Player Discussion Kaiden Guhle

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Charlie Mcavoy has never played a full season in his career, Bruins should trade the scrub.

It's absolutely bonkers how ungrateful the fans are to have a player of the caliber of Guhle..what's funny is that it's 100% on usage. Had he played even half of Mathesons PP time he'd be revered as the next Chelios. Can't see past a stat line at all.
Mc Avoy plays on the PP for Boston,that won't happen with Guhle in Montreal while Matheson is on the roster and plays on the pp and then Hutson will be ready.

Bridge most of them and even Guhle/Slaf if we have too. AAV's stays manageable while we evaluate them closer to their prime years. Dach is going to be this way.

One good thing a bridge does is it gets you the player till age 33 ish. Vs Suzuki who will be a UFA at age 30. In most cases, you can let the asset go at age 33 but we will need Suzuki from age 30-33 for example. He's not signing for 3 or 4 years at that point if he continues his path so then you got to sign them for 7 or 8 years and past age 35.
Should have bridged CC too.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Mc Avoy plays on the PP for Boston,that won't happen with Guhle in Montreal while Matheson is on the roster and plays on the pp and then Hutson will be ready.

Should have bridged CC too.

I'm OK with Caufield at that rate. He is a 30 goal threat and will have many seasons at 30+. Dach going down created a situation where our Suzuki line was targeted. We need two good lines and then Caufield shines more than this past year.

Cap will be $92M+ very shortly. A 30 goal scorer will be looking for more than $7.85M. I'd agree with you if I felt Caufield would not average 30+ goals in this contract. I think he will

Someone like Slaf should be looked at for a long term extension. I'd easily sign him for 8x $7M this summer. Some say he should get more but I don't think so. It was a good half of a season playing with Suzuki. Slaf could be someone who breaks out next year into the 60-80 range and if he is closer to 80 pts, he's shooting for way more than $7M AAV. I can see pros/cons to the bridge and long term with him.

Rest I would easily bridge.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Guhle played 70 games and immediately went overseas to play for Canada after the season ended, don't think we need to be overdramatic about his health.
Guhle is a fine player and is now clearly a core player for us going forward.

He plays a heavy game. Or at least he tries to. I wonder if he has the 'weight' to continue that style of play without continuing to run into injury woes.

I would remind everyone of the sage words of Bill Parcells that "The best ability is availability".

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I'm OK with Caufield at that rate. He is a 30 goal threat and will have many seasons at 30+. Dach going down created a situation where our Suzuki line was targeted. We need two good lines and then Caufield shines more than this past year.

Cap will be $92M+ very shortly. A 30 goal scorer will be looking for more than $7.85M. I'd agree with you if I felt Caufield would not average 30+ goals in this contract. I think he will

Someone like Slaf should be looked at for a long term extension. I'd easily sign him for 8x $7M this summer. Some say he should get more but I don't think so. It was a good half of a season playing with Suzuki. Slaf could be someone who breaks out next year into the 60-80 range and if he is closer to 80 pts, he's shooting for way more than $7M AAV. I can see pros/cons to the bridge and long term with him.

Rest I would easily bridge.
I felt it was premature and could have waited,it would not have significantly increased his cap had he done what was expected of him that he has not yet achieved,whatever, it's done and this is not the thread for him,back to the Guhlster. lol

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I felt it was premature and could have waited,it would not have significantly increased his cap had he done what was expected of him that he has not yet achieved,whatever, it's done and this is not the thread for him,back to the Guhlster. lol

I think he still gets a similar contract after this past season (if we bridged him 1 year). If we bridged him 2 years, what happens if he scores 35 next year and the cap for 24/25 is $92M? That cost more than $8M IMO. Both Suzuki and Caufield's contract will be more attractive as time moves forward into a higher cap.

I'm OK with long term deals to guys like Slaf and Caufield as long as it's not bloated max deals. And Guhle is on the cusp of that as well. It's tricky with Guhle though. His value is deeper than just the goals/assists so I have a hard time with the long term AAV. It's possible that Guhle doesn't improve from where he is today and what you see is what you get. What is that worth?

McAvoy signed his 8x $9.5M Oct of 2021. At that stage, he was putting up 30 pts (+/-). A good question is what is he paid today if he was a UFA? Same AAV at $9.5M?

Last edited:

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I think he still gets a similar contract after this past season (if we bridged him 1 year). If we bridged him 2 years, what happens if he scores 35 next year and the cap for 24/25 is $92M? That cost more than $8M IMO. Both Suzuki and Caufield's contract will be more attractive as time moves forward into a higher cap.

I'm OK with long term deals to guys like Slaf and Caufield as long as it's not bloated max deals. And Guhle is on the cusp of that as well. It's tricky with Guhle though. His value is deeper than just the goals/assists so I have a hard time with the long term AAV. It's possible that Guhle doesn't improve from where he is today and what you see is what you get. What is that worth?

McAvoy signed his 8x $9.5M Oct of 2021. At that stage, he was putting up 30 pts (+/-). A good question is what is he paid today if he was a UFA? Same AAV at $9.5M?
It's all too late now and can't turn back time but I leave all the speculations and what ifs behind. The sample size to some were obviously more than enough,not for me but that's how it goes.

Maybe it';s me but I find that some contracts are premature and end up hurting ,as is evident, but it's not my business.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Part of our core, great young player to build the blueline around. Can hit, unlike cupcake Harris or Barron.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad