Shanahan's Plan to Restore Respectability

Is Toronto's reputation across the NHL better or worse than it was before Shanahan was hired?

• Better

Votes: 58 47.5%
  • Worse

Votes: 64 52.5%

• Total voters

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
For a decade Toronto was one of the best NHL teams in terms of winning. The Pat Burns/Quinn eras were great. 4 semi final appearances and some great Series vs a team of hall of fame players (DET), and some super talented OTT teams. So many emotional moments, great players, heart, toughness, skill, and goaltending. So many people you could really cheer for.

The memory of that era is fading. I can't even believe it's taken so long and it's so difficult to be winners again.

It's pathetic that this franchises "glory days" since expansion is four Final Four appearances from '92 to '04, and even that seems like an aberration when you consider how this team fared for most of the 70's, all of the 80's, and since the 04/05 lockout.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Everyone thinks o boy 11 million in cap space. Go by past experiences and all of a sudden it’s not as rewarding,
That may be true and that is certainly a danger however we do know the status quo is not getting it done. For 11 million Marner has done nothing to move us forward in the playoffs. As risky as it may be it is high time to move on from him not extend him for 7-8 more years at even more money

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
That may be true and that is certainly a danger however we do know the status quo is not getting it done. For 11 million Marner has done nothing to move us forward in the playoffs. As risky as it may be it is high time to move on from him not extend him for 7-8 more years at even more money
It’s not status quo, there is a new coach, geez and there is like at least 16 other guys that don’t have NMC’s who have done squat in the playoffs

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Ŕestoring respectability as the title mentions can only happen with A Stanley Cup Victory. 57 years and we still talk about 1993 no major penalty call against Gretz. The Leafs and Rangers only have respect because of money.
The Rangers are fighting to gain respect with only one victory since Rocket and Pocket were team mates.
None of Shannys teams have gained us any respect.
Make it to the conference finals and be competitive and thats a good start for me.....Watching the final 4, Berube has his work cut out for him.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

TheGreenTBer

Angry HFBoards Drama Queen since 2005
Apr 30, 2021
Everyone thinks o boy 11 million in cap space. Go by past experiences and all of a sudden it’s not as rewarding,
200.webp

• Haha
Reactions: Arzak and Confucius

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
It’s not status quo, there is a new coach, geez and there is like at least 16 other guys that don’t have NMC’s who have done squat in the playoffs
If the core that is killing the team from a cap percentage remain then yes it is basically status quo. As far as the other 16 guys yes they need to be upgraded as well but they have been swapped out with other scrubs for the last 6 years and it’s hard to make improvements in critical areas with the teams cap structure so yes it is status quo…….unless you think the new coach can turn Marner, matthews and Tavares into play off studs

Make it to the conference finals and be competitive and thats a good start for me.....Watching the final 4, Berube has his work cut out for him.
We are so far away from being a committed final 4 teams it’s sad

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
This screams validation to some stupid perception of the Toronto market.

"come here, get paid for mediocrity - make your bank then go play somewhere else for real!"
He was never smart. He's a nice guy, but he never was better than the other coach. He never did something clever to ensure his team pulled out a closing game. The hilarious thing is that the 1 series TOR actually won (under Keefe) was through getting bounces, great play by ROR, and a struggling Vasileskiy. Otherwise he would have been 0 for. I can't just take that series win away from Toronto just because I'm emotional. But holy god! They never won that series because he outcoached the other guy.

Late in the season (23-24) Toronto had injuries and a Rielly suspension. Keefe lucked his way into winning games through using his depth.
Lines 1 - 3 looked balanced and difficult to match up (at last). For the first time we saw Tavares play the 3rd line C position. He was great and he played successfully against other 3rd lines. Keefe could have learned from that, but no. He went back to stacking the top 6, and took that same line combinations into a series vs. Boston. On paper TOR was the better team.

Year after year it's been the same with Keefe. He's not a good coach. Regular season success just isn't good enough.

This latest dis by Sheldon has me pretty pissed off. Why did he have to perpetuate such stupidity? There's a reason you're a punch line Sheldon.

Good riddance. You're nothing but a scrub, bush-wacking, lowlife, piece of shit, and bad coach.

Reactions: Arzak

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
He was never smart. He's a nice guy, but he never was better than the other coach. He never did something clever to ensure his team pulled out a closing game. The hilarious thing is that the 1 series TOR actually won (under Keefe) was through getting bounces, great play by ROR, and a struggling Vasileskiy. Otherwise he would have been 0 for. I can't just take that series win away from Toronto just because I'm emotional. But holy god! They never won that series because he outcoached the other guy.

Late in the season (23-24) Toronto had injuries and a Rielly suspension. Keefe lucked his way into winning games through using his depth.
Lines 1 - 3 looked balanced and difficult to match up (at last). For the first time we saw Tavares play the 3rd line C position. He was great and he played successfully against other 3rd lines. Keefe could have learned from that, but no. He went back to stacking the top 6, and took that same line combinations into a series vs. Boston. On paper TOR was the better team.

Year after year it's been the same with Keefe. He's not a good coach. Regular season success just isn't good enough.

This latest dis by Sheldon has me pretty pissed off. Why did he have to perpetuate such stupidity? There's a reason you're a punch line Sheldon.

Good riddance. You're nothing but a scrub, bush-wacking, lowlife, piece of shit, and bad coach.

All valid points.

Sadly he has one of the best regular season records now :D

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Hard to believe the Devils pounced to get him. We should see how good Keefe is this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad