Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Whatever fits the narrative of them being a pathetic p***y ass team

I don’t know why they can’t be both stupid and p***yes at the same time if the narrative is so important. You’re not going to get those epic gritty playoff bounces when there’s 5 Boston players collapsed to the net, you get them when you have threats they need to cover away from the net and your shooters can generate rebounds and deflections from distance that your garbagemen have time and space to convert instead of getting the puck and instantly eating lumber.

Why do we keep getting goalie’d? Must be because we’re not shoveling enough pucks at a 6’3 acrobats pads after he’s set and ready for it with D ready to clear out any 2nd attempts. No need to bother beating the goalie clean up high like we see our goalie get beat repeatedly every year, that’s non-playoff perimeter play.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Actually, that isn't what he said at all.

He said he thinks it will be Berube, but that is just his opinion and nothing more (ie. no whispers from internal sources).
Nope, that's actually not what he said at all. Go listen to Jeff Marek
He doubled down and said Berube is Toronto's guy until he's proven wrong but it's a question of when they pull the trigger.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
And why are they not... They continue to play a perimeter game and refuse to play a harder game, drive the net and score ugly goals. The reason why Knies scored that OT goal is because Boston was so shocked that someone (JT) drove the net lol.

If you don't like the word grit, fine. In my mind, grit goes beyond "toughness". It also encompasses drive, resolve and compete. The Leafs top guys generally lack this. Berube seems to preach this.
This I completely agree with. Maybe I associated the reference to grit with toughness because of the obsession here with the latter. I agree with you on this point.

Can you back this up? Here’s a heat map of just about every shot we’ve taken in the playoffs since 2022, to me it looks like we live between the circles and generate next to nothing from distance.

I’m pretty bored of watching Tavares shovel pucks into pads personally, would be nice to have more than 2 players that are even remotely a threat from the circles.

For comparison’s sake, Berube’s cup run Blues had significantly less of their goals from in tight and did most of their damage from the slot and out in just about every series. The only series we won was the one where we barely did anything in tight and abused them from the point and circles.

I’m not saying don’t go to the net but I’m not seeing how it’s something we need to work on when it’s the only thing we’re doing good enough and the rest of the offensive zone might as well not exist for us.
I don't think it's just about where goals are scored from. I think it's more about their effort in all areas of the rink. Their offensive creativity dries up when time and space are limited.

Reactions: LeafsFan89

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This I completely agree with. Maybe I associated the reference to grit with toughness because of the obsession here with the latter. I agree with you on this point.

I don't think it's just about where goals are scored from. I think it's more about their effort in all areas of the rink. Their offensive creativity dries up when time and space are limited.

Yeah but they’re still getting shots off from “gritty” areas, they’re not getting shots from the point or from the circles the way good teams do. Time and space gets limited in the slot, sure, but we don’t really have issues getting pucks on net from there. Are they good shots with east west movement to open up lanes? Probably not, but you still get bounces on bad shots. We’re not getting shots from where Kucherov does damage from, Kucherov being a threat from there opens up Point in the slot for those bumper plays that either score or generate rebounds to attack without the D having already collapsed and ready to deal with them while the goalie needs to move and get a new read on the play.

The biggest glaring problem is that when we do get east west movement and lanes opened up, we bobble a lot of pucks and take an extra second to settle it and decide on the play to make. When they do make the play, it’s a coin flip on the shot actually hitting the net. Colorado is a threat because they execute on those plays violently and with no hesitation whatsoever, everyone knows where to be and what to do. They don’t need to be creative, they just do their job as quickly as possible.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Yeah but they’re still getting shots off from “gritty” areas, they’re not getting shots from the point or from the circles the way good teams do. Time and space gets limited in the slot, sure, but we don’t really have issues getting pucks on net from there. Are they good shots with east west movement to open up lanes? Probably not, but you still get bounces on bad shots. We’re not getting shots from where Kucherov does damage from, Kucherov being a threat from there opens up Point in the slot for those bumper plays that either score or generate rebounds to attack without the D having already collapsed and ready to deal with them while the goalie needs to move and get a new read on the play.

The biggest glaring problem is that when we do get east west movement and lanes opened up, we bobble a lot of pucks and take an extra second to settle it and decide on the play to make. When they do make the play, it’s a coin flip on the shot actually hitting the net. Colorado is a threat because they execute on those plays violently and with no hesitation whatsoever, everyone knows where to be and what to do. They don’t need to be creative, they just do their job as quickly as possible.
I don't disagree with any of this. Just highlights the need for change to the lineup.

Reactions: myleafs

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
lol most people knew Bruebe was gonna be the coach in March. He turned down other opportunities and he was on every leafs podcast available lol.

This whole thing burns my freaking ass. I am so pissed at mlse knowing they could have canned that freaking 4% pp piece of shit coach Keefe around the ASG when the team was sliding. Its just one bs weak ass move after another with these guys. Over and over they worry about optics and inclusion and everything about the thing people care about most. Winning

I swear if Bell Rogers didnt basically have a monopoly on coms I would not give them a cent.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
That's all good... but then there is this...

It makes me think he may be a bad guy...

The evidence in the documents also absolve Coach Q a little bit. The issue was reported to Stan Bowman by an assistant coach. Bowman reported to John McDonugh who said he’d take care of it and he ultimately didn’t. The only part of the situation where Q should be held accountable is, there was bullying and name calling that occurred after the entire coaching staff was made aware of the situation and coach Q did not stop it. For that there should be some sort of discipline. But the failure to report is on John McDonough and Stan Bowman.

Reactions: Brobust

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Here's why Joel Quenneville will never be the coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs and it has nothing to do with ethics: he comes with added pressure and the leafs are loathe to do anything that might add to the 'noise' of the market.

They are a bunch of cowards who refuse to do anything with conviction. Oh, but they have conviction in their plan. No, they are plain scared of making moves and being aggressive and tuning out the noise. This is a group that kept Justin Holl after his egregious Game 5 mistake against Columbus because they were afraid that couldn't replace him. JUSTIN HOLL! They are the kid with every tool and resource at their disposal who flunks every exam because his bladder spasms every time he gets near the exam hall.

By the way, I don't care about Quenneville and if more knowledgeable people feel like he shouldn't coach then I will take their word for it. But I do know that there are organizations that don't care because their job is to succeed.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Not that excited about Berube.

Randy Carlyle won a cup as well didn't he? In 3 years a coach can go from champion to a terrible reputation.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Not that excited about Berube.

Randy Carlyle won a cup as well didn't he? In 3 years a coach can go from champion to a terrible reputation.

You’re not bringing in a Berube type for his X’s and O’s. You’re bringing him in to reset the locker room culture, establish accountability and motivate the group on a nightly basis. That is why he is bringing in an associate who has NHL head coaching experience who will more than likely be the X’s and O’s Guy. That’s my understanding of what is going to happen. The staff will go under complete overhaul

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You’re not bringing in a Berube type for his X’s and O’s. You’re bringing him in to reset the locker room culture, establish accountability and motivate the group on a nightly basis. That is why he is bringing in an associate who has NHL head coaching experience who will more than likely be the X’s and O’s Guy. That’s my understanding of what is going to happen. The staff will go under complete overhaul
We just need an X’s and O’s Guy. Our old plan was leave it up to the players to decide the best plan of action.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The evidence in the documents also absolve Coach Q a little bit. The issue was reported to Stan Bowman by an assistant coach. Bowman reported to John McDonugh who said he’d take care of it and he ultimately didn’t. The only part of the situation where Q should be held accountable is, there was bullying and name calling that occurred after the entire coaching staff was made aware of the situation and coach Q did not stop it. For that there should be some sort of discipline. But the failure to report is on John McDonough and Stan Bowman.

Interesting.

I haven't followed it much, the drama around the sport introduces me a lot less.

I was just pointing out that an approval by Tim Peel is not a great thing.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

This isn't a coach who's coaching children, where you have some obligation to supervise.

All these players were grown men, so while he probably should have done something more, he didn't have any real obligation.

horner

May 22, 2007
I valued his opinion. As for Leafs' defence? What did he say that was wrong.? Our best dman since 1967 is Salming who was not even drafted. We've sucked at drafting and developing dmen and goalies.

This organization let the Bruins scoop up Orr from under their noses after their GM was told to go check the kid out in Perry Sound and he made the mistake not to.
Know thar would be a leaf thing to do.
Oops

Beanzy

Nov 14, 2018
I was really hoping the NHL would reinstate Q. Tough to argue with a resume that includes 3 cups as HC, 1 as AC and 2nd all time in wins.

Not that excited about Berube, honestly.

• Love
Reactions: Frostitute

myleafs

May 25, 2021
And who on the Leafs will be doing the forechecking? As for grit, I can't wait until this argument falls away. Is Dallas gritty? The Rangers? This idea that there is one path to success (i.e., toughness) is irrational. The Leafs had oodles of grit this year, and it resulted in the same outcome. Turns out grit can't score in the playoffs either. Toughness isn't about how much you can hit or pointing at your biceps like a wrestler - it's about how strong you are at pushing through and creating opportunities, or stopping opposing opportunities, when time and space decrease. Vancouver has piles of grit on its backend, and none of it is helping their best offensive player figure out how to succeed when he doesn't have nearly as much time and space as he has in the regular season. More than anything else, the Leafs need their best players to be their best players when time and space are limited. So far, that hasn't happened with enough consistency. I still think it can, and maybe Berube is the guy who can bring it out of them, but it won't be because of how much grit the team adds.
I have not seen anyone in here say that. I think most in here understand that grit and toughness does not equal knuckle dragger.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Here's why Joel Quenneville will never be the coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs and it has nothing to do with ethics: he comes with added pressure and the leafs are loathe to do anything that might add to the 'noise' of the market.

They are a bunch of cowards who refuse to do anything with conviction. Oh, but they have conviction in their plan. No, they are plain scared of making moves and being aggressive and tuning out the noise. This is a group that kept Justin Holl after his egregious Game 5 mistake against Columbus because they were afraid that couldn't replace him. JUSTIN HOLL! They are the kid with every tool and resource at their disposal who flunks every exam because his bladder spasms every time he gets near the exam hall.

By the way, I don't care about Quenneville and if more knowledgeable people feel like he shouldn't coach then I will take their word for it. But I do know that there are organizations that don't care because their job is to succeed.

Agreed. Management acts scared and it trickles down to the players.

Reactions: The Masters

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad