Player Discussion Ilya Mikheyev

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A disastrous season for Mikheyev....fortunately the contract has only one more year to run.....but paying $4.7m for a guy who scored one goal in 60 games is borderline disastrous.

And the chances of dealing that contract are just about 'nil'.....so I guess the Canucks will have to make the best of it......all you can hope or is a bounce-back season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
the one thing i've heard about that type of injury is that it takes more than a year to actually recover from. I am interested to see where his speed is at come fall. Whether or not it is with the canucks, we will see.

would stink to add another couple million over the next few years to ekman larrson on the dead money pile. The savings this year is fairly significant again though.

There was no bursts of speed from him. There were times where a prime Mik might have had a scoring or even breakaway opportunity but he just didn’t have that extra gear to get there.

Like Lafferty, for someone whose size and speed were suppose to be factors in the playoffs they were complete non factors. It’s unfortunate that Mik got injured. Maybe the soon to be 30 year old regains his former speed or he has forever lost a step. I would bet on the latter but it is a bit of a toss up.

With that said, I fully expect Mik to bounce back. He was shut down too late and didn’t have a summer to train. As long as he’s not mailing it in he should be motivated to produce like a top 6 forward since that’s something he has never fully accomplished.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Pretty sure he'll be bought out. That's an extra $3 million to re-sign a player.
Adding to the OEL dead cap is not wise.

I would rather just roll the dice next season and then bury him in the AHL if he still sucks.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
We are back here. Just like we were with Myers , Boeser, Garlund and even Miller at one point. How much assets should we include to dump Mikyev.

But this time we have more serious cap priorities. I think a team like the Hawks or SJ would pay a 5th or 7th for him.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
We are back here. Just like we were with Myers , Boeser, Garlund and even Miller at one point. How much assets should we include to dump Mikyev.

But this time we have more serious cap priorities. I think a team like the Hawks or SJ would pay a 5th or 7th for him.

You mean we would pay the Hawks or Sharks a pick to take his contract?

4.75M for 2 more years. Neither of those teams are loading up and paying draft capital for a guy that has 1 goal in 50 games or whatever it is. The rhetoric behind 'maybe he turns it around' isn't a pitch. Mikheyev is a negative value asset right now.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
A disastrous season for Mikheyev....fortunately the contract has only one more year to run.....but paying $4.7m for a guy who scored one goal in 60 games is borderline disastrous.

And the chances of dealing that contract are just about 'nil'.....so I guess the Canucks will have to make the best of it......all you can hope or is a bounce-back season.

Two more years.

The current management group has made a lot of savvy moves to turn the Canucks into a good team, but the Mikheyev signing is one of their few blunders. From what I've witnessed, he's had close to zero impact on the positive outcomes for the team since he signed. Unfortunately, this is going to be a difficult mistake to undo.

When the signing was first announced, I was immediately skeptical. I felt that either the term or the AAV was too much. Turns out that both were too much. The lesson is not to overpay for bottom 6 wingers who are "on pace" to have an excellent year, especially if they are older than 25.

The current regime has earned a lot of trust in their short stint. But it's annoying to see them overlook so many red flags about Mikheyev.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
When they signed Mikheyev it was because they wanted speed and to improve the penalty killing and Boudreau was still coach. I think they also thought he could help convice Kuzmenko to sign here. Now that the coach has changed and Kuzmenko is gone I don't think they really care too much if they need to buy him out. Yeah it's more dead cap but this team's window is the next two seasons so they can't sit around waiting for Mikheyev to find his form which he likely won't under Tocchet.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I think there are teams that would take him if we paid them a 2nd to do so and that's better than a buyout. If we buy him out we have almost 7 mil dead cap in the 25-26 season.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
My feeling is he'll be back and they'll hope he can magically rebound.

I think it'd take more than a 2nd for a team to take him on.

Unless they have a really good use of the free cap that they simply can't refuse, I can't see them buying him out.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
My feeling is he'll be back and they'll hope he can magically rebound.

I think it'd take more than a 2nd for a team to take him on.

Unless they have a really good use of the free cap that they simply can't refuse, I can't see them buying him out.
It would have to be a buyout vs a deal out. At this stage the Canucks really lack help internally from their limited prospect pool.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
When they signed Mikheyev it was because they wanted speed and to improve the penalty killing and Boudreau was still coach. I think they also thought he could help convice Kuzmenko to sign here. Now that the coach has changed and Kuzmenko is gone I don't think they really care too much if they need to buy him out. Yeah it's more dead cap but this team's window is the next two seasons so they can't sit around waiting for Mikheyev to find his form which he likely won't under Tocchet.

Management wanted Boudreau gone so no way they signed Mik for Boudreau. I think they did think Mik could be a top 6 player while giving you size, speed, and defensive acumen. That’s why I find Alvin’s admission troubling. You don’t give a middle 6 player with Mik’s pedigree that contract.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Management wanted Boudreau gone so no way they signed Mik for Boudreau. I think they did think Mik could be a top 6 player while giving you size, speed, and defensive acumen. That’s why I find Alvin’s admission troubling. You don’t give a middle 6 player with Mik’s pedigree that contract.
My interpretation of the comment was him taking a bit of heat off of Mikheyev because of a tough year coming back from the ACL rehab. I doubt he's here next year given how ruthless they need to be to continue being a contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad