Player Discussion: Winnipeg Jets Defense

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
was thinking given all the talks about the Jets' Defensive turnover with Demelo and Dillon as UFAs, or buy-outs..... how much the 2019 offseason may be given the Jets flashbacks. with Myers and Chiarot as UFA and the Trouba trade, the Jets were pretty ill-prepared for replacements. then add the Buff fiasco on top of that.

maybe the Jets would like to keep some of that continuity and go hard at re-signing both Demelo & Dillon :dunno:? and avoid being a position where you're basically rebuilding your top-4.
Re-upping Dillon works, provided that one of Pionk and Schmidt is shipped out. I don't think the cap numbers allow us to keep him without dumping someone with a high cap hit. It's also not the worst decision in its own right, although Dillon screams overpayment to me.

DeMelo is the one you overpay without second thought. That much should be clear.

Reactions: Heldig

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Re-upping Dillon works, provided that one of Pionk and Schmidt is shipped out. I don't think the cap numbers allow us to keep him without dumping someone with a high cap hit. It's also not the worst decision in its own right, although Dillon screams overpayment to me.

DeMelo is the one you overpay without second thought. That much should be clear.
EvolvingHockey - who are usually pretty close - have him at 2*2.45m, Demelo 4*4.8m.

I think they're a tad high on demelo and tad low on dillon. Would have to see how that fits for next year.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
was thinking given all the talks about the Jets' Defensive turnover with Demelo and Dillon as UFAs, or buy-out of Schmidt..... how much the 2019 offseason may be given the Jets flashbacks. with Myers and Chiarot as UFA and the Trouba trade, the Jets were pretty ill-prepared for replacements. then add the Buff fiasco on top of that.

maybe the Jets would like to keep some of that continuity and go hard at re-signing both Demelo & Dillon :dunno:? and avoid being a position where you're basically rebuilding your top-4.
Buff was the killer ... losing him was one of the reasons the Jets over paid for Pionk and Schmidt plus the pandemic season didn't help playing in the Canadian division making Pionk look good.
Jets need a top 4 RHD (Trade or FA) for sure if they can't and they resign Demelo and Dillon for bigger contracts nothing will change.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
EvolvingHockey - who are usually pretty close - have him at 2*2.45m, Demelo 4*4.8m.

I think they're a tad high on demelo and tad low on dillon. Would have to see how that fits for next year.
"Tad low" on Dillon should be a gross understatement, as we've seen a nunber of #7Ds get 3x3 on July 1st in recent years. I find it pretty difficult to imagine Dillon taking a pay cut. As for Dylan, that number could be pretty close.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
"Tad low" on Dillon should be a gross understatement, as we've seen a nunber of #7Ds get 3x3 on July 1st in recent years. I find it pretty difficult to imagine Dillon taking a pay cut. As for Dylan, that number could be pretty close.
2.45m vs 3m, idk how that is a gross understatement but ok.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I don't think 3 is enough. I see him getting closer to 4. Was a little unclear on that.
Agreed. Dillon can easily get $4M x 3 on open market. At his age, it might be best to move on, but he's not easily replaced. DeMelo is likely $4.5M for 4-5 years or a bit more with less term.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
At the start of next year:

Morrissey- 29 yo
DeMelo (R)- 31 yo, UFA
Pionk (R)- 29 yo, 1 yr UFA
Dillon- 33 yo (34 in Nov), UFA
Schimdt- 33 yo, 1 yr UFA
Samberg- 25 yo, 1 yr RFA
Stanley- 26 yo, RFA

Heinola- 23 yo, RFA
Salomonsson (R)- 20 yo

I’d like the Jets to:

- resign DeMelo to 3-4 yr contract @ $4M aav
- buyout Schimdt
- let Dillon walk (age, more so than performance)
- trade for a 24-28 yo top 4 dman, with some contract term, using Ehlers and prospect(s)
- add another dman in FA, and
- draft 1-2 dmen (early) in the upcoming draft, preferably a RH and LH d. Someone early like Elick or EJ Emery.

Morrissey-DeMelo/Trade
Samberg-Trade/DeMelo
FA-Heinola-Pionk (for one more yr max)
Stanley (if resigns)

Salomonsson hopefully replaces Pionk on 3rd pairing after a year with Moose. Draft pick(s) ideally replace DeMelo and FA in 3+ yrs.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Offseason I'd like to see the Jets re-sign De Melo but also trade Nik for a top pairing d-man. Maybe replace Dillon with a guy like Forbort who is good on the PK, has some size, comes cheap and short term, and someone who might actually sign here, as he has before.

Morrissey-D2
Samberg-De Melo (shut down)
Forbort/Heinola-Pionk
Lundmark as #8.

Reactions: Dale53130

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Offseason I'd like to see the Jets re-sign De Melo but also trade Nik for a top pairing d-man. Maybe replace Dillon with a guy like Forbort who is good on the PK, has some size, comes cheap and short term, and someone who might actually sign here, as he has before.

Morrissey-D2
Samberg-De Melo (shut down)
Forbort/Heinola-Pionk
Lundmark as #8.
A top pairing D Man is worth a lot more than a Nik.

Reactions: TS Quint

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Jets drafting D men is a waste if they are not going to put them in the lineup ... losing them on waivers like Chisholm and Kovacevic makes no sense.
I'm not saying Chisholm and Kovacevic are the answer but the Jets would be a better team with those 2 instead of Schmidt and Pionk just saving $10M on the salary cap. Imagine what player(s) the Jets could sign for $10M.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets drafting D men is a waste if they are not going to pull them in the lineup ... losing them on waivers like Chisholm and Kovacevic makes no sense.
I'm not saying Chisholm and Kovacevic are the answer but the Jets would be a better team with those 2 instead of Schmidt and Pionk just saving $10M on the salary cap. Imagine what player(s) the Jets could sign for $10M.
Are you sure about that? Kovy was a healthy scratch at times on arguably the worst defense in the NHL. While both over paid Pionk and Schmidt played on the Jennings trophy winning team with strong defensive metrics, at least in the regular season. If either made less than $1M they would be seen as steals.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Are you sure about that? Kovy was a healthy scratch at times on arguably the worst defense in the NHL. While both over paid Pionk and Schmidt played on the Jennings trophy winning team with strong defensive metrics, at least in the regular season. If either made less than $1M they would be seen as steals.
If a team ices arguably the worst defense in the NHL, that team's ability to make the correct roster decisions absolutely needs to be questioned. Why are they stuck with the worst defense, and more importantly, what are they (not) doing to address the issue? You don't know about Kovacevic yet - for f***'s sake, try it out. Your defense is already the worst in the league, it cannot get much worse. But no.

That's the Jets' story in a nutshell. Everyone's happy to stick with the status quo, because they'd rather be bad than wrong. Being wrong can cost you your job, but here, being bad doesn't affect a thing (unless you're a prospect playing one of your five games you're given before the AHL purgatory continues, that is).

I see too many posters here get hyped about Heinola next year. Far too many.

Reactions: Bigfish

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Schmidt was a healthy scratch too. I never said Kovy and Chisholm were the answer ... drafting, not playing and losing them on waivers is a problem.
Good goalies and forwards playing defensive structure was the main reason for the Jennings ... the Jets defense got exposed in the playoffs and ST.
Seriously Morrissey is the only top 4 D-man on the roster.
I know you can't fix everything in one year. The Jets made big strides from last year hopefully this year they fix the defense and special teams especially the PK.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
If a team ices arguably the worst defense in the NHL, that team's ability to make the correct roster decisions absolutely needs to be questioned. Why are they stuck with the worst defense, and more importantly, what are they (not) doing to address the issue? You don't know about Kovacevic yet - for f***'s sake, try it out. Your defense is already the worst in the league, it cannot get much worse. But no.

That's the Jets' story in a nutshell. Everyone's happy to stick with the status quo, because they'd rather be bad than wrong. Being wrong can cost you your job, but here, being bad doesn't affect a thing (unless you're a prospect playing one of your five games you're given before the AHL purgatory continues, that is).

I see too many posters here get hyped about Heinola next year. Far too many.
because they are in a rebuild? they are drafting them? I mean these are very simple questions to answer lol...

they don't know what they have in kovacevic? he's played 139 games for them but I guess you know more then them... there defense was one of the worst with him in those 139 games also

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I legit thought Miller was a great option for the Jets but there's no way he signs here after sitting out the last 1/4 of the season... that was fkn bizarre.

I fully expect Dillon gone and Heinola as our 3rd pairing LHD and that's it.

Chevy will say that Schmidt finished strong and looked good in the playoffs and that off ice issues affected Pionk... both are 'great guys in the room'

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
because they are in a rebuild? they are drafting them? I mean these are very simple questions to answer lol...

they don't know what they have in kovacevic? he's played 139 games for them but I guess you know more then them... there defense was one of the worst with him in those 139 games also
If I was a betting man I'd say there is a decent chance the Jets could reclaim Kovacevic on waivers next year out of TC...don't think he'll get a lot of rope from Marty St. Louis. At this point I'm more intrigued to see if Simon Lundmark can make the next step. Fundamentally I think he's got the potential to be a better defenseman than Kovacevic

Reactions: Roughneck1

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Maybe it's the people they have playing defence for them. Kovacevic is also at least 3 years older than the guys they're looking to give experience to so I'd think they've (correctly) identified that Kovacevic is what he is at this point in his career at 26 years old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad