Coach Discussion: Rick Bowness - Jack Adams Finalist

How would you grade Rick Bowness so far at the 1/4 mark?

• A- to A+

Votes: 149 67.1%
  • B- to B+

Votes: 46 20.7%
  • C- to C+

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • D- to D+

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • F

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Could probably adjust the near worst penalty kill in the league that is getting f***ing destroyed every night and losing us games.

The Jets are not as talented as the Avs, for sure, but it should have been a lot closer in level of play. We have been getting worked every game, and Helle ain't bailing us out.

Yeah, our special teams have been a disaster for years now and Bones hasn't been able to make a difference. Maybe our special teams coach should have been fired years ago. And the Avs #1 Center has TWICE as many points as our #1 Center, and over two and a half times as many power play points.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Yeah, our special teams have been a disaster for years now and Bones hasn't been able to make a difference. Maybe our special teams coach should have been fired years ago. And the Avs #1 Center has TWICE as many points as our #1 Center, and over two and a half times as many power play points.
I would assume Bowness gets some say in his assistants and who is running special teams so I am not going to absolve him from that blame.

Yeah, it's a failure from top to bottom (though I will say Mackinnon only has 2 ES points, pointing again to our shit penalty kill). Morrissey and Lowry are probably the only 2 Jets having a good series.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I would assume Bowness gets some say in his assistants and who is running special teams so I am not going to absolve him from that blame.

Yeah, it's a failure from top to bottom (though I will say Mackinnon only has 2 ES points, pointing again to our shit penalty kill). Morrissey and Lowry are probably the only 2 Jets having a good series.
I think you could make a case for Nino being good enough if you replaced other pieces.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Bowness is guilty of something a coach sshould never do- he gave up. In the third period, he reverted to the lineups we had in the first 4 games, in spite of the Game 5 lines being far more effective.

However, if that was not bad enough, with just over 5 minutes left, facing elimination, Bowness and the Jets team just sat there and pouted, while the Avalanche players were huddled together, while their coach drew up plays, engaging with them. That is an offense that should cost Bowness his job.

If Don Cherry can get canned for a "too many men" penalty, after 5 years as a top level NHL coach, Bowness should be asked to resign.

Interesting to see the cracks forming again with the comments from 55 and Bones. Sounds a lot like last year. Gotta wonder if Bones even wants to return next year, and if not.....I'm a little fearful it's gonna be inmates running the asylum under Arneil.

Arniel is not an NHL coach. If the Jets hire Arniel, who in his limited experience as an NHL coach, was terrible, they deserve to miss the playoffs.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Jets fire a coach? Our last coach begged to be fired and they wouldn't do it. Maurice pretty much said he was out of ideas in the media. He had to quit. Then rather than find a new coach and try to save the season they went with Lowry. I haven't seen an assistant coach promoted who was so out of his depth since the Bombers gave Doug Berry the HC job.

That being said the regular season was good enough to give Bones another run back.

Reactions: WolfHouse

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Jets fire a coach? Our last coach begged to be fired and they wouldn't do it. Maurice pretty much said he was out of ideas in the media. He had to quit. Then rather than find a new coach and try to save the season they went with Lowry. I haven't seen an assistant coach promoted who was so out of his depth since the Bombers gave Doug Berry the HC job.

That being said the regular season was good enough to give Bones another run back.
Why remind me of Doug Berry... why....

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Bones will be back if he wants to be back. He may opt to retire though.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Bowness is guilty of something a coach sshould never do- he gave up. In the third period, he reverted to the lineups we had in the first 4 games, in spite of the Game 5 lines being far more effective.

However, if that was not bad enough, with just over 5 minutes left, facing elimination, Bowness and the Jets team just sat there and pouted, while the Avalanche players were huddled together, while their coach drew up plays, engaging with them. That is an offense that should cost Bowness his job.

If Don Cherry can get canned for a "too many men" penalty, after 5 years as a top level NHL coach, Bowness should be asked to resign.

Arniel is not an NHL coach. If the Jets hire Arniel, who in his limited experience as an NHL coach, was terrible, they deserve to miss the playoffs.
What you are describing is true, but I would judge Bones less harshly. Not saying anything I haven't said before here-- Bones is at the end of his coaching career and just did not have the energy, flexibility or creativity to adjust on short notice. That is a part, but not all of the reason we failed in the playoffs. He did bring a very good defensive structure to the team this year, but that was based on years of experience. Adjusting in the playoffs requires a different sort of nimbleness and that reservoir was empty.

Bowness will not be fired or asked to resign, but he will not be back. He is smart enough to know that and if he hesitates his wife and kids will set him straight. He will be given the fond farewell that he deserves.

We should be grateful and respectful for all that Bones has done for Winnipeg hockey over the years. The Jets organization knew exactly what they were getting when they hired him and should be held entirely accountable for the results.

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

This is precisely the difference between Vegas and the Jets. Vegas management values winning above else. True North (as Honorable as it seems), values loyalty, even at the expense of losing.

Jets fans can expect to Look fwd to Bowness signing a 4 year extension this summer.

If they don't? They will hire Arneil, who will make Bowness look like Scotty Bowman.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
This is precisely the difference between Vegas and the Jets. Vegas management values winning above else. True North (as Honorable as it seems), values loyalty, even at the expense of losing.

Jets fans can expect to Look fwd to Bowness signing a 4 year extension this summer.

If they don't? They will hire Arneil, who will make Bowness look like Scotty Bowman.
lol, I like your style

Bowness was plan B1 and probably will go 1 more unless the club exercises its option to move on.
You are correct Arniel was plan B2, he is definitely next up.
This organization will likely have some attachment to former alumni.
Strangely enough Maurice didn’t have ties but he could sell “beyond meat” burgers to Sumo wrestlers , he obviously had some sway over the organization.
Buckle up, everything will be justified in a future presser

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
lol, I like your style

Bowness was plan B1 and probably will go 1 more unless the club exercises its option to move on.
You are correct Arniel was plan B2, he is definitely next up.
This organization will likely have some attachment to former alumni.
Strangely enough Maurice didn’t have ties but he could sell “beyond meat” burgers to Sumo wrestlers , he obviously had some sway over the organization.
Buckle up, everything will be justified in a future presser
OPR2.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Eyeseeing

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Reporter: Rick any thoughts about the last few days?

Rick: yes I should have played
2–5-27-23-22-37 on a hunch more often.

Reporter: what kind of line up is that ?

Rick: line up? That’s my 649 ticket

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
My guess is if it’s Bones option to exercise, he will just use it to get a mutual settlement and everyone gets their wish and Rick retires.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013

Woah... does this make him unfireable? He no doubt instilled a very effective defensive game in this team, and they are considerably better right now than they were two years ago. A lot of that is due to Chevy's work on the roster, but Bowness certainly has his strengths and the year-over-year regular season improvement is undeniable.

On the other hand, his personnel choices are baffling and appeal to some sort of voodoo sorceress named "guts" rather than the objective reality that the rest of us share.

Just another factor to weigh in an already fascinating off-season.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The lack of a potent PP was his Achilles.
PK was even worster . Bowness did a fantastic job during the regular season but after finishing 4th overall in the NHL how we played in the playoffs is unacceptable to me. And after Arniel went 10-2-2 during the regular season with Bowness out i wouldn't be against giving Arniel a shot as head coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $210.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs USA
    France vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $225.00