OT: The all encompassing HFSabres music thread with no rules (as long as it’s music posted)

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
I listened to all kinds of stuff like that as well. I had some “Collection” albums that had all kinds of stuff..bubble gum, rock, pop, even soul. I loved Motown as much as Rock.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Hey, we all have secrets. :biglaugh:

I leaned more toward the Kinks for that era of artists. And then I decided I wanted to annoy people who were annoying me with their music so I leaned into punk, prog, post-punk, etc... to wear them out. I don't know if it worked, but one of those shitstains from the back of the bus got some comeuppance a few years later. He was the son of one of my grandfather's friends, we were deer hunting and the guy, now in his early 20's, wouldn't field dress the deer he'd gut shot. I think I called him a p***y and did it myself. I was 12 or 13. I can still see the look that passed between my grandfather and my dad... and that guy never gave me any trouble after that. I may have told him to do something useful and hold my gloves before I was up to my elbows gutting the thing.

I find it boring overall, but the Kinks are fantastic. They’re extremely underrated as a band that influenced music now.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I find it boring overall, but the Kinks are fantastic. They’re extremely underrated as a band that influenced music now.

There was a funny story about how Ray Davies and Tom Robinson wrote/performed songs about each other after a production and music catalog spat. Davies "Prince of Punks" was the flip side of "Father Christmas" and was Davies taking swats at Robinson.

Robinson responded with "Don't Take No for an Answer":

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
There was a funny story about how Ray Davies and Tom Robinson wrote/performed songs about each other after a production and music catalog spat. Davies "Prince of Punks" was the flip side of "Father Christmas" and was Davies taking swats at Robinson.

Robinson responded with "Don't Take No for an Answer":

Everyone says the New York Dolls influenced punk and hardcore, but I’ll argue that the Kinks were just as influential. NYD was simple chords, but the Kinks were noisy and did weird sounds and were proto-hardcore. They did just as “crunchy” sounds as hardcore punk, but had the bonus of being melodic

Reactions: Chainshot

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

I forgot about this band and this song, but when it drops it drops HARD. It puts a brick in a pillowcase and says hey

I saw them open up for Heaven And Hell in the mid 2000's at the Theater at MSG.

Here's an upcoming concert I just cannot miss with two of my favorite bands when in college in the late 90's:
Screenshot_20240530_214837_Chrome.jpg

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I saw them open up for Heaven And Hell in the mid 2000's at the Theater at MSG.

Here's an upcoming concert I just cannot miss with two of my favorite bands when in college in the late 90's:
View attachment 877795

I forgot about Mephiskapheles. And ska is such a summer genre. You get that up chord and all you can think of is hanging out in the pool and backyard bbq. Because it’s done on the half beat, but still on beat somehow.

And anybody reading that post and not getting it, check out Sublime and their song “What I Got” and you’ll understand

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I forgot about Mephiskapheles. And ska is such a summer genre. You get that up chord and all you can think of is hanging out in the pool and backyard bbq. Because it’s done on the half beat, but still on beat somehow.

And anybody reading that post and not getting it, check out Sublime and their song “What I Got” and you’ll understand
Speaking of Sublime, Bradleys son is taking over in the band.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Well, the first minute was definitely not at all what I expected.
The punchline on this one is... it's from freakin' 1971. So basically, from Sukiyaki to that in 10 years.

Impressive but maybe not as much as Britain going from Acker Bilk to Black Sabbath in 7.

Another side note... drumming in B'ham in the late 60's was really just about who could hit what the hardest, wasn't it? Bill Ward, Bev Bevan, John Bonham...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad