Shanahan lives in New York?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I'm sure he is 'in the building' quite a lot during the season, he would certainly be in Toronto more than New York.
Most Presidents don't sit at their desk every day anyway or are able to take a meeting because someone knocks on their door.
Seems silly to make all these baseless accusations that he's never available.
Argue that his performance, not where he sleeps a few nights a month.

This has got to be an early contender for thread of the year. :laugh:
It's not baseless. People in the media (Sportsnet) don't just throw things out there like basement dwelling bloggers do.

If you want to know the truth about working with remote coworkers there are 2 truths to it:

1. They are not available, and make themselves unavailable.

2. Because of issue #1, no one treats them as reliable workers, problem solvers, or they work in diminished positions.

For someone who has put his "vision" in place for this team, many of us are bewildered to discover that he spends most of his time in New York.

His work as an executive speaks for itself: playoff futility, half a team to build (this season), a possible re-tooling, a coaching vacancy, a lot of 1st round picks wasted, and a new CEO that has him under his thumb.

Reactions: myleafs

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Slow news day? Muth is scratched from the Preakness, does that speed things up for anyone?

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
So he's in NY not answering his calls?
If he was in Toronto, would he be answering his calls?
I'm no fan of Brendan Shanahan, after all his initials are BS,😗 but this thread is nothing but grasping of angry Leaf fans.

Reactions: Cams and ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If his ex-GM was unable to reach him to approve a time-sensitive blockbuster trade last year because he was in NYC and not answering his calls, then it has affected his performance.
Sure but that could happen anytime, anywhere. He could be in Toronto and out of contact.
You don't expect him to be at a desk 24/7, 365 do you?

Reactions: Cams

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It's not baseless. People in the media (Sportsnet) don't just throw things out there like basement dwelling bloggers do.

If you want to know the truth about working with remote coworkers there are 2 truths to it:

1. They are not available, and make themselves unavailable.

2. Because of issue #1, no one treats them as reliable workers, problem solvers, or they work in diminished positions.

For someone who has put his "vision" in place for this team, many of us are bewildered to discover that he spends most of his time in New York.

His work as an executive speaks for itself: playoff futility, half a team to build (this season), a possible re-tooling, a coaching vacancy, a lot of 1st round picks wasted, and a new CEO that has him under his thumb.
You have no idea how much time he spends anywhere.
He's had two residencies for his entire time here, because you just found out doesn't now make it seem important.

Reactions: CincoHolio and bax

no2ninja

Oct 22, 2023
It's not bad a requirement to make sure that the President of the CLUB lives where the CLUB's head office is located. This is standard for most companies.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
people are angry because they choose a job path that requires them working on premise

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
It news to me but I honestly don't care. What can he do in Toronto that he can't remotely. It's not 1924.

I honestly bet that a lot of team Presidents don't go to games

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Where he lives is a non factor. What he does is.
Forget about the first, be concerned for the other.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I thought this was well known, going back to like his 1st or 2nd year here.

He doesn't live in Toronto. I didn't think it was a big issue, but it's curious to think about how much of the current organizational malaise / country club atmosphere comes from the fact that he's not there daily?

Pretty difficult to establish a standard & culture via zoom meetings and emails, imo

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It's not bad a requirement to make sure that the President of the CLUB lives where the CLUB's head office is located. This is standard for most companies.
None that I've ever done work for.

I thought this was well known, going back to like his 1st or 2nd year here.

He doesn't live in Toronto. I didn't think it was a big issue, but it's curious to think about how much of the current organizational malaise / country club atmosphere comes from the fact that he's not there daily?

Pretty difficult to establish a standard & culture via zoom meetings and emails, imo
Has it ever been mentioned how much time he spends in either city?

Reactions: CincoHolio

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
You have no idea how much time he spends anywhere.
He's had two residencies for his entire time here, because you just found out doesn't now make it seem important.
No. When someone who reports on the leafs sometimes twice daily (morning show and Leafs talk post-game), who has reliable sources says that Shanny "spends most of his time in New York" I tend to believe him. Is it important? Half of us believe that it is.

None that I've ever done work for.

Has it ever been mentioned how much time he spends in either city?
Listen to the podcast.

"Brendon Shanahan spends most of his time in New York".

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
The Leaf Report guys mentioned he spends the majority of his time in New York - pretty sure it was from an episode several years ago now.
Not sure how they would know where his time is spent, all seems pretty much something else to complain about for attention.

So the desire is now that he spend more time here and be more involved?
I thought people didn't want him involved.

(still not seeing what the issue is)

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Shanny is a consultant until Pelley figures out the lay of the land. Pelley can get in touch with him, if needed.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I get that but this isnt commuting from Kitchener to Toronto.....it is a little weird that the president doesnt reside here.
He has a place here.
He could get here quicker by private jet to Billy Bishop than he could driving here from Kitchener.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I mean what really does he have to do... Just be in toronto trade deadline and free agency lol

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
This new and surprising revelation needed it's own thread.

Sure but that could happen anytime, anywhere. He could be in Toronto and out of contact.
You don't expect him to be at a desk 24/7, 365 do you?
I always assumed he had a pouch, and Dubas was carried around in it like a young Joey.

I mean. How else would they stay in contact?

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Where he lives is a non factor. What he does is.
Forget about the first, be concerned for the other.

Its a stupid position. President is the GM in this case. He works probably least of anyone in the organization and has been hiding behind 4GMs now while selling blue skies.

Hey MLSE you bought the blue skies and are swimming in Snake Oil while on the Shanatrain to nowhere. There is no better time to get off before it all crashes.

Another stupid Canadian run business that would be broke without Zombie Nation and public funding. The grift is good bb

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Confirmed with link to podcast:

"Shanahan spends a lot of his time living in New York. He's not here as often as some people think. There have been reports of difficulty getting a hold of him at times in order to get moves done. He's vetoed some moves" JD Bunkis SPORTSNET FAN 590

What? You're telling me he's been f***ing running the TML from another country? What the f us wrong with this organization?! Yes I know you can do some jobs remotely, but TML President is being done out of town?!!!

This is not going to sit well at all!!

Listen to 1:19:00 into the show.
As I said, working for the Leafs is like working in government in Canada.

Good for him. Extra layers of management are cut all the time in corporations, but in government...

Reactions: thewave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad