HF Habs: U18 World Men's Hockey Championship, April 25-May 5

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You already have the perfect winger for Dach in that scenario, it’s Caufield.

Newhook/Roy-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Caufield-Dach-Iginla

I wouldn’t be pissed because Eiserman scores goals. He’ll be a player. I just think Iginla is more complete player that can impact the game in different ways, while also likely scoring 30+ goals.

I'd be happy with either of Eiserman or Iggy. Those are my top forward targets after Celebrini and Demidov. I really like guys who can shoot and score and they have size. Eiserman or Iggy? Tough one to call for me on who I like better. Going to give the edge to Eiserman but it's very close for me

And I'm trying to build a strong top 9, not just top 6. I think top 6 thinking is an old way of building a contender. Game has changed. I would have no problem with Newhook and Roy on a 3rd line but with PP time as well. Roll your top 3 lines heavy with the 4th mixed in. Then the guys gets extra time on PP/PK depending on their skill set. This also helps prevents pumping up one line where someone has a career year at the wrong time in terms of contract renewal.

If the Habs do this right and it's on the right track, we have 3 very good lines and a very competitive group of D with sound goaltending. I can see many GM's building this way in the years to come and if the Habs plan works, teams will try to copy our draft power and strategy. The draft power has been very high for several years now and that's overlaps Bergevin's last few years as well.

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Iggy didn't impress me that much at this tournament. Good, come as advertised, nothing more, not someone who would be in the top 10 last year, he's just too raw. He's young in his draft year, so there is that. 2 more years in the CHL are needed here. I'll be happy if we draft him, but it's the period of the rebuild where we need someone quite mature that can improve the team if not next year soon.
Really? Thought he goals were nice and he controlled the play when he had to.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Really? Thought he goals were nice and he controlled the play when he had to.

He does. But the question is more: Does he do it in a way that is competitive vs. his peers? The answer is yes, but it's not like he's showing much of a delta vs. Ryder Ritchie, for example (who is a center and thus plays a more valuable position). You mostly pick him because he's showing incredible athleticism potential, and maybe he'll go from a good 50-point second-liner to a 90-points + 40-goals scorer when that potential shows up (i.e Jarome around 22-23).

Reactions: bopeep

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
He does. But the question is more: Does he do it in a way that is competitive vs. his peers? The answer is yes, but it's not like he's showing much of a delta vs. Ryder Ritchie, for example (who is a center and thus plays a more valuable position). You mostly pick him because he's showing incredible athleticism potential, and maybe he'll go from a good 50-point second-liner to a 90-points + 40-goals scorer when that potential shows up (i.e Jarome around 22-23).

Oh I agree, there are little variables that seem to launch a player higher than others. Ritchie could be a stud, like missing out on Pasta. I felt this way about Cutter Gauthier and Leonard, I saw them as 2 of the most valuable in the draft. Not sure how much stock i put in the U18's anyways, the talent pool is sus from other countries. USA and Canada I guess is how you measure it up in the end.

Reactions: bopeep

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Very true but still under 18...projecting these kids is very tricky.

Always is but there's a lot playing against him.. don't think he's a stylistic fit on top of a room/culture fit.. and some of his answers show a lack of coachability.

If you want to get better, saying you're already good defensively when you're not even a factor defensively is a red flag. He ain't Michkov level and they passed on him for similar fears.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Always is but there's a lot playing against him.. don't think he's a stylistic fit on top of a room/culture fit.. and some of his answers show a lack of coachability.

If you want to get better, saying you're already good defensively when you're not even a factor defensively is a red flag. He ain't Michkov level and they passed on him for similar fears.
All good points. I have never been a fan of players with primadona mindsets.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
So does Matthews.. question is can he score goals in the play-offs. Right now he's just a powerplay threat.
we won't see the Ploffs for probably 4 more years, so goals would be nice too. We all have Hoffman ptsd, or worse.. another Alex Turcotte .. why did that kid get picked so high? Lets learn from that

Corky

Mar 21, 2008
Singapore
What's perfect for the Habs is that they won't pick him...and even if the guy ends up with 100 points, everybody will say that at the time...it was just impossible to pick him. Though I thought the same with Mailloux....imagine after picking Mailloux...

But I believe that pure talent wise, kid is still top 15 by far.
I’ve soured on the Mailloux pick now that I know that they were hesitating between him and Knies. I like Mailloux but Knies would really fill a need.

Edit: And Knies is the leafs player with the least punchable face. Even Nylander, which I really like as a player, has a punchable face.

• Haha
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
In an important game, I will pick Iginla over Eiserman 10 out of 10. In the gold medal game you can see Iginla raised his game another notch as the game coming closer and closer to the end.
Iginla, Demidov, Lindstrom, Catton, Eiserman or even Sennecke, at 5 OA we will, if we go forward at the draft, be getting a player who will instantly become our best forward prospect.

So lets sit back and watch what develops knowing comfortably that the outcome will only be good.

It’s good to be drafting 5 OA in this draft. Very good indeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad