Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Oates talking with the Marner camp? Mitchy was concerned about the media and threw his gloves?
Sums up Mitchy perfectly.
Kinda doubt in the middle of a game Mitch is thinking "Jeez I'm going to get roasted on Twitter tomorrow because the PP sucks".

No, he's in the moment.

No one would care about throwing the gloves if he goes out onto the ice and goes beast mode. It's just that throwing his gloves was the fight, it was the effort he put forth in response to getting shut down.

Everyone gets shut down in the playoffs, don't cry about it in the bench. Or do cry about it IDGAF, go yell at your teammates, whatever it takes, but then go out on the ice and dig deep, go to the hard areas of the ice and rise above.

That's why he's got to go.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Oates talking with the Marner camp? Mitchy was concerned about the media and threw his gloves?
Sums up Mitchy perfectly.
First of all that speech is a great one of.
First, no, it’s not all Marner’s fault. I’ve said repeatedly the sum of the core isn’t good enough for the playoffs.

Second, this isn’t a one of like Oates is addressing. We have 8 years of futility with each core member having multiple issues throughout.

Third, he gets paid for the most difficult matchups. Making 4 million more than Nylander the entire time. If he can’t handle those matchups, he should be making 6.9 to 8.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nineteen67

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Well eventually it will be those 2 good forwards and Bouchard. They can move Nurse in the future. Find a good goalie and they can have the big 2, D and goalie core.
That’s what I’d rather.
yeah it feels like the major difference is the Oil drafted and developed an impactful offensive dman, whose cost during ELC/RFA years offset the money wasted on Nurse. oh well.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
yeah it feels like the major difference is the Oil drafted and developed an impactful offensive dman, whose cost offset the money wasted on Nurse. oh well.
We’ve seen the major impacts of a Makar, Bouchard, Hedman, McAvoy. It’s something we seriously lack. We spent too much time drafting wingers. You don’t know who pans out so you need more focus drafting more every year.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Kinda doubt in the middle of a game Mitch is thinking "Jeez I'm going to get roasted on Twitter tomorrow because the PP sucks".

No, he's in the moment.

No one would care about throwing the gloves if he goes out onto the ice and goes beast mode. It's just that throwing his gloves was the fight, it was the effort he put forth in response to getting shut down.

Everyone gets shut down in the playoffs, don't cry about it in the bench. Or do cry about it IDGAF, go yell at your teammates, whatever it takes, but then go out on the ice and dig deep, go to the hard areas of the ice and rise above.

I do kind of think MM is in his own head to the degree that he is imagining the media and social media response to his/his line's failure to produce.

also he didn't go 'beast mode' but he scored his only goal of the series after that bench nonsense.

Reactions: Kazparov

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
These facts ARE NOT GOING TO CHANGE:

(1) Marner's game doesnt translate into the playoffs on the Leafs.

(2) In the regular season, where there is less contact and more time and space, Mitch does well. His salary is based on this.

(3) Tre just paid his future #1 right winger: Nylander.

If the team wants to improve they have to trade Marner. Marner could win a cup next year by being a playmaker ON ANOTHER TEAM. Great for that team and Mitch. For the Leafs to improve they need Marner's cap space. And Marner isn't the guy to help the Leafs.

Fact (4) Marner needs a change of scene. If he starts the season on the Leafs he will SORELY regret it. I'm worried his agent is that dumb.

We’ve seen the major impacts of a Makar, Bouchard, Hedman, McAvoy. It’s something we seriously lack. We spent too much time drafting wingers. You don’t know who pans out so you need more focus drafting more every year.
Terrible rebuild. Terrible drafting. Tavares rushed the rebuild. The perpetual lack of Right D, goalies, and left wingers is all that needs to be said.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I do kind of think MM is in his own head to the degree that he is imagining the media and social media response to his/his line's failure to produce.

also he didn't go 'beast mode' but he scored his only goal of the series after that bench nonsense.
Then he probably needs the change. Not everyone is suited for an environment, especially if things aren’t going like this one. It’s not healthy if you already have a social anxiety towards it. You will most likely not reach your destination if everything else around you isn’t very strong and it’s mostly good times.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I feel the exact opposite...in what world do the leafs have to add a sweetner and retain 4 m for marner? There will be teams lined up for him if he becomes available. Book it.
If he is tradeable for something that doesn't make the team worse, he will be traded like anybody else. This assumes the combination of players and 1 year capspace is of equal value to effectively a 100 pt player. He must also agree to waive his NMC.
If it doesn't happen and it doesn't happen with any of the 4, there isn't anything there. Hard to imagine MLSE isn't looking at every option.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
While not against a core trade like I have been in the past, I still do not thinking trading Mitch Marner or anybody else is 100% needed,, I don't want to see him traded just for the sake of trading him, the return has to be significant you can't just trade him for magic beans.

If The Marner/ Saros deal were to to happen I would be down for that so long as there was an extension for Saros because that is a guy who has proven to be an elite goaltender and goaltending has always been the most important position in hockey to me plus the Leafs would save 6 million or close to it on the cap and could use those savings to either sign Pesce or help replace Marner with a Lindholm signing or something.

But you don't trade Marner just to trade him he's a great player and if all you can get is futures then I'd rather keep himbecause as I said this isn't a trade where you can afford to take magic beans.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
First, no, it’s not all Marner’s fault. I’ve said repeatedly the sum of the core isn’t good enough for the playoffs.

Second, this isn’t a one of like Oates is addressing. We have 8 years of futility with each core member having multiple issues throughout.

Third, he gets paid for the most difficult matchups. Making 4 million more than Nylander the entire time. If he can’t handle those matchups, he should be making 6.9 to 8.
He wasn't getting those matchups when papi was in thats for sure

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Then he probably needs the change. Not everyone is suited for an environment, especially if things aren’t going like this one. It’s not healthy if you already have a social anxiety towards it. You will most likely not reach your destination if everything else around you isn’t very strong and it’s mostly good times.
I have come around to this position though I have been a Marner fan bo(i)y for years. I still think it will be tough to find a good trade.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
These facts ARE NOT GOING TO CHANGE:

(1) Marner's game doesnt translate into the playoffs on the Leafs.

(2) In the regular season, where there is less contact and more time and space, Mitch does well. His salary is based on this.

(3) Tre just paid his future #1 right winger: Nylander.

If the team wants to improve they have to trade Marner. Marner could win a cup next year by being a playmaker ON ANOTHER TEAM. Great for that team and Mitch. For the Leafs to improve they need Marner's cap space. And Marner isn't the guy to help the Leafs.

Fact (4) Marner needs a change of scene. If he starts the season on the Leafs he will SORELY regret it. I'm worried his agent is that dumb.

Terrible rebuild. Terrible drafting. Tavares rushed the rebuild. The perpetual lack of Right D, goalies, and left wingers is all that needs to be said.

Dubas destroyed the team when a former player in Shanahan approved a deal that most GMs would have passed on. Former player ensures current player is overpaid and helps raise the bar for all other players going forward.

Imagine that. The brass still clueless too. Its hilarious. Its as though Shanahan attempted to shift the NHL to NuHockey through a puppet GM amd get players paid more at the top end. He used the Leafs platform for his own agendas and they were none the wiser.

Player safety guy. NuHockey. Overpays on all stars. Interesting stuff

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

No, he's in the moment.

Evidently Oates was talking to his camp and that’s message he relayed.

I hope they don’t trade him to one of the southern teams….keep him Canada or Minnesota.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I have come around to this position though I have been a Marner fan bo(i)y for years. I still think it will be tough to find a good trade.
Nylander is more suited to Toronto. He’s Willy Styles and doesn’t give a rats a** about the media.

That being said, I want to reiterate that it is not all Marner’s fault and change is about more than just half the cap. That’s a big part but there is now more.
The entire core has a problem with sustained north/south playoff hockey.

Nylander is not innocent either. He can struggle at times with it as well. You can get away with one as long as he finds ways to score and the rest of the core can do it consistently. Nylander is signed and for my money is the better goal scorer.

So it’s not just getting rid of Marner because he’s the entire problem, it’s not just getting rid of Tavares and giving Marner 12+ million, it’s 2 of 4 that need to change IMO if we want a better playoff able team.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nylander is more suited to Toronto. He’s Willy Styles and doesn’t give a rats a** about the media.

That being said, I want to reiterate that it is not all Marner’s fault and change is about more than just half the cap. That’s a big part but there is now more.
The entire core has a problem with sustained north/south playoff hockey.

Nylander is not innocent either. He can struggle at times with it as well. You can get away with one as long as he finds ways to score and the rest of the core can do it consistently. Nylander is signed and for my money is the better goal scorer.

So it’s not just getting rid of Marner because he’s the entire problem, it’s not just getting rid of Tavares and giving Marner 12+ million, it’s 2 of 4 that need to change IMO if we want a better playoff able team.

If Marner was on a 9m x 8 most of the city would be upset about his performance in the PO, but not like this.

Contracts you cant live up to tend to destroy players reps in a cap league. To be honest they need to do a luxury tax system or something.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
People need to realize we won’t win this trade, the return will not match the expectations I’m reading here. The circumstances of his preferences, his cap hit, his pending UFA, our position of weakness, we will be disappointed. You’re for sure losing the best player in this trade, so let’s accept this is an unfortunate situation we need to make the best out of, this isn’t some buffet like I read here, prepare to be underwhelmed.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

That Oates rant was so dumb. Don't know anything about him off the ice but maybe his intellect is on par with Marner's, who knows?

If he is tradeable for something that doesn't make the team worse, he will be traded like anybody else. This assumes the combination of players and 1 year capspace is of equal value to effectively a 100 pt player. He must also agree to waive his NMC.
If it doesn't happen and it doesn't happen with any of the 4, there isn't anything there. Hard to imagine MLSE isn't looking at every option.
It's simple - do you care about regular season, or playoffs?

If the answer is regular season than trading him to make the team better would be so difficult we wouldn't even be talking about it, we'd just extend him.

If the answer is playoffs, you could give him away for nothing and the cap space alone would be more than enough to make the team better.

Yes he does have the NMC, glad to see you're on the ball! :)

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
People need to realize we won’t win this trade, the return will not match the expectations I’m reading here. The circumstances of his preferences, his cap hit, his pending UFA, our position of weakness, we will be disappointed. You’re for sure losing the best regular season player in this trade, so let’s accept this is an unfortunate situation we need to make the best out of, this isn’t some buffet like I read here, prepare to be underwhelmed.
FYP.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If Marner was on a 9m x 8 most of the city would be upset about his performance in the PO, but not like this.

Contracts you cant live up to tend to destroy players reps in a cap league. To be honest they need to do a luxury tax system or something.
Being scared or disinterested in the playoffs, sulking about it, and using his entourage to disparage the fans and media is not a great way to garner support.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
People need to realize we won’t win this trade, the return will not match the expectations I’m reading here. The circumstances of his preferences, his cap hit, his pending UFA, our position of weakness, we will be disappointed.
The Leafs AND MARNER, need change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad