Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Gotta wonder if they’re waiting for Brind’Amour, otherwise why isn’t Berube signed already?
I'm guessing both parties are doing their due diligence with all other options.

The Leafs making sure they at least have conversations with other candidates, whereas Berube is speaking to all the other teams interested in his services as he probably won't get this leverage & opportunity again.

What term would they give Berube? Two year?
3 or 4 years, or 3 with an option, seems to be the most typical thing.

At $3 - $4m a year?

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Idk who I want - Berube or Rod the Bod. Berube seems to coach the game how I would like - forecheck and grit.... Brind’Amour seems to prefer defensive systems, which the Leafs are certainly not. So I don't know if he fits.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
I gotta think Berube also wants a certain type of team. As much as the Leafs would want him, he might have also mandated a personnel change.

A different coach with the same core and minor pieces being shuffled around wont make one iota of difference.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
This has honestly been the worst kept secret from the moment Keefe was fired.

Same thing happened last year with Treliving. Tons of smoke before it happened.

Same thing with Babcock, Burke, Carlyle, etc. Plenty of awful player trade rumours get thrown around, but the media generally seems pretty accurate on the coaching/management side?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Idk who I want - Berube or Rod the Bod. Berube seems to coach the game how I would like - forecheck and grit.... Brind’Amour seems to prefer defensive systems, which the Leafs are certainly not. So I don't know if he fits.
And who on the Leafs will be doing the forechecking? As for grit, I can't wait until this argument falls away. Is Dallas gritty? The Rangers? This idea that there is one path to success (i.e., toughness) is irrational. The Leafs had oodles of grit this year, and it resulted in the same outcome. Turns out grit can't score in the playoffs either. Toughness isn't about how much you can hit or pointing at your biceps like a wrestler - it's about how strong you are at pushing through and creating opportunities, or stopping opposing opportunities, when time and space decrease. Vancouver has piles of grit on its backend, and none of it is helping their best offensive player figure out how to succeed when he doesn't have nearly as much time and space as he has in the regular season. More than anything else, the Leafs need their best players to be their best players when time and space are limited. So far, that hasn't happened with enough consistency. I still think it can, and maybe Berube is the guy who can bring it out of them, but it won't be because of how much grit the team adds.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
And who on the Leafs will be doing the forechecking? As for grit, I can't wait until this argument falls away. Is Dallas gritty? The Rangers? This idea that there is one path to success (i.e., toughness) is irrational. The Leafs had oodles of grit this year, and it resulted in the same outcome. Turns out grit can't score in the playoffs either. Toughness isn't about how much you can hit or pointing at your biceps like a wrestler - it's about how strong you are at pushing through and creating opportunities, or stopping opposing opportunities, when time and space decrease. Vancouver has piles of grit on its backend, and none of it is helping their best offensive player figure out how to succeed when he doesn't have nearly as much time and space as he has in the regular season. More than anything else, the Leafs need their best players to be their best players when time and space are limited. So far, that hasn't happened with enough consistency. I still think it can, and maybe Berube is the guy who can bring it out of them, but it won't be because of how much grit the team adds.
And why are they not... They continue to play a perimeter game and refuse to play a harder game, drive the net and score ugly goals. The reason why Knies scored that OT goal is because Boston was so shocked that someone (JT) drove the net lol.

If you don't like the word grit, fine. In my mind, grit goes beyond "toughness". It also encompasses drive, resolve and compete. The Leafs top guys generally lack this. Berube seems to preach this.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Leafs to Berube...
Screenshot_20240516_142824.jpg

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
And why are they not... They continue to play a perimeter game and refuse to play a harder game, drive the net and score ugly goals. The reason why Knies scored that OT goal is because Boston was so shocked that someone (JT) drove the net lol.

If you don't like the word grit, fine. In my mind, grit goes beyond "toughness". It also encompasses drive, resolve and compete. The Leafs top guys generally lack this. Berube seems to preach this.

Can you back this up? Here’s a heat map of just about every shot we’ve taken in the playoffs since 2022, to me it looks like we live between the circles and generate next to nothing from distance.

I’m pretty bored of watching Tavares shovel pucks into pads personally, would be nice to have more than 2 players that are even remotely a threat from the circles.

For comparison’s sake, Berube’s cup run Blues had significantly less of their goals from in tight and did most of their damage from the slot and out in just about every series. The only series we won was the one where we barely did anything in tight and abused them from the point and circles.

I’m not saying don’t go to the net but I’m not seeing how it’s something we need to work on when it’s the only thing we’re doing good enough and the rest of the offensive zone might as well not exist for us.

Attachments

• C8890B50-6BD1-42C5-8F74-BDC154078750.jpeg
    C8890B50-6BD1-42C5-8F74-BDC154078750.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: authentic

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You think he's the right choice? I think Brad has a real tough task to transform this team into a Berube type team. Going to take 2 off-seasons IMO

Wasn't my first choice but there is definitely some work to do on G/D

Q / Sullivan / Cooper never became available.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Can you back this up? Here’s a heat map of just about every shot we’ve taken in the playoffs since 2022, to me it looks like we live between the circles and generate next to nothing from distance.

I’m pretty bored of watching Tavares shovel pucks into pads personally, would be nice to have more than 2 players that are even remotely a threat from the circles.

For comparison’s sake, Berube’s cup run Blues had significantly less of their goals from in tight and did most of their damage from the slot and out in just about every series. The only series we won was the one where we barely did anything in tight and abused them from the point and circles.

I’m not saying don’t go to the net but I’m not seeing how it’s something we need to work on when it’s the only thing we’re doing good enough and the rest of the offensive zone might as well not exist for us.

Whatever fits the narrative of them being a pathetic p***y ass team

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Trelviving is probably doing due diligence on more candidates and wants to interview more people just so he can feel better about the hire.

I expect Berube to get hired by this weekend

Reactions: TimeZone

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Trelviving is probably doing due diligence on more candidates and wants to interview more people just so he can feel better about the hire.

I expect Berube to get hired by this weekend

Maybe he is hired and to pay respect to Dutchy passing today they will announce it tomorrow.

Am sure they will be a presser. A weekend presser is unlikely. Maybe Friday or Monday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad