Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Funny enough until the last 5 min that was the best game LA has played in ages. Aggressive, hitting everything that moved, they had the arena rocking...just couldn't pop one to blow the top off and we knew what was coming when the PP came. If they give that effort every night instead of backing off and ineffectively shelling up and maybe they're not in this predicament and we're not calling the entire organization a bunch of cowards.

Then again, sitting Byfield for the last 5 min and playing PLD is definitely a choice. Maybe they're just trying to get some guys their last minutes in a Kings jersey or something because the inexplicable decisions continue.

Also have to love them shitting their pants over HAVING to play LHD-RHD to justify Englund in the lineup and sitting Clarke then going to Doughty-Spence--two RHDs--when they need some offense...if only there was some offense on the bench somewhere...

please just hurry up and kill me

oh, and 2-11 on home playoff ice since the Cup. It's a fun fan experience provided you enjoy getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Funny enough until the last 5 min that was the best game LA has played in ages. Aggressive, hitting everything that moved, they had the arena rocking...just couldn't pop one to blow the top off and we knew what was coming when the PP came. If they give that effort every night instead of backing off and ineffectively shelling up and maybe they're not in this predicament and we're not calling the entire organization a bunch of cowards.

Then again, sitting Byfield for the last 5 min and playing PLD is definitely a choice. Maybe they're just trying to get some guys their last minutes in a Kings jersey or something because the inexplicable decisions continue.

Also have to love them shitting their pants over HAVING to play LHD-RHD to justify Englund in the lineup and sitting Clarke then going to Doughty-Spence--two RHDs--when they need some offense...if only there was some offense on the bench somewhere...

please just hurry up and kill me

oh, and 2-11 on home playoff ice since the Cup. It's a fun fan experience provided you enjoy getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly
I feel like LA would be such a dominate team if they played a more aggressive style and got a reliable starting goalie. When you look at their lineup it's such a deep team.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I feel like LA would be such a dominate team if they played a more aggressive style and got a reliable starting goalie. When you look at their lineup it's such a deep team.

Yeah you don't bring aboard a bunch of average-sized above-average-speed waterbugs to clog the neutral zone. It's the maddening disconnect between 'vision' and roster construction manifesting that we've been complaining about for years.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Byfield has been a revelation, at least

7 GF, 1 GA at 5v5 this series, making plays on offense and defense, only him and Kempe can even remotely control McDavid with their size/speed/reach.

Needs to learn that his size helps him truck to the net, too.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I would argue earlier. Getting utterly owned by the same team in the playoffs 5/6 years (with 4 of them being in the first round) is a level of incompetence to me especially in a league where over half of the teams made the playoffs.

Fluke run in 2006 but the signs were there in those years of being pwned by the Stars

2006 was definitely not a fluke. That was a solid team... until the deadline it just lacked goaltending, so Lowe went out and got: Roloson, Spacek, Tarnstrom, and Samsonov at the deadline. It was probably one of the best "teams" in terms of defensive depth throughout the lineup that Edmonton ever had. Jarret Stoll was our 3rd line center, Matt Greene was our 6th/7th D-man.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Okay I don't think anyone had 1-0 Oilers on the bingo card.

Honestly maybe a big thing for Skinner to have his first great playoff performance but I imagine the team won't want to play like that again if they can help it. Expecting them to come out with a bit more energy on Wednesday.

Not sure how the Kings look back on that game. Does that build confidence or is it super demoralizing?
It's pretty much following suit from the previous series. The Kings try to play 50/50 with the Oilers and do well, winning a game in Edmonton. Then they come home and get bulldozed before settling into an ultra conservative game that allows Edmonton's superior talent just enough chances to win. It's been happening earlier each year. They lost Game 7 two years ago this way, lost game 6 last year in this manner, and dropped Game 4 last night.

It's an expected pattern.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Byfield has been a revelation, at least

7 GF, 1 GA at 5v5 this series, making plays on offense and defense, only him and Kempe can even remotely control McDavid with their size/speed/reach.

Needs to learn that his size helps him truck to the net, too.
He’s going to be hard to contain when he becomes aware of how big and strong he is.

He’s been impressive all series to me.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Byfield did have a shift with 3 minutes to go, but you're right that he was benched in favor of Dubois for the final 2 minutes. On one hand, Dubois is the veteran and has more playoff experience, so it's not surprising. On the other hand, he had 8 points all season on the powerplay, while Byfield had 14, and playing with the goalie pulled is essentially a powerplay. Maybe Hiller was afraid that, if he didn't have Blake's prized acquisition out there in the final minutes of a pivotal playoff game, he'd be risking his job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Welp i called it Oilers in 5 . We all knew it but Oilers might have a hard time getting past round 2 because i was at the game last night and the Kings have been hitting the Oilers hard and often and i saw Hyman and Mcdavid crunched over in pain and complaining to the trainers/coaching staff multiple times . They will get through round 1 but I believe they’re going into round 2 hurt and not fully healthy .

GG’s Oiler fans , Til next year .
This is why I believe it's important that the Oilers finish off the Kings in 5. They weren't dirty last night, played a hard and clean brand of hockey, but in game 3 when they were down by a lot they were starting to take liberties and we can't afford that.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Kinda wild that the Oilers beat the Kings in a fashion we saw the Kings do so many times over the years.
It's more proof that the Kings are completely overmatched from a talent standpoint.
And that calling the Kings' special teams "trash" is an understatement

I'm still scared every time Kempe has the puck. Guy is one of the most underrated players in the league imo.
He should be the Kings' captain. He's the only guy with any heart. He is our Shane Falco

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
He's also insanely clutch
Sadly, he is one of the few Kings' forward development success stories. Byfield is starting to look good.

Blake had a plethora of prospects and it was all pissed away on Fiala and Dubois and our prospects are blocked by bad signings and/or can't play any games in the NHL because they will hit bonuses.
Truly sad

Satire

Nov 20, 2016

Honestly maybe a big thing for Skinner to have his first great playoff performance but I imagine the team won't want to play like that again if they can help it. Expecting them to come out with a bit more energy on Wednesday.

Not sure how the Kings look back on that game. Does that build confidence or is it super demoralizing?
They need to take the good parts from this game (defensive play, keeping the game to the parameter) and merge with the good parts of games 1/3 (high energy tempo and high energy play in the offensive zone). As well as they played yesterday in terms of defense, they won't be getting away with that against teams with better top end talent.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's more proof that the Kings are completely overmatched from a talent standpoint.
And that calling the Kings' special teams "trash" is an understatement

He should be the Kings' captain. He's the only guy with any heart. He is our Shane Falco

Trash called and it wants to sue for defamation of character

• Haha
Reactions: Lt Dan

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Oh man I love playing against the LA Kings! Getting those secondary assists makes me so happy!

I would argue earlier. Getting utterly owned by the same team in the playoffs 5/6 years (with 4 of them being in the first round) is a level of incompetence to me especially in a league where over half of the teams made the playoffs.

Fluke run in 2006 but the signs were there in those years of being pwned by the Stars

Look at the Stars and Avalanches rosters back then. It was a different universe. The Oilers were broke and both of those teams had all world rosters, absolutely stacked with HOF players

The fact that they ever won a single series against Colorado and Dallas back then is a miracle

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

yeah i think you got the read all wrong

they puffed their chests up at the end of game 3, came out swinging for 20 minutes of game 4 and got nothing for it, then wilted and quietly lost to their own system. you heard how raucous it was in the 1st and it turned to a mausoleum for the rest. everyone in that building knew it was over

kings fade quietly into the offseason, hopefully taking luc and his cronies with them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad