Around the League

Twinger

Sep 28, 2017
Sooo…

With the McD trade back to Tampa, they have 4.35 mil for about 5 roster spots.

Stamkos to Detroit?! IS IT GOING TO REALLY HAPPEN THIS TIME?!
Marner to Nashville and Stamkos to the leafs

But I think Stamkos will stay in Tampa, I just check and hes not 35 so wont be able for the bonus type contract. I still think he stays. He just had a 3rd kid and seems like he likes Florida. However much stock you put into the taxes debate he did mention it.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I would absolutely love that love. But I’d think Tampa trades Sergachev before Cernak. His defense leaves a lot to be desired.
Tampa is in a weird state right now with their top 4 making over $28M. I honestly think Sergachev's injury hurt them tremendously. His D isn't that bad. His '22-'23 season was stronger than Hedman's seeing similar difficulty in assignments. Sergachev is their Hedman insurance.

Sergachev is the youngest, but most expensive and least refined.
Hedman has the least term, starting to slip but also a legend so how do you move him?
McDonagh they just reacquired presumably to bring stability back, and he's paid fairly.
Cernak, great age, style, contract (AAV and term) and the only RD of the bunch. But the only one without trade protection (until July 1st anyway).

I don't see them going into the season with that group, but stranger things have happened.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He refused to step aside initially for Yzerman, and to dismiss all the bad holland did as "following ownership orders" is a bit reductive.

You mean in 2010? You expect a GM to resign from a winning team?

Seems kind of a weird thing to be pissed off at someone about. Are you gonna retire voluntarily if there's someone that THINKS they can do a job better than you? Let's keep in mind Stevie has not won a Cup yet, and there are multiple questionable contracts on the roster now.

Or is it that as GM you automatically have to give up your job to a superstar player? Should Ovechkin ask for the Caps GM job?

Why even have a GM if all their moves are simply following ownership's orders?
They all have orders from the owner, it's up to GM to implement the plan by picking the players in UFA, trades, and draft. Bad deals happen when forced to pick from the few good players in free agency, just look at Copp as an example.

At this point, I actually want the Oilers to win because I hate the other 3 teams. Oilers win and we get to laugh at all of the Holland haters, lol.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Seems kind of a weird thing to be pissed off at someone about. Are you gonna retire voluntarily if there's someone that THINKS they can do a job better than you? Let's keep in mind Stevie has not won a Cup yet, and there are multiple questionable contracts on the roster now.

Or is it that as GM you automatically have to give up your job to a superstar player? Should Ovechkin ask for the Caps GM job?

They all have orders from the owner, it's up to GM to implement the plan by picking the players in UFA, trades, and draft. Bad deals happen when forced to pick from the few good players in free agency, just look at Copp as an example.

At this point, I actually want the Oilers to win because I hate the other 3 teams. Oilers win and we get to laugh at all of the Holland haters, lol.

oh good lord. That's quite a string of strawmen you've put together there. I guess I should be grateful it's not about Copp.

I don't expect anything. It's not like I or even Yzerman asked Holland to step aside. Ilitch did.
I'm not pissed off about it but if you get off on pretending I'm upset, I don't want to kink shame.

Oh man. Yes of course obviously yes as a GM I think you automatically have to give the job up for any superstar player who feels like they wanna give it a shot regardless of their experience or qualifications or frankly even interest. Yes, OV should automatically get the GM job. Hell they should give it to him now. He can be player GM. You've interpreted what I've said exactly as I so obviously intended it and haven't misrepresented it at all.

(to be clear that last paragraph was sarcasm because the assertions were so stupid I didn't know how else to respond to them)

This all started from me simply stating why I couldn't bring myself too root for the Oilers. Watching people heap praise on Holland as we're here hoping the Wings make the playoffs in the wake of his mess.

My reasons at least involve hockey. You're apparently rooting for a team because it'll upset random Wings fans on the internet (again, not kink shaming). Not exactly the moral or logical high ground.

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022

Dude, He could of gone out as the big prize free agent like Babcock did as opposed to sailing a sinking ship into the reef.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Dude, He could of gone out as the big prize free agent like Babcock did as opposed to sailing a sinking ship into the reef.

you mean sailing a sinking ship into the reef, washing up on a deserted island and hanging out there for a couple weeks, and being put in charge of a new ship with a 22 year old McDavid and 23 year old Draisaitl to build around?

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
you mean sailing a sinking ship into the reef, washing up on a deserted island and hanging out there for a couple weeks, and being put in charge of a new ship with a 22 year old McDavid and 23 year old Draisaitl to build around?

Historic footage of Holland leaving Detroit for Edmonton.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad