Prospect Info: Jets Prospects

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
We all hope Heinola becomes a solid top 4 defenseman, we all know Stanley will never be that. No need to pick fights here lol

Even as a third pairing dman he has tools that can be useful to an NHL team. Can run a PP, is a good PKer in the AHL, good at moving the puck out and in transition.

Would have been nice to see him get a run of games this year, hopefully no freak injuries next preseason.

Triple for Gabe. Enough lol

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think a lot of people around here feel that Heinola didn't get the same fair shake as Stanley. Some of it was just bad injury luck for Heinola, but Stanley got a much easier path to the NHL.

And yeah people were mad right off the hop about Stanley because it looked like a dumb bet. People just got madder as the Jets doubled and tripled down on that bet, throwing good money after bad...and now at the end of the day, 8 years after his draft, we've apparently got ourselves a borderline 3rd pairing defenseman! What the f*** are the Jets even doing here? I think that's the anti-Stanley lobby's issue in a nutshell...more of an anti-bad-decisions position really.

Anyway, Heinola at least still has the potential to be something good. If he'd put up amazing results in his 35 games over the last 5 years it would just raise even more questions about the Jets' decision making.
Stanley came in as a replacement for Beaulieu in 2021. Which was a PKing role. Probably wouldn't have got the start in the playoffs if Beaulieu wasn't injured...But was a + player in both series that year (along with Lowry and Appleton)...The Dillon trade to replace Forbort and the emergence of Dylan Samberg relegated him the next season. So I would say he earned a starting role when it was available, did well in it, but got passed by a superior player. Ville Heinola probably needed a Pionk injury to get the same chance but to many Jets fans chagrin #4 has stayed healthy.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
please explain

He likely wants to play in the NHL if he is signing and they probably want to push his UFA status out a year so they don't give him a guarantee that he will have a spot in the lineup and he decides to stay in College and the Jets get an extra year to push his UFA status out

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He likely wants to play in the NHL if he is signing and they probably want to push his UFA status out a year so they don't give him a guarantee that he will have a spot in the lineup and he decides to stay in College and the Jets get an extra year to push his UFA status out
He'll be an unrestricted free agent when he is 27 regardless if he signed this year or the next year?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
it has nothing at all to do with cheapness, one of murat/wiebe said on wst they would have signed him but he felt the opportunity wasn't there for him to start in the nhl...

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
it has nothing at all to do with cheapness, one of murat/wiebe said on wst they would have signed him but he felt the opportunity wasn't there for him to start in the nhl...
Which makes me wonder how that squares with the "Ehlers is as good as gone" crew

If that were the case, there's be a spot in the top 6 for him

Either chevy plans on Ehlers being back or he has a plan be for a top 6 winger who isn't him

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Which makes me wonder how that squares with the "Ehlers is as good as gone" crew

If that were the case, there's be a spot in the top 6 for him

Either chevy plans on Ehlers being back or he has a plan be for a top 6 winger who isn't him

Plan B is Lambert?

Reactions: Buffdog

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Interesting interview with Salomonsson's SHL coach. He described Salomonsson as "dominant" at the beginning of last season, and "even more dominant" by the end of the season and through the playoffs. Said that Salomonsson was one of a few players that deserved playoff MVP. Said he was part of the best SHL D pair in the playoffs. That is very, very high praise for a 19-year old D.

Jets at Noon with Cam Poitras and Jim Toth | Is Elias Salomonsson the Winnipeg Jets most impressive prospect? | Illegal Curve Hockey

Paraphrasing...

Skating and physical play were "phenomenal".

"First 5-10 meters of skating is just crazy" including with the puck).

"With that skating, he should jump into the rush all the time".

"Quiet". "Funny". "Self-confident".

"Two-way D". "Always beating his man and giving them an extra player on the rush".

"Could have played World Championship for Sweden".

"I'm not going to be surprised if we see him in the show (NHL) next season".

"For sure", should have been a 1st round pick in his draft season, in retrospect.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Interesting interview with Salomonsson's SHL coach. He described Salomonsson as "dominant" at the beginning of last season, and "even more dominant" by the end of the season and through the playoffs. Said that Salomonsson was one of a few players that deserved playoff MVP. Said he was part of the best SHL D pair in the playoffs. That is very, very high praise for a 19-year old D.

Jets at Noon with Cam Poitras and Jim Toth | Is Elias Salomonsson the Winnipeg Jets most impressive prospect? | Illegal Curve Hockey

Paraphrasing...

Skating and physical play were "phenomenal".

"First 5-10 meters of skating is just crazy" including with the puck).

"With that skating, he should jump into the rush all the time".

"Quiet". "Funny". "Self-confident".

"Two-way D". "Always beating his man and giving them an extra player on the rush".

"Could have played World Championship for Sweden".

"I'm not going to be surprised if we see him in the show (NHL) next season".

"For sure", should have been a 1st round pick in his draft season, in retrospect.

we need him to hit the most out of any of our prospects

Whileee

May 29, 2010
we need him to hit the most out of any of our prospects
I've watched him a fair bit this season, and he really looks like a "can't miss" prospect to me. He has a great combination of size and speed (his skating is elite), he's rock-solid defensively (plays tight gaps), and he's now developed a strong puck game (transition and in the offensive zone). He was also very good in camp last year. I think the Jets should consider accelerating his development by giving him an opportunity at the NHL level. It might take him a while to fully adjust, but he's played at a very high level in the SHL, and I think he'll quickly adapt to the NHL game. I might be wrong, but I think he's got top-pairing potential at the NHL level, and I'd be surprised if he isn't at least a strong 2nd pair RD. Just what the Jets need, actually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad