What do you want from the Jackets' next GM?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Says he doesn't get the feeling CBJ is close to making a GM decision. Mentions he believes team has talked with Bergevin & Botterill. Mostly under impression team is still waiting to talk to people. Mentions EDM as a team that CBJ may be waiting on to finish playing. No mention at all of Vincent's job.
Thanks. My fault on assuming it was about Pv. It was in a group of coach openings.

Reactions: MAHJ71

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Bergevin was a complete mixed bag at Montreal. Dunno how I'd feel about that

I have no memories on his trades/picks, but if the new GM is supposed to fix things, then hiring Ex-Sabres GM would be pretty questionable. Would require some seriously good explanations on why he didnt fix anything in Buffalo, but will do so here.

At least Chiarelli hasnt been mentioned yet

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

I do think these may be the three prime candidates, and if this is the case my order is

1. Macfarland
2. Holland
3. Hunter

Holland may be older but he does know how to set standards.

Reactions: Indy18 and Seedtype

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
He's also not been able to take care of goaltending issues. Secondary scoring isn't very good either.

McDavid and Draisatl may have wasted the prime of their careers in terms of winning the Stanley Cup. If the Oilers don't win it all this year, then Holland shouldn't warrant any consideration. Getting to the second round with McDrai isn't a resume builder. Or at least it shouldn't be.

Reactions: CannonFire1

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
He's also not been able to take care of goaltending issues. Secondary scoring isn't very good either.

McDavid and Draisatl may have wasted the prime of their careers in terms of winning the Stanley Cup. If the Oilers don't win it all this year, then Holland shouldn't warrant any consideration. Getting to the second round with McDrai isn't a resume builder. Or at least it shouldn't be.
Well, it’s not been due to lack of trying. On both issues, sometimes what’s available limits how you can address it though.

The biggest eye sore to hollands tenure in Edmonton (other than the goalies as you mentioned) is that Darnell Nurse contract. Hes done pretty well there and has done well with his coaching decisions.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

I do think these may be the three prime candidates, and if this is the case my order is

1. Macfarland
2. Holland
3. Hunter

Reinforces my take that anyone who responds to a topic they don't want to talk about any more with "go outside" or "touch grass" is a complete and total dick, or at least employing a dick move. I want to create a thing that automatically posts "you're a dick" any time that phraseology appears.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Maybe this should be its own thread but it fits here so:

How long will it/should it/ you think it will take the new GM to make the Jackets a serious contender for the Cup.

I'm guessing five years (I hope I live that long). It may take a few more in reality.

It will take years to re-balance the roster/prospect pool from a wing heavy one to a more balanced one.

Same with the current roster.

Need to upgrade goalie position after determining what he has currently.

Need to improve toughness/physicality and develop playoff experience.

Given that his first year will be handicapped by his late start I don't expect year one to produce major changes. Maybe an Elvis buyout/trade and dumping Provorov at the TDL. Other than that i don't know.

Reactions: koteka

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Reinforces my take that anyone whop responds to a topic they don't want to talk about any more with "go outside" or "touch grass" is a complete and total dick, or at least employing a dick move. I want to create a thing that automatically posts "you're a dick" any time that phraseology appears.
I read his Tweet on my phone while sitting outside. So... not sure what to do now.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Well, it’s not been due to lack of trying. On both issues, sometimes what’s available limits how you can address it though.

The biggest eye sore to hollands tenure in Edmonton (other than the goalies as you mentioned) is that Darnell Nurse contract. Hes done pretty well there and has done well with his coaching decisions.
He also swung and missed on Connor Brown. Brown's deal is structured so that most of the cap hit occurs next year.

It could be reasonably argued that Holloway and Foegle are decent secondary scorers. I liked the Kane acquisition (for nothing) and agree that he has attempted fairly aggressively to solve the secondary scoring issues under some fairly severe cap restraints. I just need to see the production from these acquisitions during the playoffs this year for me to consider him a good GM choice. The proof will be in this year's pudding for me regarding KH.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
ken holland isn't the most inspiring option (macfarland as POHO + an up-and-comer like tulsky or castonguay as GM would be the easier sell imo) but he's far better than bergevin imo.

I'm probably somewhere in the middle with hunter. whatever JD sees in him, I don't, but I also don't share the same level of concern with most of this board. for whatever it's worth, he's done a good job building a winning culture in london and imo culture is a bigger issue with this org than talent at the moment.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
ken holland isn't the most inspiring option (macfarland as POHO + an up-and-comer like tulsky or castonguay as GM would be the easier sell imo) but he's far better than bergevin imo.

I'm probably somewhere in the middle with hunter. whatever JD sees in him, I don't, but I also don't share the same level of concern with most of this board. for whatever it's worth, he's done a good job building a winning culture in london and imo culture is a bigger issue with this org than talent at the moment.
I could live with Hunter. I won't be thrilled by it, but I can get behind it for exactly your reason there about London.

Holland, though? After what he did to the Wings, and how he's failed to accomplish anything with McDavid and Draisaitl? Absolutely not. I'd almost rather have Bergevin if it weren't for the Chicago tarnish.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

1. Macfarland
2. Holland
3. Hunter

None of these guys excite me though McFarland probably should except I think the heavy lifting was done by Sakic. Thus I’m probably more about taking a guy like Darche - someone on the projected rise but currently in a position where GM is the next logical step.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
None of these guys excite me though McFarland probably should except I think the heavy lifting was done by Sakic. Thus I’m probably more about taking a guy like Darche - someone on the projected rise but currently in a position where GM is the next logical step.
I agree, however, I have a feeling CBJ is going to go attempt to poach someone from another team that has had recent success...and then they can turn around and promote him to the public as they went an grabbed a proven winner and help sell the hire based on whatever their team has done recently.

I just can't seem them hiring a second up and comer and the whiffing...

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
I wouldnt hesitate to hire a qualified female GM. My conspiracy side predicts that Columbus would have remarkable "luck" in the draft lottery if they did. Unfortunately, as long as JD is deciding, they are more likely to get some dinosaur looking for a last chance to redeem himself.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I wouldnt hesitate to hire a qualified female GM. My conspiracy side predicts that Columbus would have remarkable "luck" in the draft lottery if they did. Unfortunately, as long as JD is deciding, they are more likely to get some dinosaur looking for a last chance to redeem himself.
I don't think there's any females with enough NHL management experience to actually compete with the likes of Bergevin, MacFarland, Hunter.

Emilie Castonguay and Kate Madigan are the ones I know of, but I imagine theyre still some years away from being real candidates for the job. Even if JD wanted a fresh name, there's a long line to pick from ahead of those two. NHL teams keep rotating the same GMs around, so theres a lot of people with like 10 years of NHL experience just waiting for their chance.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't think there's any females with enough NHL management experience to actually compete with the likes of Bergevin, MacFarland, Hunter.

Emilie Castonguay and Kate Madigan are the ones I know of, but I imagine theyre still some years away from being real candidates for the job. Even if JD wanted a fresh name, there's a long line to pick from ahead of those two. NHL teams keep rotating the same GMs around, so theres a lot of people with like 10 years of NHL experience just waiting for their chance.
Castonguay was interviewed by Philly last year for the POHO I believe it was, don't know if she declined or if she was ever offered but she told Vancouver she had no desire to leave.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad