Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
This isn't shinny.

The Canucks are clearly the more defensively sound and structured team.

The Oilers are look like the Boudreu Canucks out there. And Woody tried to get them to learn how to play a defensive system and get got fired fot it.

Strange take.

recxk6ai4p0d1.png

Literally the Oilers have the best defensive results of any team left in the playoffs.

Reactions: soothsayer

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Jake Ottinger let in a couple Skinner level goals today. That's strange. I was told by haughty fans that the Avs Stars series was on a whole other level.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
I can't believe the Oilers are undecided on a goalie for Game 5. Who the hell runs that team?
They know. It's just the way hockey is. We will all know when someone is injured with a obvious injury and they just say upper body. Coaches in hockey try to be super secretive even about the most obvious stuff.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
His .ppg went up from the regular season to the playoffs. 11 points in 9 games in playoffs and 77 points in 80 playoff games. 3 points in 4 games against Vancouver. Been quiet last 2 though but he seems to be consistent with his regular season.

you a hasek guy or are you a jagr guy? in my imagination every Czech boy and girl needs to declare their particular allegiance

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
They did get to play LA who doesn't have much Offense. And Canucks are very opportunistic .

I mean, sure I guess. The King's did generate more scoring chances and high danger scoring chances than the canucks have, though.

And it's also worth noting - the Oilers led both of those categories during the regular season as well. And the Canucks and the Kings both were top 10 league wide in scoring chance generation in the regular season. So it's pretty reasonable to assume the Oilers atleast deserve a little credit. Unless for some reason you would like to just say it's all Vancouver playing terribly.

Skinner has a 10-9 career record in the playoffs. It's 9-2 when he put up a .850 sv% or better.
How many starting goaltenders have been chased from the net in the playoffs according to naturalstatrick?

Lol I'll just refer you to Frank's stats. Skinner being bad doesn't mean the Oilers defense is bad.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
I mean, sure I guess. The King's did generate more scoring chances and high danger scoring chances than the canucks have, though.

And it's also worth noting - the Oilers led both of those categories during the regular season as well. And the Canucks and the Kings both were top 10 league wide in scoring chance generation in the regular season. So it's pretty reasonable to assume the Oilers atleast deserve a little credit. Unless for some reason you would like to just say it's all Vancouver playing terribly.

Lol I'll just refer you to Frank's stats. Skinner being bad doesn't mean the Oilers defense is bad.
Oilers really only played well last game defensively. I'll give them credit. But like I said. Vancouver is a team that is very opportunistic . We don't always generate a lot but we seem to capitalize .

And yea you can blame your defense just as much as you can blame Skinner. Game 3 Dria just skates past his man Brock and leaves him wide open which leads to a goal. Foegle was a nice guy and just gave us the puck. Nurse has no idea how to stay out of the box.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Oilers really only played well last game defensively. I'll give them credit. But like I said. Vancouver is a team that is very opportunistic . We don't always generate a lot but we seem to capitalize .

And yea you can blame your defense just as much as you can blame Skinner. Game 3 Dria just skates past his man Brock and leaves him wide open which leads to a goal. Foegle was a nice guy and just gave us the puck. Nurse has no idea how to stay out of the box.

Not really - this is the playoffs. Teams are going to get chances.

Literally in game 3 when asked about the heroic mano a mano save he made on Draisaitl, Silovs had to clarify whether it was the 3 breakaways, the turnover that led to an open look in the slot, or the 4 two on one's Draisaitl had that the reporter was curious about...

Meanwhile Skinner let in all 3 open looks the Canucks had all game. Also keep in mind Draisaitl is a more opportunistic player than anyone on the Canucks roster and has scored 50 goals 5 separate times and has 6 100 point seasons... Meanwhile Boeser has one 40 goal season.

So given that all three of those things are true; the Oilers played better defensively.

Keep in mind - scoring chances for the series are 129 to 75 for Edmonton, with high danger scoring chances being 51 to 22. Expected goals are 13.9 to 7.8 for Edmonton. Yet actual goals are 14 to 14.

Both the eye test and the advanced stats say - Skinner is f***ing garbage. And that's confirmed by 17 prior playoffs games where he was also still the worst playoffs goaltender since Dan Cloutier.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

Literally in game 3 when asked about the heroic mano a mano save he made on Draisaitl, Silovs had to clarify whether it was the 3 breakaways, the turnover that led to an open look in the slot, or the 4 two on one's Draisaitl had that the reporter was curious about...

Meanwhile Skinner let in all 3 open looks the Canucks had all game. Also keep in mind Draisaitl is a more opportunistic player than anyone on the Canucks roster and has scored 50 goals 5 separate times and has 6 100 point seasons... Meanwhile Boeser has one 40 goal season.

So given that all three of those things are true; the Oilers played better defensively.

Keep in mind - scoring chances for the series are 129 to 75 for Edmonton, with high danger scoring chances being 51 to 22. Expected goals are 13.9 to 7.8 for Edmonton. Yet actual goals are 14 to 14.

Both the eye test and the advanced stats say - Skinner is f***ing garbage. And that's confirmed by 17 prior playoffs games where he was also still the worst playoffs goaltender since Dan Cloutier.
Canuck fans should know best how shit Cloutier was too

and Skinner is worse and it’s 2-2

Reactions: iCanada

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada

Why are you comparing Brock and Divestiatl? We are speaking about teams. Nor do i know why you are bringing up scoring chances. Matter of the fact is alot of our goals come from your teams defensive break downs. Bring out what ever stat you want it doesn't change anything.

My eye test tells me the Oilers are not a good defensive team. They make up for that with a strong offense. Just go look at the series vs Calgary. That was a masterclass of f*** it just score.

Canuck fans should know best how shit Cloutier was too

and Skinner is worse and it’s 2-2
Cloutier got scored on from Centre ice. Worse than anything Skinner has done.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
you a hasek guy or are you a jagr guy? in my imagination every Czech boy and girl needs to declare their particular allegiance
Is 'yes' an appropriate answer here?lol I love them both. If I had to choose I'd say Jagr. Hemsky is right up there too tbh! Not that I think he was on their level of course. Havlat, Slegr, Straka and Kaberle also all rank really high with me. Loved David Vyborny too!

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Is 'yes' an appropriate answer here?lol I love them both. If I had to choose I'd say Jagr. Hemsky is right up there too tbh! Not that I think he was on their level of course. Havlat, Slegr, Straka and Kaberle also all rank really high with me. Loved David Vyborny too!
Jiri Slegr!

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Some Nucks in him.. Jiri Bubla was his Dad. But they were estranged and didn't talk. No idea if that ever got cleared up though.
For whatever random reason, I loved Slegr as a kid lol, everytime I'd watch him shoot a bomb from the point and miss, I'd be like oooh that Woulda killed the goalie if it landed haha

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
For whatever random reason, I loved Slegr as a kid lol, everytime I'd watch him shoot a bomb from the point and miss, I'd be like oooh that Woulda killed the goalie if it landed haha
Triple Gold Club too.. very rare air for Czech players.

Reactions: rea

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I think edmomton has been the better team, with that said I don't think we have even seen any where near the best of either team. One of these games a team is gonna run away with the game and not look back.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I'd argue third...

McD
Drai
Bouch
Hyman
RNH

Kane

Good point on Hughes... I do think Hughes is better ftr.

Really eh? I would've thought

McD, Drai, Ekholm, Hyman, Bouchard

But your closer to the team than me obviously so I'll leave it to you. Surprised Ekholm didn't make your list I think he's been a fantastic addition for the Oilers.

Reactions: zar

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Really eh? I would've thought

McD, Drai, Ekholm, Hyman, Bouchard

But your closer to the team than me obviously so I'll leave it to you. Surprised Ekholm didn't make your list I think he's been a fantastic addition for the Oilers.
For me, I would go with your order of top 5. There is no way Bouchard is half the Dman he is today without Ekholm… Ek is a beast.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
People keep stating that as if he isn’t the one keeping it close. Sounds like just another pre-emptive excuse.

He’s played as a bonafide starter this series.
Silovs has surprised and impressed for sure rising to the occasion, but a big part is how the defence and team d have performed in front of him.

Much more conservative defensively than if Demko were in net. Don’t take as many risks offensively either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad