Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov - Protecting Our Investment

Ninebreaker

Mar 4, 2014
I'm very worried we won't be able to keep Zadorov. He's been nothing but a warrior in the playoffs, with big hits and big goals. He's got a great personality, and is someone that can be a bit of a foil to the Captain's stoicism. He absolutely needs to be re-signed.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
there's always one guy who outperforms himself in the playoffs and get more money then he deserves, although in Zadorovs I don't think that will be an issue he has been solid for the entire season with us and id be willing to take that risk and he is tall and physical enough if we wanted to trade him we could, the only thing id make sure of is we don't give him a full NTC.

Zadorov has had good playoff performances before so this isn't a guy who rode one good playoffs to a big money contract. The problem with Zadorov has always been his consistency and his penchant for bad penalties. I think Zadorov has been better with regard to the latter. I feel that with Zadorov you have to live with him not having an impact for parts of the regular season. But when Zadorov is focused on playing good hockey he can definitely make the type of impact we saw from him in the playoffs.

I actually don't know how Zadorov would be viewed as a UFA. The market is weird. Previously, he was a UFA and re-signed in Calgary. The price we paid for him suggests that he's seen as a #5. With that said, last year we saw Schenn get $ deal after essentially making league minimum money for years.

Acquisitions costs aside, I think if we are getting up there in the $5.5M range, are we not better off spending that money on a player who we can trust to anchor a second pairing? It's something to think about.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks base their UFA decisions based strictly on playoff performance, then both Zadorov and Lindholm would be 'priority signings'.

Along with Boeser and Silovs, and a few games from Joshua, most every other player in their lineup was pretty meh during the two series. Miller was decent--but Hughes and Pettersson definitely struggled at times.

So out of Lafferty, Blueger, Friedmann, Myers, Cole, DeSmith, Joshua, Zadorov and Lilndholm, the decision is pretty simple. Lindholm and Zadorov, and if there's enough money, Joshua. That's about it.

Last edited:

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
This is all rather "Elmer" and they are going to "run out of time" once other teams are allowed to negotiate in June.

Here is a clue, add a year to the term of the last offer which was reported to be 4.5M for 4/5 years.

Get it done or "Your Vancouver Canucks" can start imagining playing against him once again.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
A solid top 4 d who is well liked both in the locker room and the city.
From a commercial stand point I really dont see how you dont sign the guy unless he's asking for a ridiculous amount of money and term.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
A solid top 4 d who is well liked both in the locker room and the city.
From a commercial stand point I really dont see how you dont sign the guy unless he's asking for a ridiculous amount of money and term.

Hmm… I am not sure that there is much commercial value in Zadorov and I don’t think it matters. I would also say that Zadorov knows how to speak to his audience. I wouldn’t be surprised if he trashes Vancouver or us if he leaves.

If the Canucks base their UFA decisions based strictly on playoff performance, then both Zadorov and Lindholm would be 'priority signings'.

There should be some balance but ultimately you need/want players who produce come playoff time.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Hmm… I am not sure that there is much commercial value in Zadorov and I don’t think it matters. I would also say that Zadorov knows how to speak to his audience. I wouldn’t be surprised if he trashes Vancouver or us if he leaves.

There should be some balance but ultimately you need/want players who produce come playoff time.
Half a season here and he’s already one if the fan favs. There’s absolutely commercial value here, it’s like kb3 again.

As for trashing van after he leaves yeah probably lol

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Half a season here and he’s already one if the fan favs. There’s absolutely commercial value here, it’s like kb3 again.

As for trashing van after he leaves yeah probably lol

Haha well I’m not saying there wouldn’t be a few Zadorov jersies sold, I just don’t think he will move the needle commercially. Bieksa was a home grown talent and long time Canuck. He also benefited from having the reputation of being one of the Canucks’ best Dmen during his time here starting from his sophomore season.

Reactions: LordBacon

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Zadorov has had good playoff performances before so this isn't a guy who rode one good playoffs to a big money contract. The problem with Zadorov has always been his consistency and his penchant for bad penalties. I think Zadorov has been better with regard to the latter. I feel that with Zadorov you have to live with him not having an impact for parts of the regular season. But when Zadorov is focused on playing good hockey he can definitely make the type of impact we saw from him in the playoffs.

I actually don't know how Zadorov would be viewed as a UFA. The market is weird. Previously, he was a UFA and re-signed in Calgary. The price we paid for him suggests that he's seen as a #5. With that said, last year we saw Schenn get $ deal after essentially making league minimum money for years.

Acquisitions costs aside, I think if we are getting up there in the $5.5M range, are we not better off spending that money on a player who we can trust to anchor a second pairing? It's something to think about.

I think adding a year or two is better than seeing the contract start with a 5.

4.75 x 6 years possibly?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks are truly serious about bringing Zadorov back, they have the means to do it.

He was absolutely fearless during this playoff run, and was a one-man wrecking ball in his own zone. But beyond that, he also led Canuck d-men in scoring, and showed a surprising flair in the offensive zone. And he has an uncanny ability to sneak his shots through from the point to create garbage goals around the crease.

But beyond that he's a leader on the ice and in the dressing room--earning lavish praise from Rick Tocchet for his leadership qualities.

If you were to base the Canucks UFA decisions strictly on this year's playoffs, Zadorov would go to the head of the 'must re-sign' list. The fact is the Canucks just play 'bigger' when he's in the lineup.

oba

Feb 2, 2024
It's a real good title.

"protecting our investment".
and indeed it is.

Z likes it here.

However Z has an agent by name of Milstein.

Now this is a public board, so I'm going to be careful.

But what if he switched agents.

Why would he want to do that, you ask.

To get a better deal done. One that suits his future better. Of course.

It need not be a problem at all where building a champion team is concerned.

Certainly, Z is free to be creative on his own account.

Dan Milstein is a Ukranian-born entrepreneur. These folks are experts greasing wheels to make everyone happy. No one has to get fired either.

Options exist.

I hope I'm not stepping out of line here.

But the ideal scenario is making a deal where the team's cap space won't suffer so much. Such deals are possible.

Again, it requires outside the box thinking.

Milstein has a book "17 cents and a dream". He also represents Michayev and Klimovich.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sometimes a player's value to a team and a franchise outweighs their contributions on the ice.

The late Gino Odjick was a classic example. Was he great hockey player? Probably not. But his character, and the way he stood up for his teammates, made him far more valuable than the points and assists. He was also a living inspiration to other kids playing hockey in Canada's First Nations.

Not saying Zadorov would ever be as popular as Gino. But his contributions as a leader in the room and a menacing physical presence on the ice, make him a 'must re-sign' imo. The team takes a cue from him, and just seems to 'play bigger and tougher' whenever he's out there.

JimmyJiveJones

Jan 28, 2019
Im hoping theyll meet in the middle and he signs 5.25mil x 5. I want to reiterate how much of a big deal having this type of player in the lineup. Like its been said soo many times the team plays bigger and for our smallish players, its about protection too

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Proven playoff performer, that's all I can say. You resign these types of players. Not only was he scoring, but he was the single reason we won the physical battles. No player in the NHL can touch him right now, he can just bully his way. Nobody likes a bully, but we do really love our own bully.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Sometimes a player's value to a team and a franchise outweighs their contributions on the ice.

The late Gino Odjick was a classic example. Was he great hockey player? Probably not. But his character, and the way he stood up for his teammates, made him far more valuable than the points and assists. He was also a living inspiration to other kids playing hockey in Canada's First Nations.

Not saying Zadorov would ever be as popular as Gino. But his contributions as a leader in the room and a menacing physical presence on the ice, make him a 'must re-sign' imo. The team takes a cue from him, and just seems to 'play bigger and tougher' whenever he's out there.
Ron Delorme was like that as a player for the Canucks. He might be total dogshit as an amateur scout but he bled for the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad