Player Discussion Marner Talk - Fresh, insightful comments are welcome

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
How this is handled (and again it’s all speculation at this point) is how Tre will live or die. You’ve got to pick the right prospects in a trade. Based on the locations you might be given. Then you can look at a Geuntzel/Marchessault and Montour free agency. We could walk from Bertuzzi and keep Domi.
I'm not interested in Marchessault who'll be 34 half way through next season or Montador who's 30 and really had only 1 great season then reverted back to being just a decent D , he's also not very good defensively .

I like Geunzel but he turns 30 in October and it'll probably take 8/9m on a long term deal to get him to come here , then you wonder how long he can continue to a ppg winger .

it's going to be a very interesting off season

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Remember Mitch blocking shots and playing hard in the Washington series? Where did that Mitch go?
He blocked the shot early in the first Boston series to win a game at home. That might have been the moment he determined playoff hockey isn’t worth it.

Reactions: saffronleaf

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I'd be very surprised if a Marner deal returned nothing but futures. Any team is going to look to move cap space in that sort of deal IMO.

All boils down to how willing Marner is to go to multiple teams vs. one or two.

I can really see him going for anywhere between a star for star trade or roster player, prospect and pick.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd be very surprised if a Marner deal returned nothing but futures. Any team is going to look to move cap space in that sort of deal IMO.

All boils down to how willing Marner is to go to multiple teams vs. one or two.

I can really see him going for anywhere between a star for star trade or roster player, prospect and pick.

Wonder if Vancouver sours on Pettersson if they'd want to roll the dice on a Marner swap. Rutherford likes his ex-Leafs, and Petey seems unhappy with Vancouver for whatever reason. Maybe he'll want to take a stab at Mats Sundin's old job.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Just curious too where all this defense was during the series. None of these guys showed their faces to defend Marner when the games were actually happening because you literally couldn't with the way he was performing.

Wait a week and a half when the games aren't so fresh in everyone's mind and somehow this bullshit is able to fly again.

by the end of the offseason they'll be calling him gretzky again and shitting on willy

Reactions: arso40

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
What’s up with Dante Fabro? Could be a prime pick up ready for a huge breakout. Marner for saros, fabro pick and or prospect?
if we are dealing with the Preds, we have to ask for Askarov. he is NHL ready, and will be a franchise goalie.
if you want a cup in Toronto, its Askarov, not Saros that would lead us there
Askarov and Fabbro would be good enough for me

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Wonder if Vancouver sours on Pettersson if they'd want to roll the dice on a Marner swap. Rutherford likes his ex-Leafs, and Petey seems unhappy with Vancouver for whatever reason. Maybe he'll want to take a stab at Mats Sundin's old job.

My gut tells me Marner goes somewhere away from the Canadian media hockey market.

Reactions: fahad203

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
He's one hell of a politician. It was a yes no question. Stupid me would have answered "No" but then again I would never have doubled and tripled down on them.

it's a delicate balance because on the one hand you want to be honest and hold people accountable, but on the other hand you don't want to talk down assets you may want to trade and hurt the return

Reactions: myleafs and ToneDog

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
From a pure asset management perspective this team lacks a lot of core pieces. Goalies are unpredictable and decline fast. I'd rather look for a 1B guy this year, see what Woll can do and then look for a 1A next season if Woll gets injured.

I'd much rather look for a replacement top 6 winger and a pick or a D than a goalie right now.

The desperation for getting a centre that isn't Tavares to play 2C please.......

Reactions: TMLife17

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'm not interested in Marchessault who'll be 34 half way through next season or Montador who's 30 and really had only 1 great season and he's reverted back to his being just a decent D , he's also not very good defensively .

I like Geunzel but he turns 30 in October and it'll probably take 8/9m on a long term deal to get him to come here , then you wonder how long he can continue to a ppg winger .

it's going to be a very interesting off season
Finding some players to get Matthews and the team into the Conference finals at least in the next 3-4 years would be huge. Even if someone is a bit older, that’s still moves well spent. Spinning out wheels isn’t. Like you said, this is Tre’s most important summer.

Reactions: sunstersun

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I doubt a team will take the full cap hit. I expect money to come back. Marner for Saros makes some sense. Hopefully we can get them to add something. Does Mitch like country music and does ROR put in a good word?
You’ve never been to Nashville, eh?

Fun facts.

Do you know who named it Music City, and why?

Legend has it the Queen of England in the 1800s said the Fisk (College) Jubilee Singers were so good they must come from a music city. Several decades later WSM radio named it Music City USA.

Although country music is big it’s also known as a place for all types of music - folk, bluegrass, gospel, blues, rock and roll.

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
Finding some players to get Matthews and the team into the Conference finals at least in the next 3-4 years would be huge. Even if someone is a bit older, that’s still moves well spent. Spinning out wheels isn’t. Like you said, this is Tre’s most important summer.
The question is are we retooling small or heavy. I assume every retool involves trading Marner, but are we aiming for more youth talent/draft picks or are we aiming for older guys. Coz once we trade Marner we're injecting a ton of volatility into the team.

I'm more comfortable with the idea of a bigger retool in 2024 since our prospects are quite limited. Spending money on older guys next year when Tavares comes off the books strikes me as making more sense.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
If our 47 million dollar core of elite goal scorers could get more than one goal it wouldn't matter. Instead you blame it on a 3 million dollar goalie who allowed ONE GOAL in regulation time in game 7.

Your schtick is a failure.

many things are true;

• sammy giving up only one goal in regulation gave the team a reasonable chance to win in game 7
  • the team as it is structured in terms of cap is one where you'd hope the offense can make up for any deficiencies, but instead the offense didn't even produce at a mediocre level
  • sammy generally lost his goaltending duels by giving up multiple soft goals over the course of the series

the offense is more to blame but you'd be crazy to resign samsonov; he has proven to be a goaltender that will lose the goaltending battle vs opposing goaltenders in the playoffs

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
From a pure asset management perspective this team lacks a lot of core pieces. Goalies are unpredictable and decline fast. I'd rather look for a 1B guy this year, see what Woll can do and then look for a 1A next season if Woll gets injured.

I'd much rather look for a replacement top 6 winger and a pick or a D than a goalie right now.

The desperation for getting a centre that isn't Tavares to play 2C please.......

We also have to give Hidelby a look. Or we should. I think he has earned it

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

If you get Patterson, you are essentially trading like for like
Except that Patterson just resigned for a massive deal

Reactions: saffronleaf

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Surprised no one has suggested yet that Marner gave Nylander migraines.

4tnk9r.jpg

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
What "form" is that? Marner is and will never be as physically aggressive as we've already seen Cowen is.
It's literally form, I wasn't referencing it figuratively, and as mentioned earlier in the comment, one reminiscent of a more courageous player that seemed to attack the net more and who seemed far more comfortable in the middle of the ice.

I've seen some highlights of Cowan, but I don't see play that's so distinct from Marner's junior play to mistake him (Cowan) for a Marchand type. I've seen a few highlights that show Cowan's tenacity in the offensive zone, but again, nothing revelatory in comparison to Marner's play at the same level.

So the question stands for any who have seen both play and can comment on the differences and similarities.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
All these years I am still in disbelief this guy took 10.9 M on the cap. Like why? How? Such a ridiculous contract. Especially when you already have 2 other forwards making at least 11M, Dubas is a POS.

in what world would it ever make sense to offer more than the threshold for four first round picks. you take the four firsts if a team is stupid enough to pay more than that threshold. granted that threshold was something like 10.5, but still.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Somebody can correct me if I am misremembering but didn't Dubas have to trade Marleau and pick up Clarkson from Vegas to make room for eventual Marner overpayment? If so, he cost us Jarvis who is a beauty.
  • 2019-Jun-22 Marleau traded from Toronto Maple Leafs with conditional round 1 pick in the 2020 draft (Seth Jarvis) and round 7 pick in the 2020 draft (Alexander Pashin) to Carolina Hurricanes for round 6 pick in the 2020 draft (Axel Rindell)

View attachment 871359

Even if we lose the trade, the bonus is we rid ourselves of Paul. That should make the trade easier to swallow.
Ya he probably won’t post here anymore

Reactions: ToneDog

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
He blocked the shot early in the first Boston series to win a game at home. That might have been the moment he determined playoff hockey isn’t worth it.
Yup probably the moment he realized big boy hockey hurts and maybe he better just dipsy doodle around with a little razzle dazzle thrown in to amaze his supporters

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad