Props to Barrie Colts Scouting

cvandenberg22

Dec 25, 2012
I just want to give props to the Barrie Colts and Mark Seidel’s scouting staff. Mark gas been one of the best evaluators in hockey for a long time, and I don’t think he and the Colts get enough credit for developing players and accumulating talent.

The Colts often hit on their top 3 round picks and these players often end up in the 1st or 2nd round of the NHL draft. Recent examples of this are:
Cole Beaudoin (potential 1st round pick ‘24)
Beau Akey (2nd round, 2023)
Hunter Haight (2nd round ‘22)
Brandt Clarke (1st round ‘21)
Tyson Foerster (1st round ‘20)

These are elite players who were drafted in the NHL ahead of many of their OHL draft class. They have also started to draft ahead in the CHL import Draft with recent selections Edouard Sale and Michael Nygard who will be NHL draft selected and then join the team after becoming 1st round picks. Kashawn Aitcheson, who was an OHL 3rd round pick is rocketing up 2025 NHL draft boards and their shrewd trade with London for the rights to William Moore, may pay off if he decides once he is drafted into the NHL, to go the OHL route.

Hopefully, with Beau Akey healthy, Beau Jelsma back as an overager, the continued development of a strong 2006 class (Cole Beaudoin, Riley Patterson, Kashawn Aitcheson) and some European additions such as Brandsegg-Nygard; the Colts can challenge for the OHL title.

Reactions: OHLColtsPuck

TrueNorthJag

Apr 17, 2024
Not going to lie, I have Jack Brauti absurdly high in my rankings and I know a few other scouts who have him in the 3-6 round range. Won't be surprised when he gets drafted in June.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
the Colts can challenge for the OHL title.
There in lays the problem. Great scouting and drafting is part of the equation but sadly for Barrie historically they struggle on the ice? Huge setback when Dale Hawerchuck passed away at such a young age. I think he would have gotten maximum results from the exceptional drafting you speak of. R.I.P. Dale forever missed in the hockey world.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
There in lays the problem. Great scouting and drafting is part of the equation but sadly for Barrie historically they struggle on the ice? Huge setback when Dale Hawerchuck passed away at such a young age. I think he would have gotten maximum results from the exceptional drafting you speak of. R.I.P. Dale forever missed in the hockey world.

Hawerchuk was a great person and coach, and one of my favourite players ever.

Williamson is building his team from scratch this time. I think there is good chance that it works.
His team did have the battalion on the ropes last season. It looked to me that Cardwell-Clarke-Veirling would not be stopped.
Christopolous put a stop to it though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad