Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Nice try putting pressure on Edmonton lol. The Canucks were the #1 seed and whooped the Oilers all year. They should be the favourites

Regardless, it has a good series with incredible moments and heartbreaks for both sides
It's not about me putting pressure on Edmonton. No Oiler is going to read my post, and if they did they wouldn't give a shit.

I'm talking facts, at least given the best of my knowledge.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
It's not about me putting pressure on Edmonton. No Oiler is going to read my post, and if they did they wouldn't give a shit.

I'm talking facts, at least given the best of my knowledge.
It’s not facts. The actual facts is that Vancouver was the #1 seed and swept the Oilers in the regular season. They beat them so bad in Game 1, it got the team spiraling for months and the coach fired.

Vancouver has bullied the Oilers all year. I think saying Edmonton is the favourite is just a reason to bash the Oilers more if they lose and to diminish their accomplish if they win.

Reactions: The Moose

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
The Canucks aren't going to play run & gun with Connor McDavid. Especially not when he & Leon are on the ice together. Its no shock to anyone that the Oilers carry possession in those minutes (which most games has been 1/2 the game).

But the Canucks have done a good job containing them all things considered. Connor went without a shot in a playoff game for the first time ever, and 5v5 production has been relatively limited.

Oilers being able to tilt the ice in those minutes is not a surprise, nor an indication that the Oilers with them not on the ice have been the better team overall.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Nice try putting pressure on Edmonton lol. The Canucks were the #1 seed and whooped the Oilers all year. They should be the favourites

Regardless, it has a good series with incredible moments and heartbreaks for both sides

The Canucks may have done the Oilers a favour by whooping Skinner’s ass. He and Woodcroft were our biggest limitations last playoffs. Pickard is a man on a mission for redemption right now
You’re responding to an ardent Jim Benning supporter. Good luck LOL

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
It’s not facts. The actual facts is that Vancouver was the #1 seed and swept the Oilers in the regular season. They beat them so bad in Game 1, it got the team spiraling for months and the coach fired.

Vancouver has bullied the Oilers all year. I think saying Edmonton is the favourite is just a reason to bash the Oilers more if they lose and to diminish their accomplish if they win.

Edmonton was projected to win by 23/24 ESPN experts. And many predicted in 4 or 5. I don't think its about diminishing or bashing EDM.

Edmonton was definitely the favourite coming in, and I also think they should've been, but I do agree that more credit should've been given to Vancouver.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Edmonton was projected to win by 23/24 ESPN experts. And many predicted in 4 or 5. I don't think its about diminishing or bashing EDM.

Edmonton was definitely the favourite coming in, and I also think they should've been, but I do agree that more credit should've been given to Vancouver.
I stopped reading when you typed “ESPN experts” to be completely honest with you

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Oilers have mostly been the better team so far, particularly last night they were much more committed to winning board battles.

That said, I don't think we've seen the best from Vancouver yet. The fact that this series is tied despite their 2C disappearing and their Starter being out is pretty remarkable.

Should be a pretty dicey finish, whichever way it goes.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
The Canucks aren't going to play run & gun with Connor McDavid. Especially not when he & Leon are on the ice together. Its no shock to anyone that the Oilers carry possession in those minutes (which most games has been 1/2 the game).

But the Canucks have done a good job containing them all things considered. Connor went without a shot in a playoff game for the first time ever, and 5v5 production has been relatively limited.

Oilers being able to tilt the ice in those minutes is not a surprise, nor an indication that the Oilers with them not on the ice have been the better team overall.
Draisaitl has 10 points in 4 games.
I guess that would be considered containing. Lol

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
That's not what the high dangers or zone time shows. The Canucks dominated all of the first game. They were over 70% on the deserve to win o meter

There are many games this pos season which the Oilers "didn't deserve to win" simply because their PP was better than 20%.

And it makes a lot of sense, if your PP is way better than that, you have no bussiness winning.

The biggest issue with hockey analytics and numbers like this is the fact that the fans don't understand what they mean.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
4 powerplay points. Do schools in Alberta not teach reading comprehension?
You said that they contained them.

But it is unclear what you are trying to say. That the Canucks contained Draisaitl to 6 ESP in 4 games (1.5 ESP per game)? Or that they contained Draisaitl to one powerpoint per game?

Those rates are not containing. Over a full season there is only one player in NHL history to avreage 1 ESP/game over a full season. And there is also only one player (a different one!) averaging one ppp/game over a full season.

It would be completely unrealistical to expect that Draisaitl keeps puting up those numbers, but this again emphasizes that he puts up amazing "contained" numbers.

Bernie Federko

Jun 29, 2018
Saros had a SV% of 0.906 vs Skinner's 0.905, so I'll give you that (even if it's basically a saw-off).
Saros' GAA was 2.86 vs. Skinner's 2.62

The point remains, Saros ranked 32nd for SV% and GAA amongst all goalies who played at least 10 games. A worldbeater he was not.
Thank you. Nashville misses their Pekker.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
The banter back and fourth is just getting tiring now. Neither team has looked good and won a game in convincing fashion, every game has been fairly close with both sides looking convincing in different areas. It’s a 2-2 series and any way you look at these 4 games it’s still going to be a 2-2 series. I don’t think either team has lost a game they deserved to win.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
The banter back and fourth is just getting tiring now. Neither team has looked good and won a game in convincing fashion, every game has been fairly close with both sides looking convincing in different areas. It’s a 2-2 series and any way you look at these 4 games it’s still going to be a 2-2 series. I don’t think either team has lost a game they deserved to win.

Every game couldve gone the other way had a bounce or misplay gone the other way.

Both teams strengths & weaknesses have appeared

2-2 is prob right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad