Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Weird that he wasn’t the starter if he’s so much better than Skinner.
He’s a 32 year old career backup for a reason.
Skinner was actually solid during the regular season after the first month. He just gets into awful slumps like the beginning of the year and the playoffs where i gets i to his head and he stops playing aggressive positioning making things harder for himself.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Watching that GWG over... ugly shift for Zadorov. Turns the puck over in the neutral zone, loses a board battle to Holloway and doesn't get the puck out, and then just kinda stands there as Drai passes it through him.
DefenseGame 3Game 4
Soucy (3) /Juulsen (4)17:4814:25-3
Hronek19:5821:49+2
Hughes21:1425:12+4
Cole16:3216:020
Zadorov19:0822:01+3
Myers22:5616:36-6

It's interesting to see that Zadorov played 3 min more than previous game, but Myers had played 6 min less.

Combination of losing Soucy and bad game from Myers exposed Zadorov on that play?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Weird that he wasn’t the starter if he’s so much better than Skinner.
He’s a 32 year old career backup for a reason.
Are you familiar with the 2012 Vancouver Canucks goaltending situation?

Now pickard is no where close to being a Corey Schneider but the same principle applies. A team picks their starter and rides him well past the point of him losing his job to poor play.

Pickard is 100% a career backup. Heck he's more like an ahl starter. But when he comes in and gives the oilers stable goaltending that really tells you something about how bad skinner has been

Caboose

Jan 16, 2019
Oilers had more dominant stretches in previous games, but that was the best game the Oilers played all series.

That was the first time they looked like an experienced team that was actually cup or bust. They were committed, physical and all in on 50/50 pucks while also not giving up awful breakdown chances in the d-zone.

Canucks top performers of the series looked gassed in this one and despite Oilers 5 playing crazy minutes all series they still played more fresh and determined to win.

It's surprising that the Canucks have been able to keep games so close with their defense and goaltending especially with the way Pettersson has been playing. That's like the equivalent impact of taking Bouchard or Ekholm out of the Oilers lineup. Feels like Oilers would be completely lost without one of those two.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
It's surprising that the Canucks have been able to keep games so close with their defense and goaltending especially with the way Pettersson has been playing. That's like the equivalent impact of taking Bouchard or Ekholm out of the Oilers lineup. Feels like Oilers would be completely lost without one of those two.
I don't feel like Petterrssonn is the equivalent of a top line defenseman.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Not joking or bantz, but I honestly think that's the worst thing that could happen for the Oilers if they want to win the series.

The time to respond was when the incident actually happened. It's actually pretty bad that no one stepped up for McDavid -- their best player and captain.

McDavid and Draisatl need to step up and their depth players need to f***ing do something. Perry could start agitating and being the little shitlord he's always been. Nuge could try doing something. Etc.

They try to go headhunting (I know this isn't what you said) or seeking revenge and that's gonna kill any momentum they could get through penalties. Guaranteed the league has spoken to both teams to tell them not to be idiots and the refs are liable to turn on them if they try to get things out of hand.

Nurse was suspended last season in the playoffs for instigating a fight in the last 5 minutes.
With that in mind, I wonder who should had stepped up for the Oilers and get a suspension.... Draisaitl? Hyman?
Maybe Bouchard?

Those were the players on the ice.....

The time to do something stupid to send a message was definitely not then.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I think the 'nucks should be fined by the league.

Like a cat toying with a mouse, it's cruel to watch them take the series lead only to let the oil back in.

Pretending they don't care for two periods then erase a two goal deficit. Only to let the oil take the win to once again tie the series.

Fine them. Or suspend one of their defenceman at least.

Caboose

Jan 16, 2019
I don't feel like Petterrssonn is the equivalent of a top line defenseman.
I would argue when he is playing at his best he is more impactful than either of those two, I felt i was a fair if not slightly generous with the impact comparison, because in no way could I compare him to losing Drai or Mcdavid.

At Peteys best he can turn tweener wingers into a legit Two-way impactful #1 line.

His complete disappearing act to me is at least as important to the Canucks success as the Oilers losing Ekholm or Bouchard.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
dear stuart,

the good news for you is that the little known rest of the wally pipp story is that after he got gehrig'd out of a job, the next season he hit 291 with 99 rbi's (on 6 homers i might add) for the reds

the bad news for you stu, is that wally had talent to begin with!

oiler fans should hope skinner never sees another minute of ice time. i don't mean this series, i mean EVER

goes to show you how pathetic the LA Kings really are

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
With that in mind, I wonder who should had stepped up for the Oilers and get a suspension.... Draisaitl? Hyman?
Maybe Bouchard?

Those were the players on the ice.....

The time to do something stupid to send a message was definitely not then.
Wait, you mean a cross check to the face by Hyman wasn't "stepping up" or "the time to do something stupid?"

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Wait, you mean a cross check to the face by Hyman wasn't "stepping up" or "the time to do something stupid?"
Funny how the nucks fans keep bringing that up.

I would like to realy see a good clean video which trully shows the crosscheck to the face. All the ones I have seen so far are videos where Nucks fans see one thing, Oilers fans see another thing, i.e. not clear.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Not sure calling out the team in the media after game 4 is the way to go. A little bit desperate by Tocchet.

As a fan of a team that absorbed far too many ex-Arizona staff and players, this is a Yotes-y move. Canucks have done well, but I think Tocchet will never be the guy for them and I thought he was their weakest link going into this series

DegeN9

Apr 24, 2017
Watching that GWG over... ugly shift for Zadorov. Turns the puck over in the neutral zone, loses a board battle to Holloway and doesn't get the puck out, and then just kinda stands there as Drai passes it through him.
Speaking of Holloway, kid is developing into a mature and confident player quickly. He doesn’t take much unnecessary risk but has nice hands when he finds a bit of room with his speed. Looked quite solid last night. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him break out offensively soon.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
TikTok picked his moments carefully during the season and the Canucks have thus far responded well when he roasts their play in the press.

So we shall see.

"Oilers in three"

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Not sure calling out the team in the media after game 4 is the way to go. A little bit desperate by Tocchet.

As a fan of a team that absorbed far too many ex-Arizona staff and players, this is a bit of a Yotes-y move. Canucks have done well, but I think Tocchet will never be the guy for them and I thought he was their weakest link going into this series
I didn't like it either. But he's probably being fair with them behind closed doors. And just gave the media something to chew on.

Tocchet turned this team into a division winner and playoff contender. I'm not sure on what planet you could call Tocchet the weakest link. Granted I despised his lineup decisions in this last game. Like scratching Hoglander again.

If I see this right , Hoglander has 25 even strength goals. Which is the same as Connor Mcdavid and Sebastian Aho.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
dear stuart,

the good news for you is that the little known rest of the wally pipp story is that after he got gehrig'd out of a job, the next season he hit 291 with 99 rbi's (on 6 homers i might add) for the reds

the bad news for you stu, is that wally had talent to begin with!

oiler fans should hope skinner never sees another minute of ice time. i don't mean this series, i mean EVER

goes to show you how pathetic the LA Kings really are
He stinks for sure

Reactions: Mike C

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
It's like I've been saying all along....

Edmonton in 6.

Also - 3-2 with Bouchard scoring the OT winner is extremely close to what I had predicted would happen for game 4.
Soucy was suspended so that game was a farce. Game 5 Canucks win

Hronek was bad on that shift and Miller said he didnt block the shot. So its not just Zadorov

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
DefenseGame 3Game 4
Soucy (3) /Juulsen (4)17:4814:25-3
Hronek19:5821:49+2
Hughes21:1425:12+4
Cole16:3216:020
Zadorov19:0822:01+3
Myers22:5616:36-6

It's interesting to see that Zadorov played 3 min more than previous game, but Myers had played 6 min less.

Combination of losing Soucy and bad game from Myers exposed Zadorov on that play?
Possibly. Zadorov has always been seen as a guy with a ton of tools, but not the best decision making. That's why we loved playing against him in Calgary - we could do damage on the scoreboard, even if he was guaranteed going to be physical out there. When things are simple and he has a steady partner, he fares far better. Losing his d partner absolutely could have had an affect on his game, because he did make some bad plays yesterday that he hadn't so far in the series.

Reactions: llamateizer

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
Vancouvers worst game and Edm barely could beat them with Pickard, who played far better than Skinner. The Saucy suspension made all the difference. Juulson was caught on a hit and cost a goal. Oh well.

How about that poke check by Silovs? That was an elite poke check. Perfect skating control.

Evander Kane got away with yet another blatant slew foot in the first 5 minutes.

Tocchet got out coached by Knob. Knob has been impressive I'll admit
Your team has been dominated both by eye and by the numbers in three straight games now. Everyone sees that the Oilers are the clear-cut superior team who have been let down by a historically bad choker in net. Only Canucks fans continue to delude themselves into thinking this series should be tied.

Phil Kessels Hot Dog

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton in 5
Funny how the nucks fans keep bringing that up.

I would like to realy see a good clean video which trully shows the crosscheck to the face. All the ones I have seen so far are videos where Nucks fans see one thing, Oilers fans see another thing, i.e. not clear.

Zadorov was cut by his own stick, it's pretty clear in the clips I've seen.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Edmonton played their best most balanced game of the series. In their barn. In a defacto must win situation. With acceptable goaltending. And still almost f'd it up.

I'm not sure why Edm fans and their catty allies from other salty Canadian fanbases are getting so high and mighty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad