NEW: Time To Celebrini! Sharks' Draft Lottery Victory Mailbag

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think this is very reasonable.

I have this totally wild and probably wrong foretelling that Ferraro is going to be traded at the draft for a late 1st rounder. And/or used to move a 2nd into the top 10 or something. Just think he’s going to be packaged for something during the draft that’ll surprise and delight. I’m putting this here in case I happen to be right.
I would be thrilled if you were right. I have absolutely no idea how Ferraro is viewed around the industry. I’m less hopeful now than I was during the middle of the season that he has much value. There was that weird month or so where Friedman/etc. seemed to be trying to build his value… I wonder if it just didn’t work.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm not trying to argue with you on opinion or what could happen, and I'm not a Kunin apologist. I'm simply pointing out that Grier called out only a few players as playing his kind of Sharks hockey. He said, "Kunny is the kind of player who's always in the fight every day, and represents what we're trying to build here. I wish he fought less, but he's out there battling every day." Combined with the sometimes-A, That doesn't sound like a guy that Grier's going to move on from at RFA. He didn't give that clear a message about anyone else in his locker room clear out interview.

Grier said he could see Zadina staying because there's potential if he figures out mentally how to play a complete game and not worry about points -- that's a player I could see him moving on from if the chips fall the right way. But absent us signing Macklin and Smith and signing/trading for a really solid established top/middle 6 vet in the offseason, or grier trying to play 4D chess to pump Kunin's value which seems pretty silly, I think Kunin is in the plans.
I know you're not anything like that. I'm not trying to make you out like that but I also just don't agree that penciling in Kunin into next year's lineup is automatic even with what Grier has said about him. That kind of talk about his battle left out his effectiveness as an actual player in the game similar to how Douglas Murray was talked about before he was traded from here. He also took calls on him at the deadline so I doubt he's that determined to keep Kunin on. Sometimes, talk like that is only done to try and generate trade interest in a player.

I'd be more okay with keeping Zadina on even though he's also an awful hockey player because his cap hit is still in line with a depth level player that can't be trusted in a top nine role yet while having that potential. Though I just think that if we're trying to be more competitive next year, replacing as many players as we can with better players is the only real solution to that. It's just not going to be that hard to find five or six forwards that are better than Kunin and they should be pursued. They should only seriously look to bring him back if they can get him to take a paycut at Sturm's rate even if it means giving him four or five years.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I think you waive Burroughs and bury him in the AHL, healthy-scratch Vlasic, and trade Rutta. I would also certainly be open to trading Ferraro if someone gave us value for him.

Ferraro-FA signing (DeMelo/Carrier/Chatfield)
Mukhamadullin-Benning
Thrun-Emberson
Vlasic
Thompson (8D/first call-up)

I think it’s time to see what Mukh can do. He won’t benefit from another AHL season any more than he would an NHL season. Obviously shelter his minutes a ton, and make sure he has an adequate partner (Benning if healthy would be a fine option), give him PP minutes and a ton of film. He’s 22, it’s time to let him fly.
I like that plan for the defense. I just worry that it's going to be very hard to move Rutta in the offseason with a $2.75 million cap hit. And then we'll see if Burroughs gets sent down/moved. We know how appealing his mentality and gritty style of play can be to coaches. You know he's going to show up in those ways in training camp.

Obviously at least one addition would be really important. I just hope that with this awkward situation with so many subpar defenders under contract that it's not Mukhamadullin, Emberson, or Thrun who end up getting the short end of the stick.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Joshua and Stenlund are great calls. I also like Warren Foegele.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I think that signing a #1 center (few options available), a good puck-moving offensive defenseman (maybe trade for Rielly), and a solid shutdown-type defenseman (few options available) should be good so that the team can shelter the prospects.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Just jumping in here to say congrats on winning the lottery. My father lives out in the bay area and I've been to numerous Sharks games. Love the atmosphere you guys have and always pulled for the Sharks. The fans have always been super friendly, even when it was a Rangers/Sharks game.

Getting a local area kid is unreal and not to mention he's an unreal prospect. Hopefully this is the turning point. If Grier is anything like Drury, who he learned under, you guys are in good hands moving forward.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Just jumping in here to say congrats on winning the lottery. My father lives out in the bay area and I've been to numerous Sharks games. Love the atmosphere you guys have and always pulled for the Sharks. The fans have always been super friendly, even when it was a Rangers/Sharks game.

Getting a local area kid is unreal and not to mention he's an unreal prospect. Hopefully this is the turning point. If Grier is anything like Drury, who he learned under, you guys are in good hands moving forward.
The Rangers have pretty much always been my #2 since I got into hockey in the early '90s and for some reason fell in love with Adam Graves. So I'm all in favor of crossover Rangers-Sharks love. I just wish the Rangers had been the team to trade for Tomas Hertl, but ultimately I think it worked out for the best that they didn't.

On a side note, I've really enjoyed watching Will Cuylle's development this year and I've been hoping that our second first round pick from 2023, Quentin Musty, can use Cuylle as a model of sorts and be a lot like him when he grows up...in the next few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad