OT: OT - Yes, you're next... you're sooo next

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
They're all different in their traits and personalities albeit generally falling within breed norms. I wouldn't want / need the advanced guard training but my police contact ie my landlord says that his K9 handlers wouldn't mind a bit of extra income to train the pup to a high degree
Guard dogs are nice but I have a better idea:

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Didn't the poor German Shepherds also end up falling out of favor due to being the dog of choice for the Bull Connor's of the world to sic on protesters which gave them a negative public image?
They fell out of favor more because of breed defects due to way too much interbreeding. Then with the Malinois being as intelligent, more athletic in a slightly smaller package they became the more popular choice

Reactions: sabremike

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Didn't the poor German Shepherds also end up falling out of favor due to being the dog of choice for the Bull Connor's of the world to sic on protesters which gave them a negative public image?

I've read that is a factor. Also that they bond really strongly with their trainer/handler and with working dogs, that can be problematic.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Well shit. I just had one of the foster kids we had growing up just show up, and man is she ever f***ed up. Half naked, feet full of blisters, arguing with people that aren’t there, so clearly on meth and suffering from mental issues. I know she hasn’t had the best life before, but it was really sad to see. I bandaged her feet, let her shower, and fed her and then she left. She wanted money, but I refused that because I know where that was going.

Update: she called the cops on me. And decided to stay around to see what happened. I didn’t know this until all of a sudden 3 cop cars showed up, and it consisted of us shooting the shit with each other. I stopped her from getting arrested (she should have for her own good), now I’m a “rat”, but she got a meal paid for.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Update: she called the cops on me. And decided to stay around to see what happened. I didn’t know this until all of a sudden 3 cop cars showed up, and it consisted of us shooting the shit with each other. I stopped her from getting arrested (she should have for her own good), now I’m a “rat”, but she got a meal paid for.
Some people you just can't help

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Some people you just can't help
Pretty much. I don’t care. Where I live the cops aren’t shoot first then ask questions. It just was amusing because she was long gone, but as soon as I saw those sirens I knew why they were here. So I’ll chill in auto cuffs, and then they realized that there’s no reason for that as I make fun of them. Yea, arrest me for saying you’re a goddamned idiot, and please bootf*** me so you give me more money. It really throws them off because they want to do that, but the hamster runs on that brain wheel so they don’t know if that’s right.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Well shit. I just had one of the foster kids we had growing up just show up, and man is she ever f***ed up. Half naked, feet full of blisters, arguing with people that aren’t there, so clearly on meth and suffering from mental issues. I know she hasn’t had the best life before, but it was really sad to see. I bandaged her feet, let her shower, and fed her and then she left. She wanted money, but I refused that because I know where that was going.

Update to this: I had the cops show up about this. As soon as she left she went to the police station saying I kidnapped her. This pisses me off, especially considering the f***ing bullshit I already dealt with this weekend. And @Chainshot can confirm that I did not have the best weekend

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not turning the BWC on in the very moment a scenario becomes non-BWC worthy to BWC mandatory is not necessarily a very wrong action (non-action). There's too many situations where it's unreasonable to expect an officer to turn it on, even when it's written in policy.

OTOH, what I read showed this officer was only there due to the fatal accident and not part of the regular off-duty LEOs working the event. These events require a stupid amount of planning and traffic can easily become a cluster if an officer isn't experienced or familiar with the logistics of the event plan. I can safely bet that the officer had no idea of the protocols for players to get around traffic, and probably got all personally bent when an SUV tried going past him, without understanding how easy it is for drivers to not understand which officer is yelling which command at the moment.

If he did actually latch onto the passing vehicle, well that's just dumb and creating your own injurious situation, that would be chalked up as a learning experience for young/rookie officers. It's easy to make other assumptions about the guy, but at the least it's a weak case that just doesn't lend itself to being reasonable/believable. The DA's office might hang onto the charges for a bit just so they don't seem like their giving a famous guy special treatment, but it's pretty doubtful the whole thing doesn't get canned at some point.

I'd bet a hefty amount that this officer never gets assigned to that event in the future, if he ever tries to sign up.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
That's a good video to shed some more light on what Scheffler was thinking. The officer in that video is doing a good job of calmly reviewing what happened, but those yellow vests don't really signify much when every last show-pro at ball games uses them. I've seen this stuff happen first-hand - show pros/event staff tell drivers one thing and cops say another. It can get confusing and irritating, and people tend to blow off the show/pro when there's a contradiction. He should have stopped anyway, but it's dumb and escalating to reach through and grab/hit a driver and latch onto a moving vehicle. Clearly Scheffler wasn't part of the fatal wreck and clearly he wasn't about to run anyone else over or into another car. Trying to stop him at any cost wasn't necessary or smart. They both got impatient and none of it needed to go the way it did.

Reactions: Jim Bob

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
That's a good video to shed some more light on what Scheffler was thinking. The officer in that video is doing a good job of calmly reviewing what happened, but those yellow vests don't really signify much when every last show-pro at ball games uses them. I've seen this stuff happen first-hand - show pros/event staff tell drivers one thing and cops say another. It can get confusing and irritating, and people tend to blow off the show/pro when there's a contradiction. He should have stopped anyway, but it's dumb and escalating to reach through and grab/hit a driver and latch onto a moving vehicle. Clearly Scheffler wasn't part of the fatal wreck and clearly he wasn't about to run anyone else over or into another car. Trying to stop him at any cost wasn't necessary or smart. They both got impatient and none of it needed to go the way it did.
on top of that, every other pro there was doing the exact same thing as Scottie to get to the course. not saying it's right, but if every other f***ing golfer is making that move, why was he singled out?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
on top of that, every other pro there was doing the exact same thing as Scottie to get to the course. not saying it's right, but if every other f***ing golfer is making that move, why was he singled out?
There might have been a reason to stop all traffic at just that moment (move EMS or PD cars away from the scene) but what really doesn't sit well with me is an officer doing something dumb to get himself hurt, and then taking it out on the driver with semi-bogus assault charges. Yeah in the moment maybe Scheffler seemed like he was purposefully disregarding traffic commands from a LEO, but no reasonable officer should be charging him as if he intentionally hit/dragged him once the dust settled. It's the kind of scenario where you maybe yell at someone but let them on their way after. I haven't had to direct traffic for decades, I work on the inside of major events in an entirely different capacity. I see the massive amount of patience officers need during traffic direction though...during long shifts in shitty weather...but you need to keep calm.

Reactions: oldgoalie

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
20231020_211229.jpg

Happy World Otter Day to all who celebrate!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad