NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Nobody ever mentions Boucher when they talk about taking the BPA but it's an example that nobody really knows who each team has as the BPA when they go up to pick & in a number of cases the guy they wanted could be gone or they reach because they like a particular player a lot. Every yr at every draft people are amazed at one GM or another for taking a guy too soon, sometimes the GM turns out to be right & more times than not they turn out to be wrong & their swing for the fences is a strike out. It happens at every draft, BPA is in the eye of the beholder. & this upcoming draft seems wide open with all kinds of players ranked all over the place.
Lots of examples to prove your point but Yegor Chinakov on CBJ sums up what you're trying to say perfectly.

Reactions: aragorn

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Lots of examples to prove your point but Yegor Chinakov on CBJ sums up what you're trying to say perfectly.

Detroit drafting Mo Seider also 6 raised a ton of eyebrows as he was rated in the teens - but who doesn’t want a giant RD who wants to be the man on their team?

Reactions: aragorn

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Too many in here are focused on RD when we could easily be going LD or F.

This isn’t the NFL we cannot afford to draft for need and potentially miss out on a better player.

We can’t get cute at this draft and Boucher it up

Yeah this management group needs to grab as close to a sure thing as possible regardless of position. Its gunna take a year or two for whoever they grab at 7 to make the team at least. Can't be drafting based on position, not with that top pick.

Reactions: DJB

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yeah this management group needs to grab as close to a sure thing as possible regardless of position. Its gunna take a year or two for whoever they grab at 7 to make the team at least. Can't be drafting based on position, not with that top pick.
Big strong smart is good. Go with those guys.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Dickinson in a interview said , he think he can play in the nhl this fall and compare him to Heiskanen
He can say that in an interview if asked, I don’t see him saying nah, I’m not ready.

I doubt many are ready, Macklin will play probably.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He can say that in an interview if asked, I don’t see him saying nah, I’m not ready.

I doubt many are ready, Macklin will play probably.
He's been discussed as the most pro ready guy in the draft for a while now, with some suggesting that he'd be able to step right in, so this isn't a unique to him opinion.

It's always more likely than not that a player won't play right out of being drafted, outside of 1OA, but I think of everybody else, he's probably the most likely to play depending on what team he ends up on.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
I would have no problem going for Sennecke at #7. There is some risk, but he has a higher ceiling than Iginla in my opinion. My preference is Yak, but the team could go in multiple different ways.

As been said, there a lot of big athletic D-men in this draft, but many fall way short in skills department and are nowhere near as good as the top 6 at this stage. Even so, I think we should try and grab a couple to to develop over the long-term. However, I wouldn't start strategically reconfiguring my draft board to take a winger early expecting to get a Badinka or Elick with the late first pick. They will probably be gone. I also see no reason why we couldn't a grab a couple of D in the first round

In the Athletic podcast, released today form the combine, they expect a big run on D-man in the top 10 and possibly further.

Due to defensive and durability concerns. I would not be surprised to see Parekh fall out of the top 10. I love the player but he absorbs way too much contact and show a serious lack of commitment to defense.

Reactions: Icelevel

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Too many in here are focused on RD when we could easily be going LD or F.

This isn’t the NFL we cannot afford to draft for need and potentially miss out on a better player.

We can’t get cute at this draft and Boucher it up
There is wide variance on who is better and the RD are comfortably in range of pick 7.

There are about 14 players who could conceivably go top ten. It is all over the place. People who focus on RD may not be feeling the other options at LD or winger.

This isn't a Boucher situation.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Right now my educated guess on who the Sens take is Tij Iginla. He checks so many boxes that we look for;

Compete level
Bloodlines
Goal scoring
Character

He possesses all of these in bunches. I absolutely would not be shocked if we take him if hes on the board.

Two other notes on this, to me Im not too worried about the Habs taking him, they are looking for size at the C position and likely looking at Lindstrom. I also definately think Iginla is a LW at the next level and not a C. Thats ok since we lack LW depth past Brady.

Reactions: Icelevel

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Right now my educated guess on who the Sens take is Tij Iginla. He checks so many boxes that we look for;

Compete level
Bloodlines
Goal scoring
Character

He possesses all of these in bunches. I absolutely would not be shocked if we take him if hes on the board.

Two other notes on this, to me Im not too worried about the Habs taking him, they are looking for size at the C position and likely looking at Lindstrom. I also definately think Iginla is a LW at the next level and not a C. Thats ok since we lack LW depth past Brady.
Would be totally fine with that

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Compete level
Bloodlines
Goal scoring
Character

Which educations

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
I think there are better options at Iginla at 7. I came into the draft cycle loving Iginla and Parekh and have moved off both of them.

I won't be heartbroken if the team goes that route and yell "garbage pick," but it will sting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad