Prospect Info: Zach Benson, LW/C, Wenatchee (WHL), Signed ELC- 2023, 13th Overall

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
It was a nothing year, and he will be a UFA earlier, and we burned a year of entry-level deals -- all because they were too cheap to sign someone on a one-year deal as a gap measure for Quinn. Buffalo is one of the worst-run teams in the league. We may still find success but the amateur hour moves are endless.
He deserved to be on the team and worked his ass off. Sure it would have been nice to have him get stronger with play over seas or AHL (not possible) but going back to junior would not have been the right thing to do.

Reactions: Dingo44

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It was a nothing year, and he will be a UFA earlier, and we burned a year of entry-level deals -- all because they were too cheap to sign someone on a one-year deal as a gap measure for Quinn. Buffalo is one of the worst-run teams in the league. We may still find success but the amateur hour moves are endless.
He didn’t outplay one person, friend. They would have needed, conservatively, seven new forwards for Benson to have not been rightfully in the lineup every night. I’m sorry he was 18. I can see you are having a difficult time with that. He was also, at worst, the fifth best forward on the Sabres this season.

Reactions: Willgamesh

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
GMs stopped caring about burning a year of eligibility years ago. Gets them to a long term contract quicker and cheaper.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
He didn’t outplay one person, friend. They would have needed, conservatively, seven new forwards for Benson to have not been rightfully in the lineup every night. I’m sorry he was 18. I can see you are having a difficult time with that. He was also, at worst, the fifth best forward on the Sabres this season.

It's not about whether he should have been in the lineup but what was the point of it. Call me when he is a UFA at 25. Or when his first RFA deal needs to be signed. Just poor player management. All are driven by incompetent other choices. Why was he better than what we had? I dunno, you spent $7 M on feel good contracts for Okposo/Jost/Girgensons. You wouldn't cut lose Oloffson or take part of his cap hit to bring someone else in. Congrats to the kid but pathetic Sabres are so mismanaged during their 4th rebuild or whatever this one is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad