OT: The Wild Board Jukebox Thread: Part Deux

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Evergrey can do no wrong, Englunds voice (specifically with Evergrey... don't care much for him in Redemption) is just perfect. Regarding getting bummed out, sure... but what a classy goodbye. That was pretty cool.

Song rocks tho
I totally agree man. I also think Ray was a much better fit for Redemption.

Very cool way for Jonas to step away, even if it is a bummer.

I just read an article [Longtime EVERGREY Drummer JONAS EKDAHL Announces His Departure] that said Jonas is just not interested in touring anymore. Guessing a lot of artists are just doing the math and realizing that the hassle isn't worth what they get paid anymore. Sounds like he's still going to do studio work, write, record, etc. with the band. Just doesn't want to be away from home anymore. Which eases my mind for selfish reasons as I'm old and don't like change. I'm sure a lot of the heavy lifting is likely Tom, but taking Jonas out of the mix felt like it'd be a big change to the process. Been a slow steady stream of other Euro hard rock & metal guys doing the same the past few years.

Yeah, both the new tracks that are out are fantastic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soldier13Fox

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Man, for a guy that's as religious as he is, Roy Khan gets pretty damn dark in this tune. The song is about Orwell's 'Animal Farm'. I normally can't stand over the top repetition in songs. Part of the reason I dislike pop music, rap and The Rolling Stones so much. But, it just works with the guitar riff in this song. Really pushes the lyrics to the front IMO.

And then, this. The dude is just a master of evoking emotion. Just sucks he's not as active as he used to be.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Man, for a guy that's as religious as he is, Roy Khan gets pretty damn dark in this tune. The song is about Orwell's 'Animal Farm'. I normally can't stand over the top repetition in songs. Part of the reason I dislike pop music, rap and The Rolling Stones so much. But, it just works with the guitar riff in this song. Really pushes the lyrics to the front IMO.

And then, this. The dude is just a master of evoking emotion. Just sucks he's not as active as he used to be.

Careful now. Those guys are norwegian. But Elize is from Sweden, so that saves you a little...
I thought Roy retired after his nervous breakdown when he was in Kamelot. Good for him to come back, I liked it.

I didn't see her band Amaranthe on your list, assuming you perhaps didn't knew they were swedish.
Released an album this february, The Catalyst.

Reactions: MK9

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Careful now. Those guys are norwegian. But Elize is from Sweden, so that saves you a little...
I thought Roy retired after his nervous breakdown when he was in Kamelot. Good for him to come back, I liked it.

I didn't see her band Amaranthe on your list, assuming you perhaps didn't knew they were swedish.
Released an album this february, The Catalyst.

Aha. Roy is Norwegian, yes. The other guys are from the US and Germany. But yeah, Roy went home. Got very involved in his family and church. Someone posted a video several years ago of him singing with his church and he barely even looked like the same guy.
1715803188407.png
1715803211837.png

Bit of a life change there.

Then after a few years got back together with his pre-Kamelot band Conception. They're not super active and I don't think they really tour. Fairly sure they just do one off shows. He is without a doubt in my top 5 fav singers. I like Tommy (see, look, another Swede) in Kamelot a lot. Loved his singing with Seventh Wonder. But, Kamelot just isn't quite the same without Roy.

Not sure why, but I thought Elize was Dutch and thereby mistakenly assumed the rest of the band was as well. Thought for some reason she was from the same place as Sharon den Adel. I will happily watch and listen to either of them, however. Neither of them are in any way difficult to look at.

That said, I like Amaranthe, but they get a bit too much on the pop side for me with some of their tunes. So I enjoy some songs, but can't sit through an entire album.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Aha. Roy is Norwegian, yes. The other guys are from the US and Germany. But yeah, Roy went home. Got very involved in his family and church. Someone posted a video several years ago of him singing with his church and he barely even looked like the same guy.
View attachment 871304View attachment 871306
Bit of a life change there.

Then after a few years got back together with his pre-Kamelot band Conception. They're not super active and I don't think they really tour. Fairly sure they just do one off shows. He is without a doubt in my top 5 fav singers. I like Tommy (see, look, another Swede) in Kamelot a lot. Loved his singing with Seventh Wonder. But, Kamelot just isn't quite the same without Roy.

Not sure why, but I thought Elize was Dutch and thereby mistakenly assumed the rest of the band was as well. Thought for some reason she was from the same place as Sharon den Adel. I will happily watch and listen to either of them, however. Neither of them are in any way difficult to look at.

That said, I like Amaranthe, but they get a bit too much on the pop side for me with some of their tunes. So I enjoy some songs, but can't sit through an entire album.
Kamelot, yes. I meant Conception, I think they are all from Norway. Could be wrong though.

That's true, they are not the heaviest band around, but some songs hit the spot for me. They sure like to change things up. I know she toured with Kamelot in the US, and sang on Silverthorn.

Elize was born and raised in Värnamo, 70 miles away from here, the same small town that Spice from Spiritual Beggars was born. 20 000 people live there, so it's just a little village. It's in the same region where many of the Swedes that migrated to Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin in the mid 1800's came from, so maybe you are related to one of them, lol.

There is also a standing stone with rune inscriptions in that place.

1715806069648.png

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Kamelot, yes. I meant Conception, I think they are all from Norway. Could be wrong though.

That's true, they are not the heaviest band around, but some songs hit the spot for me. They sure like to change things up. I know she toured with Kamelot in the US, and sang on Silverthorn.

Elize was born and raised in Värnamo, 70 miles away from here, the same small town that Spice from Spiritual Beggars was born. 20 000 people live there, so it's just a little village. It's in the same region where many of the Swedes that migrated to Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin in the mid 1800's came from, so maybe you are related to one of them, lol.

There is also a standing stone with rune inscriptions in that place.

View attachment 871323
Oh. Yeah, I believe you are correct, believe Conception are all from Norway.

I actually don't think I have much if any Norwegian or Swedish in bloodline. My family is mostly English, German, Irish and Hungarian.

Total aside...seems odd there are so many Norwegians and Swedes here, but nowhere near as many Finns. I'm also slightly confused as to why they left home...and just settled in a place with weather just as shitty as the stuff they had in the place they left? Cripes, go somewhere warm. Comedian Lewis Black actually did a bit about that when he came here. He recorded that special here. I was at that show. Funny dude.

Also, how certain are we that that isn't just the ancient sign directing people to the Toyota dealership behind it?

• Haha

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Oh. Yeah, I believe you are correct, believe Conception are all from Norway.

I actually don't think I have much if any Norwegian or Swedish in bloodline. My family is mostly English, German, Irish and Hungarian.

Total aside...seems odd there are so many Norwegians and Swedes here, but nowhere near as many Finns. I'm also slightly confused as to why they left home...and just settled in a place with weather just as shitty as the stuff they had in the place they left? Cripes, go somewhere warm. Comedian Lewis Black actually did a bit about that when he came here. He recorded that special here. I was at that show. Funny dude.

Also, how certain are we that that isn't just the ancient sign directing people to the Toyota dealership behind it?
It was famine in those years, and people were starving. The snow was still left in June and the food prices were skyrocketing. Very short summers led to bad harvests.
A widespread drought occurred in 1868, which caused a failed harvest and starving animals. Thus, the famine continued.

The great famine of 1867–68, and the distrust and discontent over the way the authorities handled the relief help to the needy, is estimated to have contributed greatly to Swedish emigration to the United States, which skyrocketed around this time.

At that time, Sweden and Norway was a union, The United Kingdoms of Sweden and Norway between 1814-1905. so I guess those people traveled together on those wooden ships.

They were offered cheap land in those states, 1,25 dollar per acre, and when they wrote letters home they bragged about how good everything was which led to even more people coming over.

Finland was a part of Sweden from 1200-something to 1809. They still speak swedish in some parts of Finland and teach it in schools.
Our arch enemies have always been the Danes, lol.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,045.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis