UNB Reds Thread (Part5)

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
I don’t think this will fully hit me until the first game in the fall. I’ve been going to UNB hockey games further back than my memory stretches , when Gardiner took over I was a 6 year old kid sitting with my father, I grew up going through his hockey programs and camps, I would improve more as a player after a few weeks with Gardiner than an entire season with my minor hockey coaches , he seemed a little ahead of his time with his emphasis on edge work with young players. As a kid who grew up around UNB hockey, Gardiner MacDougall was always UNB hockey for me. No tributes that are payed for him going forward are ever going to be enough. Thanks coach Mac for the best summers of my childhood and for spoiling us as hockey fans for the last 2+ decades.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I don’t think this will fully hit me until the first game in the fall. I’ve been going to UNB hockey games further back than my memory stretches , when Gardiner took over I was a 6 year old kid sitting with my father, I grew up going through his hockey programs and camps, I would improve more as a player after a few weeks with Gardiner than an entire season with my minor hockey coaches , he seemed a little ahead of his time with his emphasis on edge work with young players. As a kid who grew up around UNB hockey, Gardiner MacDougall was always UNB hockey for me. No tributes that are payed for him going forward are ever going to be enough. Thanks coach Mac for the best summers of my childhood and for spoiling us as hockey fans for the last 2+ decades.
Well said.....

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I didn’t grow up in Fredericton, and my kids aren’t old enough yet to be in hockey, so this news affects me strictly as a fan of UNB hockey for the last 22 years. I came to UNB in 2002 and have been a huge fan since…like you, Gardiner as the coach is all I’ve known and I realize how fortunate (ie/ spoiled) I’ve been to follow and be a fan of this program during his tenure. I think we all knew this day was coming soon, but it still sucks. Truly the end of an era.

Outside of the impact his loss will have on UNB and the Reds program, one just needs to read all the comments on social media to see how much of a massive void his departure will leave in the community and among young hockey players and students in this city.

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
Anyone else read into quote "how quickly'" this came together? A few different times in his remarks Gardiner had said, "if you had of asked me a week or two ago if this was a possibility, I wouldn't be so sure" essentially alluding to the fact that there must have been significant negotiations made along the way. President Paul also made reference to that as well last evening. Gotta believe UNB upped their offer substantially as well.

My thoughts when I heard the initial rumours were that...OK even if he does go for it, it'll be a temporary leave or couple years away. Now I think that never could have been possible really.

Like some have said...I think we all expected the day to come one way or another. Truly spoiled in Fredericton to have him as long as we did.

Here's to hoping Hennigar has a shot at taking over the UNB bench. He has definitely put in his time and should be a front runner.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
My take is that Taylor as GM was the dealbreaker. I believe Gardiner was fully committed to staying with UNB if that didn't happen. Gardiner told several of us years ago the only way he would go to the Q was if he could be GM and Head Coach. Taylor as GM is next best thing I guess. Robert Irving reached an agreement with Gardiner Monday, then Gardiner called the UNB President. Tuesday noon Gardiner talked to the Reds hockey team players via Zoom or Teams. Moncton wanted to make the announcement Wednesday morning, so the Reds scrambled late Tuesday afternoon to pull together the sendoff for Gardiner at 5:30.

Reactions: timbitca

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Anyone else read into quote "how quickly'" this came together? A few different times in his remarks Gardiner had said, "if you had of asked me a week or two ago if this was a possibility, I wouldn't be so sure" essentially alluding to the fact that there must have been significant negotiations made along the way. President Paul also made reference to that as well last evening. Gotta believe UNB upped their offer substantially as well.

My thoughts when I heard the initial rumours were that...OK even if he does go for it, it'll be a temporary leave or couple years away. Now I think that never could have been possible really.

Like some have said...I think we all expected the day to come one way or another. Truly spoiled in Fredericton to have him as long as we did.

Here's to hoping Hennigar has a shot at taking over the UNB bench. He has definitely put in his time and should be a front runner.
I'm sure Henni will be the interim coach this year while the school does the necessary stuff for a competition and Brad Good moves into Associate Coach which will be a pay raise for him.

Reactions: 902RedIslander

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
My take is that Taylor as GM was the dealbreaker. I believe Gardiner was fully committed to staying with UNB if that didn't happen. Gardiner told several of us years ago the only way he would go to the Q was if he could be GM and Head Coach. Taylor as GM is next best thing I guess. Robert Irving reached an agreement with Gardiner Monday, then Gardiner called the UNB President. Tuesday noon Gardiner talked to the Reds hockey team players via Zoom or Teams. Moncton wanted to make the announcement Wednesday morning, so the Reds scrambled late Tuesday afternoon to pull together the sendoff for Gardiner at 5:30.
I wonder if the GM would fire the coach?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Fully agree. That was my thought the moment I saw Taylor's name linked to the rumors. I'm impressed as to how quickly UNB set up the presser.

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
I read one post somewhere by a commenter where in as many words it said, "this was long past time for Gardiner" and the more I thought about it, as tough as it is for unb fans, it's true.

Honestly though...what else could the guy ever do at this point that would cement himself as the greatest to ever do it at this level. He is the greatest. He's done it over and over again. He has won everything there is to win at this level.

I do hope the grass is greener on the other side for Gardiner because he deserves it.

For starters...the facilities and staff resources are going to be like nothing UNB could ever offer in this lifetime. However the quebec and maritimes travel trips will no doubt be gruelling and the regular season will essentially be doubled and then some compared to what he has done for decades in the AUS. Taking over the bench duties in Moncton I assume won't exactly be like a quick 20-some day trip to Saint John for a memorial cup either. Gotta think after that all that time in a place with so much success one would grow accustomed to the friendly/familar confines (of UNB) in some ways.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
There was nothing else he could do or prove at this level….a perfect season was really the final milestone missing from his resume and it is a fitting way to go out.

I think the part that stings the most is just how sudden it happened. As mentioned before, we all knew this was coming sooner or later, but I always figured when the time came it would be announced prior to the season that it would be his last, allowing for a “farewell tour” so to speak.

Looking forward, I wonder how this will impact recruiting for next year? Also, I would have to imagine when the job gets posted it will be a pretty coveted opportunity.

Reactions: 902RedIslander

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
I read a comment on here a while back that said UNB will probably be ok this year...and likely the year after that and so on. Basically UNB is not automatically going to be a bad team now that Gards is gone. But gradually, over time...the Gardiner effect will disappear. Who is next in line for that level of commitment. Time will tell I guess...

Most importantly...does he get boo'ed in Saint John now?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
They were a good team the five years before he arrived…I still expect them to be a national contender, maybe just not at the “UNB and everyone else” level.

I figure, he’s won in Fredericton and SJ…just needs Moncton to compete the NB trifecta.

Reactions: timbitca

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
For those commenting about how Gardiner had nothing else to prove, etc.... I still feel that a lot of this is about Taylor - giving him the exposure he needs to move up the food chain. I'm certain that if Taylor was not part of the package, we would be talking about another perfect season under Gards.

With Gards as Head Coach and Taylor as GM and Dir of Hockey Ops, they control the team, answering only to Irving.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
For those commenting about how Gardiner had nothing else to prove, etc.... I still feel that a lot of this is about Taylor - giving him the exposure he needs to move up the food chain. I'm certain that if Taylor was not part of the package, we would be talking about another perfect season under Gards.
Absolutely 100% agree. I think it was finally the right time and right circumstances to make the move.

Maybe he will get the itch down the road to come back and get that 10th UCup lol.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Absolutely 100% agree. I think it was finally the right time and right circumstances to make the move.

Maybe he will get the itch down the road to come back and get that 10th UCup lol.
No. He has retired. He just can't come back and take over the UNB job. As I said, this is more about Taylor than Gards. He could have stayed at UNB and probably would have if not for adding Taylor to the mix.

I'm guessing they have a 3 year contract, so he'll be 67 when done. This is all part of the master plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad