they’re all talented enough for it. Wait and see what happens

To put into perspective musty had a 1.92PPG average this season. The next closest? The MVP Cowan who had a 1.78. What’s the point of Musty playing another year? Just to make it a 2.2 or 2.3 average? He’s made his mark here it’s time to move on from OHL.

He’s got the size, physicality for the NHL. Something a guy like Jordan Dumais in the Q doesn’t have even though Dumais is more talented.

Are they changing a rule about that though? Or what is being changed besides NCAA athletes now getting paid
Not sure which Musty your watching play hockey? Physical? Nope. Score and get just short of 2 pts/game? Yes. Defensive side of the puck needs a ton of work and attitude needs some adjusting by a coach that can get control of him. When you don’t come off the ice when told and curse and swear at your coaches I’d say he is very far from succeeding or playing any Pro hockey.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Dvorsky we can agree is AHL bound, Musty does not that option, however, the question I’m asking in here is…looking at Sudbury’s roster post-blockbuster trade, pre-import draft and trades are the owner's comments "making important moves to strengthen our team and position ourselves for a deep run this season" really that “far off” from the truth?

Delic; DeAngelis; McCoy; Musty; Pharand; Villeneuve; Walton; Jackson along with a few more OAs they can deal to improve an already improved draft cupboard 2025: 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5; 2026: 3, 3, 5, 5; 2027: 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 5; 2028: 2, 3, 4, 4, 5

With these potential returning players (and draft picks) can we not say Sudbury is "in the process and initial stages" of doing exactly what he said?

Would be interested in hearing the thoughts of some faithful Wolves fan on this topic also?

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

Musty has signed an NHL contract and would be ineligible for the NCAA. As for the NHL, anyone who has watched him play for more than one game will tell you that he isn't pro ready. He has the requisite offensive abilities but his overall attitude, lack of a 200 foot game, skating deficiencies, lazy tendencies, etc will keep him in the O and its doubtful he gets the 9 game stint in the NHL.

Dvorsky we can agree is AHL bound, Musty does not that option, however, the question I’m asking in here is…looking at Sudbury’s roster post-blockbuster trade, pre-import draft and trades are the owner's comments "making important moves to strengthen our team and position ourselves for a deep run this season" really that “far off” from the truth?

Delic; DeAngelis; McCoy; Musty; Pharand; Villeneuve; Walton; Jackson along with a few more OAs they can deal to improve an already improved draft cupboard 2025: 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5; 2026: 3, 3, 5, 5; 2027: 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 5; 2028: 2, 3, 4, 4, 5

With these potential returning players (and draft picks) can we not say Sudbury is "in the process and initial stages" of doing exactly what he said?

Would be interested in hearing the thoughts of some faithful Wolves fan on this topic also?

As of right now, the Wolves have too many needs. They need a coach who knows structure and discipline and who won't be managed by the GM. That same coach also has to be able to break the bad habits of his better players. They need a goalie as right now they have Krawchuk and Gaulton who the brass has shown they have no faith in. Need an above average goalie . They are pretty thin on defense behind the 2 OA's and Ewles, asking a lot of the rookie defensemen. They need to do well at the Euro draft and perhaps thats the way to fill in a few gaps. There is talent there for sure and a pretty good core so maybe you can burn the draft pick pile if the plan is contention again. To do that you need to make good deals at a good price early to plug the holes and you hope your 17 year old rookies like Jackson, Chitaroni, Clayton can figure out the league quickly.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

with Musty and those OAs an attempted run is likely imo

Reactions: NorthernBridge7

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007

Yes, it is far off from the truth. This years team will be significantly weaker than last years team. Goaltending and defense need to be upgraded, and a coach has yet to be hired. There is no way this team is competing for a title this year and should be selling everything they can in order to build for a championship when the new arena is ready. Even in that best case scenario, I'd expect a couple lean years. But, as stated many times before, the way the management played the hand dealt to them last year, I don't think they are capable of winning anything anytime soon. They need to clean house.... period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad