Votes: 12 7.8%
  • Dal in 7

Votes: 10 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
A question for the better hockey minds out here: Did the Avs look like they changed their strategy? Or was it just that what they were doing before finally worked?
I don't think I have a better hockey mind, but it looked to me like they were doing a combination of better dump ins and more coordinated support of the puck, like loading up one side but having the back side D in place to stop the weak side clear. In past games they never seemed to have support in place, which led to dumping but then either losing or never even touching the puck.

Reactions: AegonLeConqueror

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
hopefully seguin, tanev and hintz not playing game 6 or playing very injured
I’d be stunned if we actually won this series but at this point I would be thrilled if we took it to 7 or at least some Stars down with us and put a huge damper in their chances to actually win the Cup (once Benn, Suter and Dutchy are gone then whatever to them winning)

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
A question for the better hockey minds out here: Did the Avs look like they changed their strategy? Or was it just that what they were doing before finally worked?

To me, it's the Avs taking a few games to get used to the fact that Dallas is soooo much better than Winnipeg. Similar systems, but better coaching and better players. What was working - easily - against the Jets wasn't working against Dallas. Dallas has been playing a perfect defensive system. Perfect. But it's tough to be perfect over an entire series.

Dallas only plays 5 Ds. And when those guys get banged up, it's trouble.

We'll see how much trouble on Friday. Maybe this is where the Avs getting rest after Round 1 - and the Stars not - shows up.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I’d be stunned if we actually won this series but at this point I would be thrilled if we took it to 7 or at least some Stars down with us and put a huge damper in their chances to actually win the Cup (once Benn, Suter and Dutchy are gone then whatever to them winning)

I don't see Dallas beating either of NYR/Florida...

Reactions: Chiarelli

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I don't see Dallas beating either of NYR/Florida...
I think it’s unlikely but we’ve also only seen 2 teams in NHL history go 7 in the first two rounds and escape the conference finals. It’s funny too because both were the same year

Unpopular around here but I’d cheer for the Oilers before the Stars just because McDavid is fun to watch. If it’s the Canucks, I’ll just pray they both lose somehow

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I think it’s unlikely but we’ve also only seen 2 teams in NHL history go 7 in the first two rounds and escape the conference finals. It’s funny too because both were the same year

That's an interesting fact, I didn't know that one.

I'm hopeful the Avs can take game 6 (getting swept at home would be completely embarrassing), but I don't think there's a chance in hell they can topple the game 7 DeBoer mountain.

Reactions: GeoRox89

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I don't think there's a chance in hell they can topple the game 7 DeBoer mountain.
Streaks are meant to be broken. It's not like DeBoer will go undefeated in game 7s his entire career.

I think if the Avs take game 6, the momentum will be all with us, and with the way injuries seem to be piling up for them, on top of a second 7 game series in a row, we should have the upper hand in game 7.

We have to put them away in Game 6 first, though, obviously.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Streaks are meant to be broken. It's not like DeBoer will go undefeated in game 7s his entire career.

I think if the Avs take game 6, the momentum will be all with us, and with the way injuries seem to be piling up for them, on top of a second 7 game series in a row, we should have the upper hand in game 7.

We have to put them away in Game 6 first, though, obviously.
Momentum isn’t something that necessarily carries over game to game. It’s more off an in-game thing, imo

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Tanev is the type to play injured even if it's detrimental to the team. Go back and watch the Oilers/Flames 2022 series. He was playing with a separated shoulder or near it and looked utterly useless on the ice. He couldn't box anyone out or tie up a stick in front. I want him playing if he's hurt and I want the Avs to finish every possible check on him.

The Avs have to treat game 6 like they're going to war. Take out as many Dallas Stars as you can with clean, hard hits. Make their defensemen second guess going back for pucks.

This is where Ross Colton, Miles Wood, Brandon Duhaime, even Mikko Rantanen have to put in work. Get these f***ers scared.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Momentum isn’t something that necessarily carries over game to game. It’s more off an in-game thing, imo
Call it confidence then maybe? The Avs will have all the belief in the world, the Stars may have seeds of doubt. Plus the pressure of performing in front of your home crowd. The Avs are currently 2-1 in Dallas.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Tanev is the type to play injured even if it's detrimental to the team. Go back and watch the Oilers/Flames 2022 series. He was playing with a separated shoulder or near it and looked utterly useless on the ice. He couldn't box anyone out or tie up a stick in front. I want him playing if he's hurt and I want the Avs to finish every possible check on him.

The Avs have to treat game 6 like they're going to war. Take out as many Dallas Stars as you can with clean, hard hits. Make their defensemen second guess going back for pucks.

This is where Ross Colton, Miles Wood, Brandon Duhaime, even Mikko Rantanen have to put in work. Get these f***ers scared.
I agree to a certain extent, but I don't want that to be the focus. I feel like when the Avs focus on being physical, they forget to focus on what's really important, which is tracking and puck support. I certainly want everyone finishing checks (from MacK on down), but not getting out of position to do so. I think instead the main strategy should be to run down those D by getting the cycle going.

Reactions: BrickNHL

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree to a certain extent, but I don't want that to be the focus. I feel like when the Avs focus on being physical, they forget to focus on what's really important, which is tracking and puck support. I certainly want everyone finishing checks (from MacK on down), but not getting out of position to do so. I think instead the main strategy should be to run down those D by getting the cycle going.
I don't want them to go out of their way to finish checks, but they have to finish every check when the puck is around. Joel Kiviranta of all people was left alone for a slot one-timer last night because Tanev heard Colton's foot steps and got rid of the puck immediately by rimming it around the boards right to Miles Wood (could have been other way around). The fear of getting hit when you are hurt is real.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019

Thought the exact same about Tanev. If he's hurt he'll consider it being a hero or looking tough when it's actually just stupid and he'll play like trash.

Call it confidence then maybe? The Avs will have all the belief in the world, the Stars may have seeds of doubt. Plus the pressure of performing in front of your home crowd. The Avs are currently 2-1 in Dallas.
They owe the home crowd a win in this series otherwise you just did the Kroenke's a favour with the game 5 win.

MacK never finishes checks

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I know. I want to see it in game 6. A boy can dream can't he? Just imagine MacKinnon forechecking like Miles Wood for a few shifts. It would put the fear of God in those Dallas defensemen.

Honestly, it's one of my consistent personal pet peeves of Bednar that he never does something I would totally do as a coach. If the team is playing like shit, I'd instruct all my forwards to go out and have a traditional 4th line style shift, and say each needs to get at least one hit on their next shift. I figure if they're not producing anything offensively, they can at least create some momentum with a physical shift.

Last edited:

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I know. I want to see it in game 6. I boy can dream can't he? Just imagine MacKinnon forechecking like Miles Wood for a few shifts. It would put the fear of God in those Dallas defensemen.

Honestly, it's one of my consistent personal pet peeves of Bednar that he never does something I would totally do as a coach. If the team is playing like shit, I'd instruct all my forwards to go out and have a traditional 4th line style shift, and say each needs to get at least one hit on their next shift. I figure if they're not producing anything offensively, they can at least create some momentum with a physical shift.
agreed. Not take cheap shots but make the game count for something if you aren't planning on winning. It's a marathon series and you can beat them in other areas.

Reactions: MarkT

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Not sure if this was posted before, but did anyone see this last night?

1715885571956.png

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Can you count two guys as 'out' when they were never 'in'?
Yeah, we actually used Landy's LTIR and I have to believe the Duhaime pickup was a direct response to LOC's injury rather than just adding him for depth. So they've both essentially been replaced for the season before the playoffs began.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
My wife has a work dinner auction thing tomorrow night that I'm being dragged to. Looks like I'll be watching on my phone

Reactions: AvStock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad