Series Talk: WCQF: Edmonton Oilers vs Los Angeles Kings - EDM Defeats LA 4-1

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Maybe context helps? Pre 2006 there was no salary cap. Yes the stars won 3 vs. the Oilers 1.

There was no cap, and the CAD was 60% or less to the USD. The Oilers paid salaries in USD, earned in CAD, and had to compete against teams with 40 - 80 mln payrolls with a payroll of 25mln or less.

The Oilers also had 50% the payroll the Stars had during this span. Their players and managers were poached by larger market teams. It was a totally different universe.

Understand you may not be aware of this, but should know a little before spouting nonsense.

To be fair to the bolded, the poster you're quoting would appear to be a Canucks fan, so knowing a little about hockey and its history may be too much to ask.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
This one is over....

I feel like game 5 will be another blowout in favor of Edmonton....

Canucks-Oilers in Round 2 will be an entertaining thing....

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
A little late for moral victories at this time of year but at least they played their game instead of running around like headless chickens.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Okay I don't think anyone had 1-0 Oilers on the bingo card.

Honestly maybe a big thing for Skinner to have his first great playoff performance but I imagine the team won't want to play like that again if they can help it. Expecting them to come out with a bit more energy on Wednesday.

Not sure how the Kings look back on that game. Does that build confidence or is it super demoralizing?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I went to bed early and slept through it, myself. It looks like I didn't miss much.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Okay I don't think anyone had 1-0 Oilers on the bingo card.

Honestly maybe a big thing for Skinner to have his first great playoff performance but I imagine the team won't want to play like that again if they can help it. Expecting them to come out with a bit more energy on Wednesday.

Not sure how the Kings look back on that game. Does that build confidence or is it super demoralizing?
Another way to say this is - if I told you a week ago that in game 4, Oilers would be limited to 1 goal and 13 shots on nets....would more than 1% of fans have predicted they'd actually win that game?

Really impressive. And I think this will be great for Skinner's confidence, yes.

I'd think this is super demoralizing for Kings. You're not likely to keep Oilers down to 13 shots and 1 goal again, you have to expect their big guns bounce back next game, and so it'll be hard to win...

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It’s hard to imagine Edmonton losing three in a row with two of those games being at home (if it were to go that far).

I keep seeing a stat that indicates the team being up 3-1 wins the series 90% of the time. Whether it’s the Van-Nsh, Edm-LAK, or the Win-Col series, all of them have volatile goalie situations that should lower the odds somewhat.

Last year, Florida came back against Boston who had a great goalie situation and a well balanced roster.

Still though, it seems like too many things have to go right for LAK for it to happen three times in a row. Of the 3-1 series, this seems like the least likely to see the trailing team come back.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Money puck had the high danger chances 4-2 for Kings.

Watching the game, Kings had volume but were limited quite well.

Reactions: ujju2

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It’s hard to imagine Edmonton losing three in a row with two of those games being at home (if it were to go that far).

I keep seeing a stat that indicates the team being up 3-1 wins the series 90% of the time. Whether it’s the Van-Nsh, Edm-LAK, or the Win-Col series, all of them have volatile goalie situations that should lower the odds somewhat.

Last year, Florida came back against Boston who had a great goalie situation and a well balanced roster.

Still though, it seems like too many things have to go right for LAK for it to happen three times in a row. Of the 3-1 series, this seems like the least likely to see the trailing team come back.
The main thing for me with the Bruins last year is that by game 5 they had one goalie who was (reportedly) playing through a "debilitating injury," another goalie who was too sick to play, and Bergeron trying to play through a herniated disc. Feel like the only team even close to that situation is the Canucks and their goalies, but even then Nashville's struggling to score on empty nets so it probably doesn't matter.

Last edited:

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Impressive win Oilers! Couldn't watch but looks like Kings got beat at own game. Oilers seem to have stole this low scoring affair (Curse you, West-coast late starts on the weekends!!!). Without seeing whole game, can't say 100% what took place, but would still be impressive win non-the-less. Real "Cup" contenders find ways to win playoff games that don't go ones way. Now Oilers 3-1 lead is a completely different beast to tame, than 2-2 series.

16 - 3 = 13 wins left being only numbers that matter for Oilers to win prize, regardless how any playoff game is won.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Money puck had the high danger chances 4-2 for Kings.

Watching the game, Kings had volume but were limited quite well.
I woke up and watched the highlights and spent the whole time wondering when something was going to happen. Thoughts and prayers to whoever at Sportsnet/NHL who had to find a way to put together a long enough package to be able to have a midroll ad on YouTube.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
I woke up and watched the highlights and spent the whole time wondering when something was going to happen. Thoughts and prayers to whoever at Sportsnet/NHL who had to find a way to put together a long enough package to be able to have a midroll ad on YouTube.
LA went last 6 min without a shot actually hitting the net.

Reactions: Summer Rose

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Skinner was awful in Game 2 and looked like he didn't know how to play positionally.

The last two games he's been dynamite and looked settled in net. Yesterday you could feel just watching it'd be tough to get one by him.

It's bounce backs like that needed in the playoffs by goalies to give their team a chance.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Too little too late for LA. Game 1 was costly for them and had LA brought last nights game right on Day one then this possibly would be 2-2 and not 3-1. LA's blueline sucks. Roy and Spence are a bottom pairing, yet they're logging top 4 minutes on LA. LA needs to get rid of the Dubois contract and bring in a top 4 dman this summer.

Last years series was 1000 times more competitive.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Welp i called it Oilers in 5 . We all knew it but Oilers might have a hard time getting past round 2 because i was at the game last night and the Kings have been hitting the Oilers hard and often and i saw Hyman and Mcdavid crunched over in pain and complaining to the trainers/coaching staff multiple times . They will get through round 1 but I believe they’re going into round 2 hurt and not fully healthy .

GG’s Oiler fans , Til next year .

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Maybe context helps? Pre 2006 there was no salary cap. Yes the stars won 3 vs. the Oilers 1.

There was no cap, and the CAD was 60% or less to the USD. The Oilers paid salaries in USD, earned in CAD, and had to compete against teams with 40 - 80 mln payrolls with a payroll of 25mln or less.

The Oilers also had 50% the payroll the Stars had during this span. Their players and managers were poached by larger market teams. It was a totally different universe.

Understand you may not be aware of this, but should know a little before spouting nonsense.

he unironically used pwns in 2024, so he probably doesnt know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad