Utah team nickname/colors/logo (and related marketing)

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Would imagine that Smith and his team have a name in mind and are working on the logo and stuff. This is really fan engagement.

I mean, once he began talking to the NHL, he must have had a couple of names in mind once it became clear to him that he was the NHL's backup plan for AZ. Like I doubt most parents to be are waiting til the final week before the birth of their kid to have a shortlist of names ready. Same would apply here.

That explains why they aren't announcing a name now. But not why they're waiting an entire year.

There is a lot to a name and uniform. Typically it does take months and months. You need to secure all your IP rights, web domains, and the like. So probably Smith just doesn't want to rush that process.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That explains why they aren't announcing a name now. But not why they're waiting an entire year.

There is a lot to a name and uniform. Typically it does take months and months. You need to secure all your IP rights, web domains, and the like. So probably Smith just doesn't want to rush that process.
Merchandising is big revenue. So, want to get it that down. I think it makes sense to announce the name when you have some merchandising available for it to capitalize on the buzz.

So, with this season's jerseys, just be basic Black and white or will they have the Jazz colors?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Merchandising is big revenue. So, want to get it that down. I think it makes sense to announce the name when you have some merchandising available for it to capitalize on the buzz.

So, with this season's jerseys, just be basic Black and white or will they have the Jazz colors?

So when the Jets came back...

They first announced the name at the draft. It was one of the better reveals of all time: Chipman gets up on the stage, thanks everyone for being in the league (they were given more time than usual as this was TNSE's first-ever NHL well anything). Chipman then introduces Chevy who will make the pick "on behalf of the Winnipeg Jets". Fans go wild.

But anyways - no merch available at that point. No logo announced. (of course people still had tons of Jets 1.0 stuff hanging around).

By late July the logo is leaked, and in response the team immediately starts selling hats / shirts with the logo. No jerseys, just the logo. But they sell like crazy.

Close to the start of training camp they finally release the jersey.

So anyways - a delay between announcing and having merch for sale is not the end of the world. What might be problematic though is people will still want their merch - but now you're selling people temporary merch that will be out-of-date in one year.

Whatever - I'm sure they've thought this through and have their reasons.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Yes indeed, not a lot of good options there. I selected:
Utah Blizzard
Utah Canyons
Utah Mammoth
Utah Yeti

I'm kind of intrigued by "Canyons", as nobody here had mentioned that previously. I still think 'Monuments' is better, but Canyons is better than "Arches".

Last edited:

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I was thinking about the Arches the other day, and remembered the name "Monolith". Wondered about the name Utah Monoliths. Weird, I know. :joker:

I low-key love the idea of the team being named the Utah Monoliths, with the logo/mascot being the Monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

It'll never happen of course.
Too risky, could face a huge lawsuit from Arthur C. Clarke's heirs ...

Reactions: Puckrobber

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
How about Utah Highwaymen or Frontiersmen?

Or this: Utah Red Rocks?

Ok, I keep adding to this post, but this time I think I have a good one:
The Utah WagonWheels (one or two words).
The spokes could be hockey sticks.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Too risky, could face a huge lawsuit from Arthur C. Clarke's heirs ...

Hence where I said;

It'll never happen of course.

Both because you'd need to get the rights from both Clarke's heirs, but also Kubrick, PLUS marketing your team around a near-60 year old trippy sci-fi movie is hardly a good idea.

And even if you did - your logo would be a big black rectangle. OOO - how menacing!

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I think they'll be going with Yeti.
Wasn't there already a push by people in Utah for them to be named Utah Yeti?

kickback256

May 1, 2024
Utah
How about Utah Highwaymen or Frontiersmen?

Or this: Utah Red Rocks?

Ok, I keep adding to this post, but this time I think I have a good one:
The Utah WagonWheels (one or two words).
The spokes could be hockey sticks.
I’d dig the Utah Red Rocks if that wasn’t the *exact* team name for the University of Utah’s championship gymnastics team, who are kind of a big deal around here.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I’d dig the Utah Red Rocks if that wasn’t the *exact* team name for the University of Utah’s championship gymnastics team, who are kind of a big deal around here.
Haha... I keep coming up with names used by other teams, in Utah or in other places.... Wolf Pack, used; Raptors, used; Stingers, used; Coyotes, not available; Icemen, used; Cougars, used; and Red Rocks, used.

Last edited:
Reactions: kickback256

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
How about this for a name:

The Acme Co. of Utah!
Can use both the roadrunner AND Coyote.
Continuity of the franchise and I’m pretty sure both animals can be found in Utah.
At least there is a higher probability of a roadrunner there than a Yeti lol

hammer42

Feb 5, 2023
I think good names for the Utah team should be Raptors , Mammoth Or Venom with Purple , Copper , Baby Blue & Black as there colors .

While they are at it they should consider changing the name of the Utah Jazz because there is nothing Jazzy or exciting about Utah .

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Unless you come up with something totally unique and unheard of, names are either going to be common, boring or strange, since there are so many sports leagues in North America. I think that's why names like Yeti, Black Diamonds or Venom are being considered. Sometimes, you need to stand out a little.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
I think good names for the Utah team should be Raptors , Mammoth Or Venom with Purple , Copper , Baby Blue & Black as there colors .

While they are at it they should consider changing the name of the Utah Jazz because there is nothing Jazzy or exciting about Utah .

I keeping wondering if they will take a snake or insect angle if “Venom” becomes the name.

hammer42

Feb 5, 2023
I have seen some concept logos for some of names out there & the best ones in my opinion are the ones for Raptors , Mammoth & Venom with the best one being Venom with a snake as there logo & color scheme of Black , Red & Baby Blue .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad