Around the league part 2

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Ive got Florida in 6.. EDM has gotten more mentally resilient, so I give them a chance. If Skinner plays like he did in the last 2 v Dallas for sure they can do it. Overall I think guys like Bennet and Tkuchuk will bruise them into submission more than anything else.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
It's interesting, the Oilers are bigger dogs in this series (+115) than they were vs. Dallas (+100), but everyone thought they were going to get curb-stomped by Dallas, and now alot of you seem resigned to the fact that they are going to beat Florida.

Dallas was a bit overrated I think, they are basically a better version of the Kings, kill you with depth, but the lack of that huge difference making player hurt them. Their best players disappeared vs. Edmonton, and depth doesn't mean much if the big names can't do anything.

I am betting on Florida strictly as a hedge because I had the Oilers +750 before the playoffs. But I think it's a coin flip, Edmonton is way better than people thought, especially defensively and with their depth. But Florida is a machine, there is nobody I'd want coaching my team more than Paul Maurice.
I think Hintz is a very good hockey player, but Dallas played a more desperate game without Hintz in the lineup. Dadnov got more minutes and Seguin and Benn were playing together. No fault of Hintz, but once he was put back in the lineup the combinations went back to where they were beforehand, and I think some of the players were looking for Hintz to lead a bit more.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I was always skeptical of Hyman's offensive game, since he never really did much until his senior year in college. He was always a very smart player and worked harder than anyone else. McDavid obviously does boost his production, but in the three years before he went to EDM he had 57 goals in 165 games, which is a 32 goal pace, so it's not like he is some scrub.

He was the perfect for for Edmonton to put on McD's line. It must be nice to have a GM who knows what he is doing.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Crosby lost his first cup final. He ended up winning 3 so far. McDavid has plenty of time to cement his legacy. Hell, even Gretzky lost his first.
I think Crosby Pens were expected to be where they were though. I don't think the Oilers will end up in the SCF potentially. If teams really learn to wrangle their PP then I dont see them ever getting this far again. But hey maybe im wrong.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I think Crosby Pens were expected to be where they were though. I don't think the Oilers will end up in the SCF potentially. If teams really learn to wrangle their PP then I dont see them ever getting this far again. But hey maybe im wrong.
There was a stretch in the second half of the Canucks series and first half of the Dallas series where their PP went cold. Yes, you won’t completely stop it but it can be contained somewhat. The key to me is the Panthers countering with their own PP goals. The Oilers PK is what has gotten them this far, I think.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
The Oilers PP is to good to consistently slow down. You have probably the best player in 30 years (left shot), another Hall of Famer (left shot), arguably the best point shot in the league (right shot), the perfect jack-of-all trades badger (right shot) and a former 1st overall pick (left shot).

It's a very well-oiled machine, lots of skill, lots of balance, more grit than you think.

Reactions: FrozenKing18

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
The Oilers PP is to good to consistently slow down. You have probably the best player in 30 years (left shot), another Hall of Famer (left shot), arguably the best point shot in the league (right shot), the perfect jack-of-all trades badger (right shot) and a former 1st overall pick (left shot).

It's a very well-oiled machine, lots of skill, lots of balance, more grit than you think.
The younger guys have come into their own and provided grit. Previously they just stuffed the cheapest vet talent in the bottom 6 and hoped for the best. I still think their defensive corp is extremely suspect, except for Ekholm.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
No, the real problem is the leadership in this organization is incompetent and far too comfortable. Not moving on from Kopitar and Doughty is just a symptom of that problem.
IMO the problem is a lack of winning. I don’t really care at the end of the day who is there and what they make as long as they win a lot more than they lose.

Reactions: johnjm22

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

And Bouchard is the highest graded player in the entire playoffs by a pretty significant margin.

06052024.jpg

Oilers have 4 of the top 5.

That's really difficult to compete against.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Defense and goaltending win championships and I'll stand by that. I think Florida has both but the Oil have been improving every game lately.

I got Panthers in 7.

There's nothing wrong with criticizing Kopitar or Doughty. I've criticized Kopitar as a #1 center myself.

What I'm talking about is being disrespectful. Shitting on them.
I blocked most of the guys that do that.

I think a lot of the people who call these guys p***yes have never strapped on a pair of skates in their lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21Dog and johnjm22

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
There's nothing wrong with criticizing Kopitar or Doughty. I've criticized Kopitar as a #1 center myself.

What I'm talking about is being disrespectful. Shitting on them.
Did these guys get you a job? If not, who cares whether some other fan “respects” them or doesn’t?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Did these guys get you a job? If not, who cares whether some other fan “respects” them or doesn’t?
This is a stupid argument and you know it.

Being a fan or caring about any of this makes no logical sense.

Who cares about what happens to the Kings? Why are you on a message board posting about them? Did AEG buy you a new car or something? (Please don't answer this question, thanks)

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
This is a stupid argument and you know it.

Being a fan or caring about any of this makes no logical sense.

Who cares about what happens to the Kings? Why are you on a message board posting about them? Did AEG buy you a new car or something? (Please don't answer this question, thanks)
I spend my entertainment dollars on the team, that’s my skin in the game. It’s about the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back. That’s the bottom line logic of any sports fan. You are making excuses to think it is about some immaterial feelings instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad