What in the heck is wrong with Elias Pettersson?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Complete BS take. Hoglander and Mikheyev are driving the play more than Pettersson? Nonsense. Henrik Sedin played about 19 games without Daniel that year, and he had Burrows (who had 67 points that season) on his line. That is literally the same amount of points as Hoglander and Mikheyev had combined this season. Hoglander and Mikheyev have been complete ghosts in the playoffs so far. The puck dies on their sticks every shift. Hoglander couldn't finish a dime set up from Pettersosn the other night. Btw, Your idea that Hoglander might be better off playing on the 4th line than with an 89 point playmaking center is quite funny. Pettersson's slump has brought out some of the dumbest takes.
Point taken regarding Sedin's linemates still having a Burrows, although Burrows was nowhere close to a 67 point forward without the luxury of playing with two Sedins. He's always been more of a 45-55 point guy who skyrocketed when with the twins.

In the playoffs, I agree, Hoglander and Mikheyev's play has fallen off a cliff, but they were driving the play in the regular season while Pettersson was playing passive (to a lesser degree Mikheyev, who was very inconsistent-- one day he'd drive the play, the next day he'd be even more passive than Pettersson). Currently, all three are playing poorly and there is no play-driver, period.

The Hoglander point was not even an opinion/take about his play, it's a statement of fact. He didn't join the Pettersson line until some point midway through the season (don't recall the exact date), and his most frequent regular linemates were Lafferty and Aman getting limited minutes on the fourth line up until that point. His totals in that first half (mostly if not entirely without Pettersson): 12 goals, 17 points, +11 in 39 games, which is a 25 goal, 36 point, +23 pace, nearly identical to his final pace.

Playing with Pettersson did not remotely contribute to his offensive break-out, I'm not sure how that can even be disputed. In fact, placing him on Pettersson's line was an attempt to get Pettersson going again. The fact that playing with Pettersson's 89 points didn't remotely improve Hoglander's numbers is very telling.

Edit: Also, during that second half where they played a lot more together, Hoglander's even strength production was very comparable to Pettersson (12g 19p vs. 7g 22p), so it really shouldn't be all that unfathomable that the former was the offensive playdriver on the line (not that point totals necessarily correlate with play-driving in the first place).

Last edited:
Reactions: Regal

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Many underestimate Kuzmenko, and the work he did on that line last year. Much of the puck protection, and cycle game, started with Kuz behind the net or along the boards.
lets say in hindsight. van doesnt make the lindholm trade they make another deal for a centerman say monahan for example. and kuzy is still on the team would vancouver still have problems scoring goals? i dont think so.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I do think Pettersson needs to improve for sure, but him putting up more weight might hurt him more than help. I honestly think a femboy like body suits his style a lot more. He's not going to be a power forward or anything like that.

He's constantly getting pushed off the puck. Spends an inordinate amount of time down on the ice. I might agree with you if his game was built on speed but it isn't, he's a cerebral playmaker. A power forward obviously not but especially as you age you lose explosiveness. Guys like Backstrom and H Sedin weren't fast but they remained effective through their prime by having some mass and being able to win battles in the corner and hang onto pucks.

As much as fans love the flash dash speed through the NZ and handles coming across the blueline and bar down snipes this league is won and lost on the boards and down low. You need strength and you need to be hard to move playing center.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I would just call him a hidden resource. Thats nice to have. Better then wasted resource like we on the Leafs.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
And i thought Leffans was asshats against there own players. And that is on a team that is winning! haha. Guess you won over us there too.

If not this playoffs then in the future EP will shut those critics. If healthy with good supporting players he is a great playoffplayer.

And dont bring up +- ever in a argument about one player in 4 games. It says nothing on its own about the individual.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Another game where the team really needs him to show up, and zero production from him again.

What's new?

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
Actually Nathan MacKinnon did something similar and it worked out well for him.

Pettersson Should try something similar.​

That and completely cleaned up his diet. Mack gets a lot of chirps for the chick pea stuff but he turned into a powerhouse once dialing in his diet and mental part of the game. The dude had sports psychologist and still has a personal chef/dietitian travel with him on the road and spends well well into the six figures to employee them full time.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think this is just part of the package with Pettersson. When he's at his best, he looks like one of the best centers in the league and when things aren't going well, he looks like a shell.

It's not the first time we have seen that kind of extended lull in his play but the difference now is that he's got the big contract and the team itself has higher expectations so his lulls will have more scrutiny.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
He's constantly getting pushed off the puck. Spends an inordinate amount of time down on the ice. I might agree with you if his game was built on speed but it isn't, he's a cerebral playmaker. A power forward obviously not but especially as you age you lose explosiveness. Guys like Backstrom and H Sedin weren't fast but they remained effective through their prime by having some mass and being able to win battles in the corner and hang onto pucks.

As much as fans love the flash dash speed through the NZ and handles coming across the blueline and bar down snipes this league is won and lost on the boards and down low. You need strength and you need to be hard to move playing center.
He is a cerebral playmaker that has a freakishly heavy shot. One that he is starting to use again the last few games as he's recovering from it. I just feel he is going through what Henrik Sedin went through before he turned 26, which is not being strong enough to stay on his feet come playoff time when everyone is going full tilt. To get to that stage you have to be disciplined in the off season, which he is, he needs to keep growing stronger to use his smarts, he is not close to reaching his ceiling.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Guy's hella talented but seems to struggle with the spotlight. Not everyone is an extroverted attention whore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad