CFL 2024

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Sounds like the Elks have not gotten their shit together and this deal is about to fall apart, if has not already.
Forgive my ignorance but I still don’t understand what this deal is supposed to be. Is this a buyer buying the team outright from whatever entity owns it meaning they have full control over the Elks or is this someone buying in as a minority owner and essentially just donating cash for the existing ownership to keep the team afloat for longer?

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Forgive my ignorance but I still don’t understand what this deal is supposed to be. Is this a buyer buying the team outright from whatever entity owns it meaning they have full control over the Elks or is this someone buying in as a minority owner and essentially just donating cash for the existing ownership to keep the team afloat for longer?
To buy them, I don't think anyone is going to donate to the Elks.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Randy been working on the CFL stats website now for 2+ years now. What an absolute joke this is. I mean, having an up to date stats platform and operating a professional football league are sorta integral. I’ve heard many media people just rail against the league because of this gap in their operations.
And on the flip side, when Cohon was commissioner in the late 2000's, one of his big projects was to make the website, highlight videos, and other online media forms as top notch as possible so that a younger generation could engage with the league on their level.

That was a huge part of why I became a fan at age 14; if I heard that the Esks won, I never read it in the paper, but would go online and watch highlight videos the next day (which was a novel technology at the time).

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Randy been working on the CFL stats website now for 2+ years now. What an absolute joke this is. I mean, having an up to date stats platform and operating a professional football league are sorta integral. I’ve heard many media people just rail against the league because of this gap in their operations.

It’s really another indictment on the owners that they can’t attract a quality candidate as commissioner that has vision and is given reasonable resources to carry it through. It is so bad you actually pine for Jeffery Orridge to make a return…. (I don’t mean that last part ;) ).

At about this time last year I said that the stats issue alone is a fireable offence for Ambrosie. Now here we are a year later and it sounds like it's getting worse.

And on the flip side, when Cohon was commissioner in the late 2000's, one of his big projects was to make the website, highlight videos, and other online media forms as top notch as possible so that a younger generation could engage with the league on their level.

That was a huge part of why I became a fan at age 14; if I heard that the Esks won, I never read it in the paper could go online and watch highlight videos the next day (which was a novel technology at the time).

Cohon was the best Commissioner in my lifetime at least. At the end of his tenure you could even say that the CFL was starting to get the veneer of a legit top league. Cohon brought new stadiums and a massive TV deal and seemed to legitimize the league in general. Pretty much everything he did is completely reversed now.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

That was a huge part of why I became a fan at age 14; if I heard that the Esks won, I never read it in the paper could go online and watch highlight videos the next day (which was a novel technology at the time).
I’ve seen all CFL Commissioners and their impact on the league since Jake Gaudaur in the late 1960s/early 1970s when I first started to pay attention to things like that. Of all, given the times and challenges in front of them, Mark Cohon was so far ahead the rest of them in terms of being good for the league, it’s not even funny.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I’ve seen all CFL Commissioners and their impact on the league since Jake Gaudaur in the late 1960s/early 1970s when I first started to pay attention to things like that. Of all, given the times and challenges in front of them, Mark Cohon was so far ahead the rest of them in terms of being good for the league, it’s not even funny.
Cohon was also smart enough to see the writing on the wall and left at a time when everyone else THOUGHT the league was in great shape. Turns out it was the peak and the decline came shortly after.

Reactions: brentashton

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Cohon was also smart enough to see the writing on the wall and left at a time when everyone else THOUGHT the league was in great shape. Turns out it was the peak and the decline came shortly after.

Thinking about it after my last post, I wonder how much of the Cohon success was driven by kind of a "goldilocks" CFL fan demographic situation. You kind of touch on the thought here.

On the basis that CFL fans are heavily skewed towards the older demographic, Cohon would have had 10-15 years worth of older folks that would have cared for the league and have passed away since, only to be replaced by 10-15 years of young people, of which probably 90%+ don't care at all. No idea at all what the impact is of this if there is even any impact at all, but it's food for thought. What we've already been predicting for years (CFL dies a slow death as old fans move on) may already have occurred/be occurring.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Thinking about it after my last post, I wonder how much of the Cohon success was driven by kind of a "goldilocks" CFL fan demographic situation. You kind of touch on the thought here.

On the basis that CFL fans are heavily skewed towards the older demographic, Cohon would have had 10-15 years worth of older folks that would have cared for the league and have passed away since, only to be replaced by 10-15 years of young people, of which probably 90%+ don't care at all. No idea at all what the impact is of this if there is even any impact at all, but it's food for thought. What we've already been predicting for years (CFL dies a slow death as old fans move on) may already have occurred/be occurring.
Parts of this premise I do agree with. Cohon saw the writing on the wall and the CFL is dieing as it struggles to adapt and replace an aging fanbase

@JordanGalhanth also identifies something attributable to MC why he (Jordan) became a new CFL in that period. So there were opportunities and some things done to grow and develop new fanbase members. But as we can see, not enough.

When I look at the owners at the time (and historically), the CFL I suspect struggled to financially fund the vision of Cohon to continue to do the things necessary to bring the league into the new century so he bolted.

Leagues of all types have come, some flourished others died in the period before and after Cohon. The ones that have died have always seemed to be underfunded in their model. I think North American football, no matter how unique you may be from the NFL, has that elephant always threatening to roll over on them.The CFL is no different.

Last edited:
Reactions: K1984

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Right on cue I get a text from my Dad - "You coming to the game Saturday." Response - "No because the game is in Dallas, and you think you have to ask me if I'm attending a playoff game?"

I had absolutely no idea that there was a pre-season Elks game Saturday, and if I didn't come here I wouldn't have known that the pre-season had already started. If the Oilers go to the Finals that is pretty much a worst case scenario for the Elks. That team won't get a sniff of attention or coverage until July at least, maybe even later if the Oilers won it.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Right on cue I get a text from my Dad - "You coming to the game Saturday." Response - "No because the game is in Dallas, and you think you have to ask me if I'm attending a playoff game?"

I had absolutely no idea that there was a pre-season Elks game Saturday, and if I didn't come here I wouldn't have known that the pre-season had already started. If the Oilers go to the Finals that is pretty much a worst case scenario for the Elks. That team won't get a sniff of attention or coverage until July at least, maybe even later if the Oilers won it.
You should have asked him if he had flights booked. ;)

Reactions: bellagiobob

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023

I didn't know there was a game on Saturday either. This is the 50th season since I first became a season ticket holder. I paid for this years tickets in full in the middle of April and earlier this month got an email from them asking what I wanted to do with my unused balance. What?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I didn't know there was a game on Saturday either. This is the 50th season since I first became a season ticket holder. I paid for this years tickets in full in the middle of April and earlier this month got an email from them asking what I wanted to do with my unused balance. What?
Its all part and parcel of a general deterioration in the organization.

This is why I am now convinced that a sale is necessary. A fresh start with some new ideas.

That doesn't mean that private ownership will be a success because it hasn't been in many previous CFL cases but it seems to be the best bet at survival as of today.

Sad stuff isn't it? A franchise that is all but unrecognizable. Sort of like seeing Anita Pallenberg in the 1960's and then seeing the drugged out hag of the 21st century.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

This is why I am now convinced that a sale is necessary. A fresh start with some new ideas.

That doesn't mean that private ownership will be a success because it hasn't been in many previous CFL cases but it seems to be the best bet at survival as of today.

Sad stuff isn't it? A franchise that is all but unrecognizable. Sort of like seeing Anita Pallenberg in the 1960's and then seeing the drugged out hag of the 21st century.
To be fair, Anita Pallenberg looked pretty drugged out in the 1960’s too.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023

It seems to me the entire CFL is in a crisis situation but we need to find solutions for our corner of it.
I had to look up who Anita Pallenberg is, I see a Rolling Stone connection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad