OT: OT - Yes, you're next... you're sooo next

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Just have to share this somewhere and idk why but choosing here….

I feel very stuck lately. I’m burnt out at work constantly due to changes at work and being put in a situation where I’m doing the work of two different departments and I’m not sleeping well. The insurance they changed to at work is horrible and it honestly makes me wary to go to the doctor because it won’t be inexpensive. And all things considered (pay, them paying for my college classes, vacation/sick time etc.) the looking I’ve done nothing will come close to meeting that. I can do with college classes being paid for but can’t take too big of a pay cut to go elsewhere and would prefer to not lose too much vacation/sick time.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Just have to share this somewhere and idk why but choosing here….

I feel very stuck lately. I’m burnt out at work constantly due to changes at work and being put in a situation where I’m doing the work of two different departments and I’m not sleeping well. The insurance they changed to at work is horrible and it honestly makes me wary to go to the doctor because it won’t be inexpensive. And all things considered (pay, them paying for my college classes, vacation/sick time etc.) the looking I’ve done nothing will come close to meeting that. I can do with college classes being paid for but can’t take too big of a pay cut to go elsewhere and would prefer to not lose too much vacation/sick time.
I am in a similar spot in that I'm not loving my current role at work. But, with 6 weeks of PTO starting this year and where my salary is at, I have a hard time expecting that I could find something that would be a better fit without a paycut that we cannot afford for me to take as we are barely keeping our heads above water as is.

And I can't really talk about it with my wife because she feels guilty that she makes so much less than I do. But I'm just happy that she has a stable job with good benefits and the best pay since we have been together.

I am thinking I will need to hold on for at least 4 years. At that point, I will no longer have to pay child support to my ex-wife. That will significantly improve our financial state as I am currently paying her roughly 25% of my gross pay between child support and the 63% of medical costs for the kids.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The rarest coffee in the world is picked from civet shit. I won’t be partaking since I have always thought that started as some emperor has new clothes BS and it kept going… but true.
FB_IMG_1715870872519.jpg

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
For those who have lived in the Buffalo radio market, I just read that long time Buffalo DJ - Jim Santella - has passed away at age 86. He was really big on the local scene when I was much younger and worked for and helped establish some local progressive rock stations and later in life when he was no longer a full time radio personality hosted jazz and blues shows on the local public radio stations. I think it's fair to say that in his early days, he was somewhat of an innovator an pioneer who helped make progressive music radio a reality in Buffalo. As I was a big progressive rock guy back in the which led me to both jazz and blues, I was a frequent listener. Here's the short piece from the Buffalo News:

"Jim Santella, a celebrated DJ whose velvety voice was heard on Buffalo radio in a variety of formats for more than 40 years, died Friday in his Amherst home. He was 86.​
Beginning at the University at Buffalo radio station, WBFO-FM, when he was a student, he played progressive rock at WYSL-FM, country music on WWOL, helped start the 97 Rock format, was program director at WUWU-FM and played jazz on WEBR.​
He also wrote music and theater reviews for The Buffalo News and, with Anthony Chase, started the "Theater Talk" radio feature in 1992.​
Funeral arrangements are incomplete."​

For those board members who remember him and the early days the development of FM radio in Buffalo, I saw this piece today on Buffalo Rising about Jim Santella. It's a nice remembrance of and tribute to his career and the impact he had on local FM radio:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It's Butker's right to say what he said. He has his opinion, you have yours.

It actually does mean you get to say what you want when you want. Literally. That's not only in the actual language of the amendment but also explained in rewrites of Madison's original language for the 1st Amendment. There are some laws established by precedent which limit free speech, but they are limited in nature and pretty specific.

Everyone should always be prepared to face the ramifications of what they say or write. And no one should be afraid of it. There's too many people who see cancel culture or social media "wrath" as reasons to not let their opinions out. And that's not good.

Again, eh, not everywhere. I've lived in and worked in non-urban parts of Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Louisiana, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Iowa, and Indiana. There's a lot of folks in this country who would have no issues with what he said.

Bouncing around the country and world as a military officer really widened my perspective of the country. Rural NY is a heck of a lot different than rural South Carolina. It might as well be another planet from Texas. There are conversations I have here in SC that people couldn't even relate to in NY.
Come to think of it, Youre right. Trying to refrain from getting political. Walking a fine line, I know.

I travel through the deep south and still see confederate flags. My cousin is a military man who flew drones. He's way up there now. If you talked to him about anything other than the Confederates and Ukraine, a lot of his views would fit in well down south.

We were talking around a campfire once about confederate statues being taken down, and I was surprised at how candid he was in support of it. He truly views them as traitors, and Ive wondered if that view is held by most military men in the north?

He's an amazing source to talk to about the weapons we're giving to Ukraine, too. Forget the politics surrounding it. It's just really telling how powerful our 1st generation military stuff is given what we're lending to Ukraine. I love talking to guys in the military about it. We have a bunch on our unit, too. Healthcare seems to be a draw for them.

Anyways, hopefully I didn't cross any lines. I want to avoid the politics of it all, but it is interesting that we're still seeing some ramifications of the civil war today, though it has dampened. That tension has never truly went away. And the Ukraine stuff just intrigues me to no end. Everything surrounding that war is sad but also so captivating. I hope we can talk about the logistics of it while also keeping politics out of it, but that's for @Chainshot to decide, haha

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Come to think of it, Youre right. Trying to refrain from getting political. Walking a fine line, I know.

I travel through the deep south and still see confederate flags. My cousin is a military man who flew drones. He's way up there now. If you talked to him about anything other than the Confederates and Ukraine, a lot of his views would fit in well down south.

We were talking around a campfire once about confederate statues being taken down, and I was surprised at how candid he was in support of it. He truly views them as traitors, and Ive wondered if that view is held by most military men in the north?

He's an amazing source to talk to about the weapons we're giving to Ukraine, too. Forget the politics surrounding it. It's just really telling how powerful our 1st generation military stuff is given what we're lending to Ukraine. I love talking to guys in the military about it. We have a bunch on our unit, too. Healthcare seems to be a draw for them.

Anyways, hopefully I didn't cross any lines. I want to avoid the politics of it all, but it is interesting that we're still seeing some ramifications of the civil war today, though it has dampened. That tension has never truly went away. And the Ukraine stuff just intrigues me to no end. Everything surrounding that war is sad but also so captivating. I hope we can talk about the logistics of it while also keeping politics out of it, but that's for @Chainshot to decide, haha
Some thoughts, while trying not to get too political, which is really what a military person is supposed to be.

No one really cares about the confederate memories in the south. You'll get some families who get upset but the vast majority of people don't care.

I'm not a fan of taking down statues. I'm kind of like France - that's part of our history and we need to remember it, good and bad. Now, if the statue is glorfying something awful, sure. But there should be places where we go learn about things which aren't exactly great in the country's history.

But folks up north need to realize that they've got some serious issues too. Somewhat bigger than down south. I'd encourage anyone to come live in the non-tourist areas of the south for a bit and see what you think. It's probably not aligned with your mental model.

I can't talk too much about the Ukraine without getting into things you don't type in chat rooms. Additionally, I talk to a British liaison there weekly for the purposes of leader training in the Ukrainian Army. I'll just say that I don't read any media reports on what's going on there because I don't really enjoy fiction.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I wonder how many people that are critical of Butker's speech have actually read the whole thing considering hes a Catholic, giving a speech at a Catholic University and spends the first half of the speech calling out the church and spoke form traditional Catholic viewpoints.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Some thoughts, while trying not to get too political, which is really what a military person is supposed to be.

No one really cares about the confederate memories in the south. You'll get some families who get upset but the vast majority of people don't care.

I'm not a fan of taking down statues. I'm kind of like France - that's part of our history and we need to remember it, good and bad. Now, if the statue is glorfying something awful, sure. But there should be places where we go learn about things which aren't exactly great in the country's history.

But folks up north need to realize that they've got some serious issues too. Somewhat bigger than down south. I'd encourage anyone to come live in the non-tourist areas of the south for a bit and see what you think. It's probably not aligned with your mental model.

I can't talk too much about the Ukraine without getting into things you don't type in chat rooms. Additionally, I talk to a British liaison there weekly for the purposes of leader training in the Ukrainian Army. I'll just say that I don't read any media reports on what's going on there because I don't really enjoy fiction.

I've made it a point in my life to adventure to different areas with vastly different people. Ill go to bars with "Let's go Brandon" signs on the wall, then Ill venture to bars with Pride flags plastered everywhere. From rugged, rural guys who want the 'leave it to beaver' America back to trans people who taught me the difference between trans and cross dressers to BBQs in the hood where Im the only white guy. Ive truly experienced so many different populations of people.

I've learned to try my best not to hold resentment toward people. We're all just products of our environments afterall.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
How's this for a $10 order from a German bakery

Foot long ham, turkey, chorizo sub
Foot long chorizo with German pickles
Foot long dog wrapped in bacon
Foot long dog with relish
Sausage with sauerkraut
Qt of potato salad
you can't even get a MickeyD quarter pounder with fries here for that. that's awesome.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Walking around Macro, like a Costco, getting dogs, sausages, burgers, chicken pieces for today's no open bars Buddha celebration i was talking to the housekeeper. Asking about how much she talks to her family etc as the caretakers said she can use their phone to talk. Turns out mama doesn't have a phone, so needs to use one of her sister's so quite a runaround.

We finish shopping, bag and box everything up, on the way out are Realme, Vivo, Oppo, Cherry etc mobile phone counters. Realme has a buy 1 get 1 promo so a decent cellphone from them with 5G costs about $150 or about 1/2 month pay. I bought her the phones, then we went to AIS like AT&T to get sims. A sim with unlimited 5G plan for the year was $96. 8 bucks a month is just crazy, I'll have to update mine next week when it's time to renew my monthly plan.

Now one of the caretakers has to set up the phones with the apps they'll need to talk. Then the housekeeper will have to make the 6hr round trip to give mama her phone.

Big Gus is here to prep the chicken, 5kgs drumsticks and 5kgs thighs were less than $30 total

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
*le sigh* it’s a bit f***ed being someone who sees you as a useless person to help, but simultaneously is someone they reach out to for help. And then when they do reach out, ignore everything.

This is a seriously f***ed up situation and I have no idea wtf to do. I’m 1/3 people that know the situation rn and I have no idea what to do.

Let your imagination run wild here and you’re probably accurate. If you’re really curious then send me a DM, but only do that if you can give me advice I haven’t thought of

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad