GDT: SCP24 | RD2 | GM1 | Dallas Stars vs. Colorado Avalanche | 8:30PM CT | ESPN

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Avs and refs were better in the 2nd.

Yep. The stripes had one goal in mind at the start of the 2nd. Try to even up the penalties and make the game competitive. A few minutes into the 2nd period Stankoven is clearly tripped. There should have been no question about the call. Refs swallowed their whistles and then a few minutes later called probably the softest slash I've ever seen on Dadonov. Manson with his goal line save at the end of the first and the refs not giving Dallas an early 2nd period PP to go up 4-0 were both game changing plays obviously. As soon as they ignored the Stankoven trip I knew Colorado was getting the next couple power plays regardless of what happened on the ice. A delay of game was the only way Dallas was getting the next power play.

The "embellishment" on Hintz was just icing on the cake. It was clear as day that Manson committed a penalty but the only way to keep things level was to take Hintz off the ice as well. Hintz didn't embellish. He was tripped while also trying to avoid the net and he went down.

That's not to say Dallas didn't play like shit in the 2nd period. They thought they could sit on a lead like they did against Vegas. When playing against the refs and MacKinnon getting tossed on the ice every other shift you can't just play the high flip and sit back game.

I still like Dallas in the series if a few of the big names would step up. Dallas beat Vegas without Hintz, Seguin, Pavelski, Harley, Duchene, and Stankoven doing a damn thing offensively. That shows how deep Dallas is but Dallas also needs those guys to at least contribute. Hintz and Duchene mainly need to show up.

Oettinger had his worst game since game 1 against Vegas so I expect him to bounce back like he did last series. He wasn't tested all that much last night and didn't make any game changing saves. He played about as vanilla as you can get. The game winning goal was about 90% on Oettinger and 10% on the defense. Oettinger cheated near post and shrank to the size of Arturs Irbe. Better positioning and a routine poke check should have ended that play.

There's my novel for the day.

JWB/WDI

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
I think the embellishment call was a ref who did not want to make a call but the Manson penalty was so overt he had to make that call and took the easy way out by calling embellishing. That way it did not give an advantage and change the outcome of the game. Even though it did by making a dumb ass embellishment call.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Blaming Oettinger & Refs is hilarious.

Hintz dove, arguing otherwise is homer take.

Robertson dove, arguing otherwise is homer take.

Look at the reality of the plays.

12 players vs 1 player over 55% at 5 on 5.

But yeah, we didn't get outplayed guys we were right there. We didn't get outhit 45 to 20. We were so close and then Oettinger couldn't shut the door on a breakaway! Damn Oettinger!

Surely.

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Blaming Oettinger & Refs is hilarious.

Hintz dove, arguing otherwise is homer take.

Robertson dove, arguing otherwise is homer take.

Look at the reality of the plays.

12 players vs 1 player over 55% at 5 on 5.

But yeah, we didn't get outplayed guys we were right there. We didn't get outhit 45 to 20. We were so close and then Oettinger couldn't shut the door on a breakaway! Damn Oettinger!

Surely.
Giving Oettinger a pass on an unscreened wrist shot from the point, is a weird take.
his play on the game winner, is also very questionable, it wasn't a clear breakaway, there was back pressure, all he had to do was not play it like a brainless idiot and it's a save.
Oettinger deserves quite a bit of blame for both.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Giving Oettinger a pass on an unscreened wrist shot from the point, is a weird take.
his play on the game winner, is also very questionable, it wasn't a clear breakaway, there was back pressure, all he had to do was not play it like a brainless idiot and it's a save.
Oettinger deserves quite a bit of blame for both.

I dislike the Makar goal, I agree with you on that one. OT goal I'm not going to blame the goalie for.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
I am guessing Otter expected Miro to prevent the play that happened and figured he only needed to worry about the short side. In most cases, he would be right to expect that.

Reactions: roryjones

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
EOS Dallas played like shit and Colorado took advantage after the first.

The refs are always shit, the Stars are just tired, injured and artificially short handed on top of having the house continue to be our #1 enemy.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
I think the embellishment call was a ref who did not want to make a call but the Manson penalty was so overt he had to make that call and took the easy way out by calling embellishing. That way it did not give an advantage and change the outcome of the game. Even though it did by making a dumb ass embellishment call.
Exactly what I think, as well as Sean Shapiro and Castillo and others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad