Prospect Info: Avs draft F Calum Ritchie (2023 #27 overall)

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I mean Kerfoot and Malinski are literally the same scenario as players.... Kerfoot earned a shot and filled a role. Malinski does not.

Malinski's issues are purely skill set related. He's decent offensively, but he's at best our 3rd best offensive dman and not NHL quality defensively. When you're a 7D having no defensive ability is a problem if you aren't filling an offensive role which Malinski does not.
And somehow Caleb I took two insanely bad penalties in game 4 is better? Sorry the argument of he didn't earn it is trash. He was fine in his mins he was given during the regular season, absolutely not worse than Jones. He had some good and some bad, completely expected from a guy transitioning to the NHL. But the coach decided he'd rather a journeyman who's proven multiple times in his career he can't do it deserved the chances.

Malinski should have been playing over Jones he was simply better and probably should have been rotating with JMFJ as to lighten his work load as there wasn't much difference between JMFJ and Malinski.

Malinski and Behrens better be highly considered options on 3rd pair and 7th rotating D next year. I'm over these Jones type players who suck. I'd rather watch a guy like Malinski try than a guy I know sucks at the NHL level like Jones.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
And somehow Caleb I took two insanely bad penalties in game 4 is better? Sorry the argument of he didn't earn it is trash. He was fine in his mins he was given during the regular season, absolutely not worse than Jones. He had some good and some bad, completely expected from a guy transitioning to the NHL. But the coach decided he'd rather a journeyman who's proven multiple times in his career he can't do it deserved the chances.

Malinski should have been playing over Jones he was simply better and probably should have been rotating with JMFJ as to lighten his work load as there wasn't much difference between JMFJ and Malinski.

Malinski and Behrens better be highly considered options on 3rd pair and 7th rotating D next year. I'm over these Jones type players who suck. I'd rather watch a guy like Malinski try than a guy I know sucks at the NHL level like Jones.
Again it's about role with Malinksi... The dude cannot defend in the NHL, like worse than Jones and JJ. He's definitely got some skill with the puck, but he's clearly behind Makar, Toews, and Girard when it comes to puck ability. He's not supplanting any of those guys on the PP when he's here and he can't PK. So when we lost Toews, a crucial part of the PK, why would we bring up someone who's only major benefit is playing on the PP? That makes no sense.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I mean Kerfoot and Malinski are literally the same scenario as players.... Kerfoot earned a shot and filled a role. Malinski does not.

Malinski's issues are purely skill set related. He's decent offensively, but he's at best our 3rd best offensive dman and not NHL quality defensively. When you're a 7D having no defensive ability is a problem if you aren't filling an offensive role which Malinski does not.
Kerfoot was joining a team coming off a 48 point season. Easier to earn a spot in that line up.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Not sure how you tell anything on Foudy when he get 5 mins a night with 4th liners and then gets sent back.

Glad you are able to tell exactly the issues he has in the whole 20 mins of action he got this year.
Because in those 5 minutes he looks like a chicken with its head cut off. Idgaf how much skill you have or speed you have, you can't be skating around without a clue. There's a reason why Bednar only gives him 5 minutes. He realizes this, too.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Because in those 5 minutes he looks like a chicken with its head cut off. Idgaf how much skill you have or speed you have, you can't be skating around without a clue. There's a reason why Bednar only gives him 5 minutes. He realizes this, too.
I'm calling this BS, 5 mins a game on the bottom line for 4 games is not enough data to make wild claims that he looks like a chicken with his head cut off. He was literally getting 1 or 2 shifts a period. In those minimal shifts he was perfectly fine, hell he even scored a goal. Can't score a goal if you aren't remotely going to the right places.

The simple fact for him is he got pushed out when we acquired Trenin and Duhaime. In that scenario him getting pushed out was fine, since you had 2 NHL level players that were acquired. That's not always the case and the Avs need to be better about really testing out in house younger players before running out to find mid to below average vets.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm calling this BS, 5 mins a game on the bottom line for 4 games is not enough data to make wild claims that he looks like a chicken with his head cut off. He was literally getting 1 or 2 shifts a period. In those minimal shifts he was perfectly fine, hell he even scored a goal. Can't score a goal if you aren't remotely going to the right places.

The simple fact for him is he got pushed out when we acquired Trenin and Duhaime. In that scenario him getting pushed out was fine, since you had 2 NHL level players that were acquired. That's not always the case and the Avs need to be better about really testing out in house younger players before running out to find mid to below average vets.
Pushed out when we got Trenin and Duhaime? If anything is to be called BS on, it's that. The guy wasn't going to be here regardless of those two on the 4th line.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Pushed out when we got Trenin and Duhaime? If anything is to be called BS on, it's that. The guy wasn't going to be here regardless of those two on the 4th line.

Foudy had multiple guys he had to leap frog to get in the lineup.

Even if they didn't add any forwards at the deadline, he'd still be behind Kiviranta and Cogs on the 4th line, plus Wagner, and Kovalenko as scratches. Even more of a hurdle if Gabe came back and Val didn't leave.

Bednar might have played other AHLers over him too.

Reactions: dahrougem2

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Again it's about role with Malinksi... The dude cannot defend in the NHL, like worse than Jones and JJ. He's definitely got some skill with the puck, but he's clearly behind Makar, Toews, and Girard when it comes to puck ability. He's not supplanting any of those guys on the PP when he's here and he can't PK. So when we lost Toews, a crucial part of the PK, why would we bring up someone who's only major benefit is playing on the PP? That makes no sense.
Girard is no better than Malinski in terms of puck ability, save perhaps for being able to spin in circles. "Muffin shot" Girard is well behind Malinski as a shooter and that is not debatable.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Girard is no better than Malinski in terms of puck ability, save perhaps for being able to spin in circles. "Muffin shot" Girard is well behind Malinski as a shooter and that is not debatable.
G is a better passer and has better hands. But more than anything, G looks like forsling in comparison.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
So he’s magically going to completely change his skill set at age 25? 26 when the season starts.
No, he missed out on Nuke's locker room Pixie Dust. However, he's not the first player who needs more than 20 games to adapt to the NHL game, and he won't be the last. By your thinking, if 20 games is the limit we shouldn't re-sign Mitts this offseason because he has not fully melded into Bednar's system with more than 20 games played.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

The thing is, those NHL games with heavily sheltered and limited minutes aren't the only data points we have on these players. They all play heavy minutes on the Eagles, and you can get a much better look at what they have to offer down there. If they aren't impact players at that level, they won't suddenly become impact players a level above. A guy like Olausson who has struggled to score in the AHL isn't going to suddenly figure it out against way better players.

A guy who made it in LOC was a pretty strong top six forward in the AHL by the time he graduated to full-time NHL duties. Ivan, Foudy, and Olausson wish they were as impactful as LOC was for the Eagles.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
No, he missed out on Nuke's locker room Pixie Dust. However, he's not the first player who needs more than 20 games to adapt to the NHL game, and he won't be the last. By your thinking, if 20 games is the limit we shouldn't re-sign Mitts this offseason because he has not fully melded into Bednar's system with more than 20 games played.
You don’t need time in Bednars system to see that Malinski is bad at defense. It probably improves a little with time adjusting to the system, but that doesn’t change the fact that Malinski’s skill set will never be good at defending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad